• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Divine Feminine and the Release of the "DaVinci Code" movie

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
As occasionally happens, tonight I got tripped up by there being nothing on. One thing that I kept coming across was a local evangalism network. I was kind of surprised to see the "DaVinci Code" being discussed, and when I 'officially' tuned in, it was actually because a person had released a book, apparently refuting Brown's book, and had put out a DVD for a discussion about how the movie was wrong, too. (Which could be ordered by calling the number at the bottom of the screen.) One of the things the writer and the interviewer were talking about being wrong in the book was the view of the early Christian churches' aspect of the Divine Feminine.

It hadn't occured to me until then that the release of the movie and of the book may wind up effecting other religions than Christianity, which seems to be its primary focus. I bring this up in its relation to popular themes of paganism, but I would welcome the input of other faiths, as well. I see the backlash at the "Code" book as being possibly detrimental to Wiccans, pagans, and other faiths, especially the ones that are being discussed as having 'corrupted' Dan Brown and the early Gnostics. The concept of there being a divine feminine, or of Diety having at least half of a feminine aspect seems to be a factor in many pagan beliefs.

Will the backlash against the book wind up hitting only those who believe in a Christian Divine Feminine, or will it be those who believe in any divine feminine? If it's the first, should we attempt to lend our support against it? (As a worshipper of Sophia and a former Christian, I will do so, if it happens.)

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
FeathersinHair said:
Will the backlash against the book wind up hitting only those who believe in a Christian Divine Feminine, or will it be those who believe in any divine feminine? If it's the first, should we attempt to lend our support against it? (As a worshipper of Sophia and a former Christian, I will do so, if it happens.)

There won't be a real backlash. This is all superficial. These Christian authors simply want to sell their own books. Gnostics and Wiccans will be fine. :) Besides, if people start giving you any crap, call some of us heathens over - we'll gladly put them in their place. Knockout

Fluffy

A fool
People might choose to use this as an excuse to justify their feelings but I don't think it will rack up any more anti-pagan feeling than already existed. It will preach to the choir but fail miserably at proselytising.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Interesting viewpoints, Fluffy and Darkdale! Thank you for sharing them! (I wrote this half- asleep, so I was worried no one would reply.)

It sounds like the heathens are the group to have as back-up, hehee!

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
FeathersinHair said:
It sounds like the heathens are the group to have as back-up, hehee!

eh, we are indeed - though you won't need us. The controversy really will be about making money for anti-Dan Brown authors. Most people will read it and talk about it with their churchmates and so forth, but it won't lead to outrage or civil action.

There are some Christians who are very afraid of the idea of the divine feminine, because it is a powerful concept. I started reading about Gnosticism five years ago, and that was the beginning of the end of Christianity for me. The Divine Feminine led to through Gnosticism, to Wicca, to Greek and Roman pagan traditions, to looking at Hinduism, and finally to Heathenism. It was the spark that kind of loosened the dogmatic chains - that let me explore.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Mmm, I don't really think the fact that some of us honour or actively worship female deities will spark any more negative sentiment in the wake of the Anti-Dan Brown stuff than already existed. The Christians who even know about us and who don't like us already don't like us, and if they follow this sort of stuff, it'll only be an extra excuse, I suppose.

Honestly though, I don't think we're on enough people's radar for there to be any sort of "backlash", Da Vinci Code or no Da Vinci Code. We just aren't that important.

Popeyesays

Revasser said:
Mmm, I don't really think the fact that some of us honour or actively worship female deities will spark any more negative sentiment in the wake of the Anti-Dan Brown stuff than already existed. The Christians who even know about us and who don't like us already don't like us, and if they follow this sort of stuff, it'll only be an extra excuse, I suppose.

Honestly though, I don't think we're on enough people's radar for there to be any sort of "backlash", Da Vinci Code or no Da Vinci Code. We just aren't that important.
The Divine Feminine has a great deal of importance in the Baha`i Writings. The initial visit upon Baha`u'llah was the Maid of Heaven (kind of like the Eastern Christian "Sophia").

"
While engulfed in tribulations I heard a most wondrous, most sweet voice, calling above My head. Turning My face, I beheld a Maiden - the embodiment of the remembrance of My Lord - suspended in the air before Me. So rejoiced was she in her very soul that her countenance shone with the ornament of the good-pleasure of God, and her cheeks glowed with the brightness of the All-Merciful. Betwixt earth and heaven she was raising a call which captivated the hearts and minds of men. She was imparting to both my inward and outward being tidings which rejoiced my soul, and the souls of God's honored servants. Pointing with her finger unto My head, she addressed all who are in heaven and all who are on earth, saying "By God! This is the Best-Beloved of the worlds, and yet ye comprehend not, and the power of His sovereignty within you, could ye but understand. This is the Mystery of God and His Treasure, the Cause of God and His glory unto all who are in the kingdoms of Revelation and creation, if ye be of them that perceive." [Surih of the Temple, official translation by Shoghi Effendi]

Bod, as described in the writings of the Baha`i Faith has nothing to do with gender.

Regards,
Scott

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
....Sophia?....

...I know it's just me... But i dont really think that exposing Gnosticism to a mass media is a very good idea. Dan Brown wrote a good fictional story about the Mona Lisa. *sigh* Part of me just doesn't want anyone to attatch it to Gnosticism because they'll misunderstand it, then misuse it, and we'll have another Christianity on our hands...

Of course, i dont think many regular people will make the connection to Gnostics, (thank goodness) but it may spark friction with the pagans. :149: I dont like that at all. People who don't want to try to understand anything will just become MORE ignorant about it. Some of the people who watch it will think they're an expert on the divine feminine, though they've never done any research... and more mayhem can only come of that.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
That's another thing I hadn't considered, and a very good point!

Now that I'm back in my usual 'optimistic' mode, though, maybe there's a chance that people will find the subject interesting and do further research on it themselves?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
FeathersinHair said:
That's another thing I hadn't considered, and a very good point!

Now that I'm back in my usual 'optimistic' mode, though, maybe there's a chance that people will find the subject interesting and do further research on it themselves?
That's also assuming that people are level-headed.
I know PLENTY of people (being around the christian community) who would like to have the film banned, and then there are those, like with Harry Potter who take it just a few steps too far.

I'm worrying about it more than I should... but it'll be really annoying to start hearing, "did you know that in the early christianity, they had a god and a goddess?" (it's been said to me before) or "mary magdelene was the holy grail!" *sigh* All I say to those statements, "I think you should go read more on early Christianity."

Or the topper, "Have you read The DaVinci Code yet? I think you'd like it because you're into goddesses and stuff, right?"

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Buttons* said:
Or the topper, "Have you read The DaVinci Code yet? I think you'd like it because you're into goddesses and stuff, right?"
My stepmom was asking how I'd like that book, and when I said I'd liked it, she said something along the lines of "It seemed like it was right up your alley, since it discusses the kind of things you seemed interested in." Although it wasn't far removed, in intent, from your 'topper', I actually found it kind of complimentary. *blushes* Maybe it was simply because it opened an opportunity to discuss the history of religion and the perception of the female, even if it was simply to differentiate between the book and history...

Should I be ashamed?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
FeathersinHair said:
My stepmom was asking how I'd like that book, and when I said I'd liked it, she said something along the lines of "It seemed like it was right up your alley, since it discusses the kind of things you seemed interested in." Although it wasn't far removed, in intent, from your 'topper', I actually found it kind of complimentary. *blushes* Maybe it was simply because it opened an opportunity to discuss the history of religion and the perception of the female, even if it was simply to differentiate between the book and history...

Should I be ashamed?
haha, no silly, no reason to be ashamed. Different people (me) just react differently than others do to certian things that are said.

My real problem/fear is that people will not really react kindly to the goddess. Or they will misunderstand the point. There's a great Oneness behind it all, and if people are only going to focus on the physical, then we may wind up back where we started. (i dont like taking things literally) The reason there's a feminine is for balance. To make sure people understood the nature of the complete One that is. (and, is not!) They're opposites that complete one another! That's the point!

i doubt people will gain that from the movie...