• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The End Is Here..... Again

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There sure are a lot of people claiming the end is near the last week or so.

What is the likely hood of it being true this time?

In the law of averages, given the average "life span" of a mammalian species on earth is about a million years, with some having been around as long as 10 million years, given we've only been here for about 200,000 years, we should still have a fair amount of time left.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The end of the world is a fairly regular event, seems there is always a fundimentalist of some religion shouting doomsday is on us, give me all your worldly goods and prepare...

Given the statistics the chances of it being true are slim but never discount a rogue asteroid.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
For the Christian, the end , is not an end of life. The 'end times events' are the culmination of what God is doing with man on the earth. And though no precise date is ever given, much has been given in the Bible as to how these events will play out.

Whether or not we are on the verge of the 'end times' events to take place, man is always moving towards those end time events. And all of history and whatever is taking place today, is contributing to those end times events.

Sometimes there are periods of history where everything has the appearance of lining up to begin those events. Thus the Christian is watchful and recognizes it. Just because it didn't come at that time doesn't mean it couldn't have. And it doesn't mean it won't.

How many times I have always tried to tell people to have a store of supplies put back in case of some disaster. And how many times that has been mocked. Due to the constant repetition of life lived day in and out, people are lulled to sleep thinking that will never happen. Things will always be as they are. But then overnight, the shelves at the stores are empty.

It will be the same when the 'end times events' kick in.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Out of curiousity, what good does having a "store of supplies put back" when it comes to "the end?" I mean, it can only be to keep you going just a little longer than others, only to die of starvation anyway when the supplies run out. Surely, as a Christian, you can't imagine you can defeat God's plan for ending the world by stocking up?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

I suppose, in a way, it may very much depend on what most people will choose to do with their enforced “time-outs”. Will they go into deep self-reflection...? Will they use this opportunity to really look at themselves, their lives, their priorities so far...? Will they be open to seeing new truths about themselves...? Really good things could come out of this chaotic situation, possibly...

The “end” involves a collective change of perspective; a time of rapture, if you will. It could occur but it’s far from obvious...

aeon6

The likelihood is astronomical, but surely you wanted to hear that.
The context within which you plug such determinations is sacrosanct, yet alien to the very masses that attempt to rely on it for the continuance of their insignificant lives.

aeon6

And folks who fit that example have a much better track record than the doomsayers.

Doomsayers are a dime a dozen and seek to extort whatever is the most opportunistic deed. Witness the fraudulent test kits making their way through yet more oblivious people.
Because of the fragile nature of humans, that oblivion will be prevalent and will test the system before anything plateau's finally.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Out of curiousity, what good does having a "store of supplies put back" when it comes to "the end?" I mean, it can only be to keep you going just a little longer than others, only to die of starvation anyway when the supplies run out. Surely, as a Christian, you can't imagine you can defeat God's plan for ending the world by stocking up?

My advise for a store of supplies is for a natural disaster. Which if you have enough for at least a couple of weeks it is enough to survive on till things be brought back to normal.

Concerning the end times events, there is no preparation one can do to survive that way. Concerning the end time events the only solution is for one to come to Christ now and be saved and avoid those times. Once those end time events kick in, it is all over.

My comparison was that people act the same toward my advice toward keeping back stores in case of natural disaster as they do towards the Gospel of Jesus Christ. No worry. Things will always continue as they are now. Till it doesn't. Things change at a moments notice.

Good-Ole-Rebel

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No false claims need be noted.
How do we distinguish between the true ones and the false ones?

You claim that yoga is a religious practice.
I know it usually isn't, here in the US. But you keep repeating it as though that makes it more true or something.
It doesn't. Yoga can be a religious practice, but it's usually not. Not here in this country.

Go ahead, keep giving me reasons to not believe what you do. You're hardly the first Christian to do so.
Tom
ETA ~Google Harold Camping for another Christian take on this subject.~

Good-Ole-Rebel

How do we distinguish between the true ones and the false ones?

You claim that yoga is a religious practice.
I know it usually isn't, here in the US. But you keep repeating it as though that makes it more true or something.
It doesn't. Yoga can be a religious practice, but it's usually not. Not here in this country.

Go ahead, keep giving me reasons to not believe what you do. You're hardly the first Christian to do so.
Tom

I don't care if you believe me or not. Your hardly the first pagan to think I care what you believe.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Or it will be completely forgotten and not talked about.
at all
ever
It was the end. It's a long story. We don't discuss it with outsiders.

Wait, that was Worf trying to explain the Original Series Klingons to the DS9 crew.