• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The DaVinci Code

Scott1

linwood,

Your opposition to the Gnostics is based in your current beliefs and echo some of the same reasoning the Orthodoxy used to proclaim them heretics.
Uhhhhh, yep... should my opposition be based on style? that the word Gnostic hurts my mouth? :confused:
The truth of the matter is that many of the very first people to call themselves followers of Christ believed in these gospels.
Truth? Not quite..... do you have a timeline to back that up?
Yes both were equally evil..EQUALLY...not like the Christian ideology today where woman bears the greater burden of original sin.
The overall point is that men were not seen as superior to women as in todays Christian dogma...they were equals.
WHAT? Equally evil is ok with you? Kinda like "jumbo shrimp":D

I still can't see what point you are trying to make....
The leadership roles for women are inequitable, a woman can never bring herself to any position of power even close to that a man can.
You can`t even argue this point until there is a woman cardinal giving Mass.
Yes, they are "inequitable" and ALWAYS will be. What moral code do you live by that tells you this is somehow "wrong" .... and why should that apply to me or my Church?
"Knowledge will bring enlightenment!!" was another cry of the Gnostics.
The whole theology was based on a heirarchy of enlightenment, the more "truth" they became aware of the more spiritually powerful you became.
What kind of knowledge? FAITH? I am suprised that these deists are such darlings to you......... are they not foolish enough to believe in God?
Perhaps I am a bit biased towards these disowned Christians much of their dogma mirrors my own beliefs.
Kinda like having to "filter it through Catholic canon" .............. :D

Peace,
Scott

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
okay ppl. the da vinci code is under FICTION. do we know what fiction means? yes we do.

there are only a few things true, like the priory and opus dei. theres still the theory of mary magdalene and jesus.

as for gnostic gospels, thats wrong. and the book says that the four gospels only talk about the divinity of jesus, but it talks about both. john focuses mostly on the divinity, while mark and luke are on the humanity too.

linwood

okay ppl. the da vinci code is under FICTION. do we know what fiction means? yes we do.

The Davinci Code is fiction.
So are the Gnostic gospels as far as I`m concerned.
But if we`re no longer to debate fiction then from my position I can no longer debate the Bible either.

as for gnostic gospels, thats wrong.

How are these documents "wrong"?

Uhhhhh, yep... should my opposition be based on style? that the word Gnostic hurts my mouth?

Baptist, Mormons, Lutherans, and many many other sects of Christianity don`t
pay heed to many or any Catholic canons either.
Do you oppose their beliefs?
Do you hold them invalid as well?

What about Islam, Judaism, Budhism, they pay no heed at all to Catholic canon do you oppose their beliefs?

This is one reason why I cannot base my moral outlook on any religion.
It usually requires unexamined intolerance.

This is purely conjecture on my part but judging from the vibe I`m getting from your last post I believe your opposition to these Christians lies more in the percieved threat they held for your church than any actual knowledge you have of their texts.

That is why they were rejected and destroyed by the Church.

Truth? Not quite..... do you have a timeline to back that up?

I`ll find what I can of a timeline for you however I would have to use mostly written communication between and about the two sects (Orthadox and Gnostic) considering we can never know what exactly of the text themselves was destroyed by the church.

I believe I can date these texts and other written works by Gnostics to well before Constantines organization of the Church.

WHAT? Equally evil is ok with you? Kinda like "jumbo shrimp"

Equality of something has nothing to do with what someone considers a moral standard.
The fact remains that women could do anything any man could among the Gnostics.
That is equality.

While I`m thinking of it could you please point me to some type of Gnostic gospel or documentation that leads you to this claim of Gnostic Evil?

You`ll understand if I prefer it came from something the Gnostics said or wrote themselves and not the Vatican library.
:)

Because I think you`re stretching the meaning of this belief.
It`s my understanding that they believed all matter was created by a lesser God..their Satan in a way.
Everything good and spiritual was created by the one true God and it was their responsibilty to attain enlightenment and in this way become a more spiritual being and closer to the "good".

In other words they were to rebuke the evils of the flesh.
Sound vaguely familiar?

Yes, they are "inequitable" and ALWAYS will be. What moral code do you live by that tells you this is somehow "wrong"

The moral code I hope most people live by.
The same ideal that sparked the changes that allow women to vote, go to school, have a career, and hold public office.
The moral code that says they are my equal and I will treat them as an equal by stating that that are as capable as I at anything either of us endeavor.
Then showing them that I really believe it by getting the hell out of their way and letting them do it.

and why should that apply to me or my Church?

It doesn`t apply to your church I`m sorry if I implied it did.
I didn`t mean to.

What kind of knowledge? FAITH? I am suprised that these deists are such darlings to you......... are they not foolish enough to believe in God?

My darlings huh?
They did seem to have a much kinder and tolerant brand of Christianity than I`m used to seeing.

To someone the Christian faith has always scorned and belittled merely for disbelieving their unprovable god they can make you feel a little better about where Christianity came from.

Scott1

linwood,

First, let me say that I love your style! Very good thread..... this is fun!
Baptist, Mormons, Lutherans, and many many other sects of Christianity don`t
pay heed to many or any Catholic canons either.
Do you oppose their beliefs?
Do you hold them invalid as well?
All things good and true in ANY faith I respect...... that being said, I believe the Catholic Church holds the fullness of truth ( or else I wouldn't be Catholic, right?).
In other words they were to rebuke the evils of the flesh.
Sound vaguely familiar?
This is why I like ya linwood....... very good point. Will have to give that some serious thought.
The moral code I hope most people live by.
Where does this moral code come from? Genetics? Clue me in to why I, or anyone, should follow this moral direction?
To someone the Christian faith has always scorned and belittled merely for disbelieving their unprovable god they can make you feel a little better about where Christianity came from.
Well, no scorn here........ hope you see how much I respect your views and enjoy posting with you. I am sorry that Christians made you feel so badly....... I believe sin controls at least 50% of so-called Christians..... I hope you eventually see some good in my faith.

Peace,
Scott

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
SOGFPP said:
linwood,
First, let me say that I love your style! Very good thread..... this is fun!

Hehee, gotta love Scott for being able to recognize debate as fun! (Well, anyone else who does, too. But he puts it wonderfully!)

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"ow are these documents "wrong"?"

they arent, what was said about them in da vinci code was not entriely true. but the theories still remain. all dan brown is make the theories seem like they were true.

linwood

Where does this moral code come from? Genetics? Clue me in to why I, or anyone, should follow this moral direction?

Thats a tough question to answer and I`ve been thinking about it at work all day since I read it.

I think morals are essentially based on the culture and environment you are raised in at the start.

As you grow and gain experience of the world and people around you you gain the insight to add to or reject or fine tune these base morals you had instilled as a child.

This is why we have so many disagreements on what is exactly moral and what isn`t.
Because morals are essentially a personal choice.

We have taken the most common moral values and grouped them together and called them our morals or Christian morals or national ethics or whatever but most people who think for themselves usually will decide on an individual set of morals to guide them through their lives.

I know there is alot of talk about morals being genetic but I don`t believe this any more than I believe there is a gay gene or a god gene or any combination of genetic effects to create these things.

I think it`s environmental and personal experience.

I`ve been way off topic here for about my last 4 posts .

If you want to discuss this further I`m sure there`s a thread somewhere on this specific topic somewhere already.

Just point me to it.

Thanks