• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The dishonest use of the name "Christian"

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Feel free to show how the term "Separated brethren" implies that they now think the Popes were wrong about who gets a nice all-expense paid roast in hell. They still believe there's no salvation outside of the church. There's a reason they say "Separated", it has more to do than just the physical choice of which church they go to. The only reason they call Protestants "brethren" is because they also claim to believe in Christ. But I don't think that in any way shape or form shows that they now think they suddenly go to Heaven and that their popes were wrong all those years that Salvation is impossible outside the Catholic Church and its sacraments and doctrines.

Notice I did not ask you for proof that they consider Protestants to be "Separated Brethren", I was not disputing that. If anything, I should ask you to demonstrate what they consider "Separated brethren" to mean in detail.

Did you miss this part of the quote from Ctholic Encyclopedia?

"We do not rejoice at their disintegration, at their falling into religious indifference, or returning into political parties. No, for any shred of Christianity is better than blank worldliness"

And for the record, what they mean by "Christianity" is orthodox Christianity

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

"We do not rejoice at their disintegration, at their falling into religious indifference, or returning into political parties. No, for any shred of Christianity is better than blank worldliness"

'orthodox' simply means the 'right way'

no one can claim to be 'orthodox' unless your methods are in harmony with the scriptures that set out the 'right way' to be a christian. So a claim of orthodoxy does not necessarily make one a christian.

Shermana

Heretic

Ummm, I think I specifically asked you to prove that this somehow means that they don't think they are going to hell. Please prove how what you quoted says anything related to such. Did I ask what they mean by "Christianity"? Or did I ask what they mean by "Separated brethren"? If you can't even read a simple Catholic Encyclopedia article without putting your own twist on the words that aren't in there, how do you expect to tackle Greek manuscripts? Do your realize that what you quoted in no way shape or form says that they think Protestants are going to heaven or that the previous Popes' rulings are wrong?

Catholics still maintain that there is no salvation outside of the Roman Catholic church as far as I've read and heard. Ask any Catholic authority.

What do you think they mean by "Disintegration" anyway? Why did you underline "Religious indifference"? They are agreeing that some belief in Christianity is better than total Secularism, in this world. That's all they're saying. Anything else is reading into it something that's not there. (A specialty of "Christians).

So please, feel free to explain how your quote in any way whatsoever says what you're saying it says. And I will ask again: What do they mean by "Separated brethren" exactly?

Last edited:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Ummm, I think I specifically asked you to prove that this somehow means that they don't think they are going to hell. Please prove how what you quoted says anything related to such. Did I ask what they mean by "Christianity"? Or did I ask what they mean by "Separated brethren"? If you can't even read a simple Catholic Encyclopedia article without putting your own twist on the words that aren't in there, how do you expect to tackle Greek manuscripts? Do your realize that what you quoted in no way shape or form says that they think Protestants are going to heaven or that the previous Popes' rulings are wrong?

Catholics still maintain that there is no salvation outside of the Roman Catholic church as far as I've read and heard. Ask any Catholic authority.

What do you think they mean by "Disintegration" anyway? Why did you underline "Religious indifference"? They are agreeing that some belief in Christianity is better than total Secularism, in this world. That's all they're saying. Anything else is reading into it something that's not there. (A specialty of "Christians).

So please, feel free to explain how your quote in any way whatsoever says what you're saying it says. And I will ask again: What do they mean by "Separated brethren" exactly?

They don't believe Christians go to hell because their definition of a Christian is one who's been washed in the blood of Jesus. In their eyes, people like me just do extended time in purgatory:D

waitasec

Veteran Member
'orthodox' simply means the 'right way'

no one can claim to be 'orthodox' unless your methods are in harmony with the scriptures that set out the 'right way' to be a christian. So a claim of orthodoxy does not necessarily make one a christian.
emphasis by me:

correction...convoluted and ambiguous scripture.

good luck with that.

Shermana

Heretic
They don't believe Christians go to hell because their definition of a Christian is one who's been washed in the blood of Jesus. In their eyes, people like me just do extended time in purgatory:D

What do you think "outside the church there is no salvation" means?