• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Debate of God.

nnmartin

If you are smart, and can get away with crimes, and dont care about an afterlife because u dont think tehre will be one, whats stopping you? youve got nothing to lose and much to gain, if youre "smart"

that's a fair point.

If you do not believe in any sort of god and only have to worry about the police then what's to stop you committing a crime if you know you can get away with it?

some crimes may go against your conscience for sure but how about things like fraud and corruption? The material gain is just too tempting for some people.

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
I am simply going to use this thread as a means to discuss the existence of God with anyone. I am constantly discussing this with people, and feel I should have a main thread to post on.

If anyone wishes to argue that god (or whatever deity you believe in) is true, I have questions ready. Thank you.

Assalamualaikum.

Let it be understood that the evidence for the existence of God are not as strong as that of the existence of the sun on a sunny day. Rather the evidence for the existence of God are like the existence of the sun on a cloudy day. It is clear but not clear enough and there is murkiness involved. The evidence is theoretical. It can be supposed that God exists. But supposing God exists is not the same as proving conclusively He exists.

So the Promised Messiah, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian, founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community stated in the Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam, referring to [102:2-9], stated:

When a person perceives smoke from a distance his mind conceives that smoke and fire are inseparable, and therefore where there is smoke there must be fire also. This would be knowledge by the certainty of reason. Then on a nearer approach he sees the flames of the fire and that is knowledge by the certainty of sight. Should he enter into the fire, that would be knowledge by the certainty of experience.

So the existence of God is immediately available to us by certainty of reason. Based on that human beings need to make a substantial effort on their part to attain certainty of sight. And based on that human beings need to make a further substantial effort to attain certainty of experience.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Oh obviously because its not like anyone has told me ive got a fair point...o wait...

oops.
If you'd read any of Martin's other posts, you'd realize his frame of reference as to what is a good post, isn't necessarily all that 'good' ;)

In a religious forum any asinine idea will find supporters. 10% of the human population is clinically insane, just for reference.

St Giordano Bruno

Trolls.

/logout

I feel satisfied, it's so sad that atheists dont, and that they live a rather hopeless life, they should all be criminals and have no ethics because they think they will never face consequences after they die...

If hell exists....SUCK TO BE THEM!

Bye.

I cannot possibly believe that any memories of this life can be passed on into some hypothetical afterlife, including any memories of any crimes we have alleged to have committed. So why anyone would be punished for something they cannot possibly remember? That does not seem consistent to an all merciful god. It would be like a reincarnated version of Jack the Ripper who has absolutely no memories of his previous life being punished in his/her current life. If that person cannot remember being Jack the Ripper in a previous life it would make absolutely no sense to claim his was Jack the Ripper or others to assume he was.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
that's a fair point.

If you do not believe in any sort of god and only have to worry about the police then what's to stop you committing a crime if you know you can get away with it?

some crimes may go against your conscience for sure but how about things like fraud and corruption? The material gain is just too tempting for some people.
A more fair point is that a person who thinks they 'know' there is an afterlife waiting for them, and that their God forgives them all their sins, coupled with the idea that this world is corrupt and evil, well, THAT kind of person is far more likely to commit material crimes here in this life.

Religion in prison populations.... are Atheists more ethical than Christians? Muslims less?

80% of US prison inmates are Christians
0.2%, that's two-tenths of a per cent, are atheists

*and for honesty, .002% are pagan of various stripe

Last edited:

Tiberius

If you are smart, and can get away with crimes, and dont care about an afterlife because u dont think tehre will be one, whats stopping you? youve got nothing to lose and much to gain, if youre "smart"

The fact that I can put myself in the other person's shoes, for one.

The fact that, as an atheist, I think that this life is the only one we get, so we better make it as good as we can, for another.

Or are you actually trying to convince me that, as an atheist, I should be going out and committing crimes?

And why do you seem to think that God is the only one who can catch me?

Tiberius

that's a fair point.

And you think that all atheists fit into this category?

Geez, are you really incapable of seeing that people can be nice just for the sake of being nice?

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
And you think that all atheists fit into this category?

Geez, are you really incapable of seeing that people can be nice just for the sake of being nice?
What if you are asking that to a person who can only be nice if he thinks a God will destroy him if he isn't?

nnmartin

I'm not saying that all atheists fit into that kind of category but just pointing out that if we all genuinely believed in a Jesus type figure the World would be a better place.

some serious culling would have to be done first of course!

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Yes, cull a huge chunk of the population for Jesus!

You guys tried that several times and failed miserably.
Statistically this seems to make believers worse, not better.