• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty

kai

ragamuffin
My problem is this, that we clearly don't have a legal system that doesn't make mistakes, so as it does make mistakes and innocent people have been convicted of Murder, Then the ultimate penalty of death cannot surely be justified if the system that determines that guilt is flawed.

most of the argument for the death penalty seem to be saying---- so innocent people are at risk of being killed? ---- SO WHAT?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The death penalty does not deter criminals.
The death penalty is no more protective of public safety than life in prison.
The death penalty is more costly than life in prison.
The death penalty is irrevocable.

What is the benefit of the death penalty? Any objective cost-benefit analysis seems to weigh against it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

What is the benefit of the death benefit? Any objective cost-benefit analysis seems to weigh against it.

I think it's barbaric. It seems to satisfy some sort of ingrained blood lust. I don't think costs/ benefits or rationality come into it.
'Off with their heads and let God decide'. Headbanger stuff.

What is the benefit of the death benefit? Any objective cost-benefit analysis seems to weigh against it.

What is the benefit of the death benefit? Any objective cost-benefit analysis seems to weigh against it

Thankfully! I shudder to think what would happen if it were cheaper to execute someone.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
To be an accessory to the fact you have to contribute to the act that led to the childs death, having beaten the child or failing to act while someone else did in their presence prior to the actual event that lead to the childs death, would not be enough.

Over the course of 17 months those people tortured that baby,i won't go into details of what that torture entailed but needless to say it was barbaric and the cause of death was a direct consequence of it,the Baby was tortured so much that he just gave up living and that is murder.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
My problem is this, that we clearly don't have a legal system that doesn't make mistakes, so as it does make mistakes and innocent people have been convicted of Murder, Then the ultimate penalty of death cannot surely be justified if the system that determines that guilt is flawed.

most of the argument for the death penalty seem to be saying---- so innocent people are at risk of being killed? ---- SO WHAT?

I agree that our legal system makes mistakes but there are cases where there is no doubt and the Baby P case is a good example.
The procedure and process of Law needs a review from the Police to the Law Lords (not sure how it works in the USA) because at the moment its an insult to every victim of every crime.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think it's barbaric. It seems to satisfy some sort of ingrained blood lust. I don't think costs/ benefits or rationality come into it.
'Off with their heads and let God decide'. Headbanger stuff.

I prefer to call it Justice because thats what it is,the classic symbol for Justice is a set of scales,how would the scales look if you weighed the murder of some innocent person to the murderer getting parole and a new life,i think the scales would show they are in the murderers favour.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
nobody is suggesting we behave like Iran.

Yes you are. The death penalty in America is the same as in Iran, Saudi, China and North Korea. The 5 countries that use it the most.

Stephen,how about i post some nice grissly pictures of a child rape and murder victim,it would make your pictures look like Walt Disney
I agree such crimes are disgusting. No argument there. But I am not suggesting anyone promote them.
I think the taking of life is disgusting. Proponents of the death penalty on the other hand are arguing for the calculated taking of life.
The pictures I posted reflect what death penalty proponents are arguing for. This is the result they seek. Dead people.
There is no point in your posting pictures of rape and murder victims because no-one is arguing that these crimes are anything other than disgusting.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Yes you are. The death penalty in America is the same as in Iran, Saudi, China and North Korea. The 5 countries that use it the most.

I agree such crimes are disgusting. No argument there. But I am not suggesting anyone promote them.
I think the taking of life is disgusting. Proponents of the death penalty on the other hand are arguing for the calculated taking of life.
The pictures I posted reflect what death penalty proponents are arguing for. This is the result they seek. Dead people.
There is no point in your posting pictures of rape and murder victims because no-one is arguing that these crimes are anything other than disgusting.
So why did you not post pics of how the USA carries out capital punishment?

I suspect that you were looking for an emotional reaction.
THAT is why you chose the pics you chose.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
So why did you not post pics of how the USA carries out capital punishment?

I suspect that you were looking for an emotional reaction.
THAT is why you chose the pics you chose.
I actually chose them because they were the least offensive ones I could find. I didn't want to get a warning from the mods.
The American photos involved electric chairs and a lot of blood.

kai

ragamuffin
Just because people are against the death penalty doesnt make them for crime in some way.

we have to keep this about the death penalty for or against.

my reasons are clear the system any system is faulty and innocent people could be killed and i just feel very uneasy about the state killing people.

McBell

I actually chose them because they were the least offensive ones I could find. I didn't want to get a warning from the mods.
The American photos involved electric chairs and a lot of blood.
yeah right.
This pic is just SOOOOO offensive:
viewthread.php

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

No i am not suggesting we hang people from cranes by the roadside ad hoc which is what your pictures say

The death penalty is a consequence of the act of murder,it isn't the Law that calculates the death of someone it is the murderer so to even the scales of Justice they should die too.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
lolo.
And yours are less offensive how?

Oh yeah, they were for emotional reaction value...

I have an emotional reaction to the taking of life. That is why I abhor it.
Proponents of the death penalty clearly do not place the same value on life as I feel life deserves. If they did they could not countenance the taking of it.

I cannot change the world. My views will have no more impact on US imposition of the death penalty than they will on China.
For those in the US who cheer capital punishment - your country is as you want it.
I think it is a terrible state of affairs but there is nothing I can do except voice my opposition.

McBell

I have an emotional reaction to the taking of life. That is why I abhor it.
Proponents of the death penalty clearly do not place the same value on life as I feel life deserves. If they did they could not countenance the taking of it.

I cannot change the world. My views will have no more impact on US imposition of the death penalty than they will on China.
For those in the US who cheer capital punishment - your country is as you want it.
I think it is a terrible state of affairs but there is nothing I can do except voice my opposition.
It is interesting to see how so many people against the death penalty when the Bible has no problem with it.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
It is interesting to see how so many people against the death penalty when the Bible has no problem with it.
Just as a brief aside (I don't want to derail the thread)
Why (or do you?) think what the Bible seems or seems not have a problem with is relevant to me as someone who is against the death penalty?

MSizer

MSizer
Even if you wiped their memory of the event, or drugged them up to no longer feel pain, it still wouldn't excuse the actions of the murderer, nor should it allow him a second chance.

Let's tihnk of the victims here, let's rehabilitate them, get them back up, give them a 2nd chance to try and live life normally again, why can't they have the support?

Why should we be supporting the man who killed their child instead?

God, and I thought Nepenthe needed a slap........

Can we leave out the personal attacks please? I don't know about others here, but I don't think it's too cool to talk about slapping each other. And as for your comment about "cherishing the lives of murderers" "YES"! Of EVERYBODY! And you're a barbarian if you don't understand how that would ultimately be the better position.