• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Dark Energy" - Can it be God.

John D

Spiritsurfer
So what is dark energy? Well, the simple answer is that we don't know. It seems to contradict many of our understandings about the way the universe works.

HubbleSite - Dark Energy - What Is Dark Energy?>

".. Dark energy appears to be the dominant component of the physical Universe, yet there is no persuasive theoretical explanation for its existence or magnitude. The acceleration of the Universe is, along with dark matter, the observed phenomenon that most directly demonstrates that our theories of fundamental particles and gravity are either incorrect or incomplete. Most experts believe that nothing short of a revolution in our understanding of fundamental physics will be required to achieve a full understanding of the cosmic acceleration. For these reasons, the nature of dark energy ranks among the very most compelling of all
outstanding problems in physical science. These circumstances demand an ambitious observational program to determine the dark energy properties as well as possible."

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0609/0609591.pdf

Stranger and Stranger
clip_image001.jpg

Most of the universe seems to consist of nothing we can see. Dark energy and dark matter, detectable only because of their effect on the visible matter around them, make up most of the universe.
We do know this: Since space is everywhere, this dark energy force is everywhere, and its effects increase as space expands. In contrast, gravity's force is stronger when things are close together and weaker when they are far apart. Because gravity is weakening with the expansion of space, dark energy now makes up over 2/3 of all the energy in the universe.
It sounds rather strange that we have no firm idea about what makes up 74% of the universe. It's as though we had explored all the land on the planet Earth and never in all our travels encountered an ocean. But now that we've caught sight of the waves, we want to know what this huge, strange, powerful entity really is.
The strangeness of dark energy is thrilling.
It shows scientists that there is a gap in our knowledge that needs to be filled, beckoning the way toward an unexplored realm of physics. We have before us the evidence that the cosmos may be configured vastly differently than we imagine. Dark energy both signals that we still have a great deal to learn, and shows us that we stand poised for another great leap in our understanding of the universe.

HubbleSite - Dark Energy - What Is Dark Energy?

.....Now is it so difficult say: "It is the energy of the Hand of God":angel2:

Gabethewiking

So what is dark energy? Well, the simple answer is that we don't know. It seems to contradict many of our understandings about the way the universe works.

HubbleSite - Dark Energy - What Is Dark Energy?>

".. Dark energy appears to be the dominant component of the physical Universe, yet there is no persuasive theoretical explanation for its existence or magnitude. The acceleration of the Universe is, along with dark matter, the observed phenomenon that most directly demonstrates that our theories of fundamental particles and gravity are either incorrect or incomplete. Most experts believe that nothing short of a revolution in our understanding of fundamental physics will be required to achieve a full understanding of the cosmic acceleration. For these reasons, the nature of dark energy ranks among the very most compelling of all
outstanding problems in physical science. These circumstances demand an ambitious observational program to determine the dark energy properties as well as possible."

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0609/0609591.pdf

Stranger and Stranger
clip_image001.jpg

Most of the universe seems to consist of nothing we can see. Dark energy and dark matter, detectable only because of their effect on the visible matter around them, make up most of the universe.
We do know this: Since space is everywhere, this dark energy force is everywhere, and its effects increase as space expands. In contrast, gravity's force is stronger when things are close together and weaker when they are far apart. Because gravity is weakening with the expansion of space, dark energy now makes up over 2/3 of all the energy in the universe.
It sounds rather strange that we have no firm idea about what makes up 74% of the universe. It's as though we had explored all the land on the planet Earth and never in all our travels encountered an ocean. But now that we've caught sight of the waves, we want to know what this huge, strange, powerful entity really is.
The strangeness of dark energy is thrilling.
It shows scientists that there is a gap in our knowledge that needs to be filled, beckoning the way toward an unexplored realm of physics. We have before us the evidence that the cosmos may be configured vastly differently than we imagine. Dark energy both signals that we still have a great deal to learn, and shows us that we stand poised for another great leap in our understanding of the universe.

HubbleSite - Dark Energy - What Is Dark Energy?

.....Now is it so difficult say: "It is the energy of the Hand of God":angel2:

Just wondering, when Science provides you with evidenc like Evolution, History of the World, and so on, it is a lie, not good or some other variation.

But when Science produce Vaccinations and Unlimited Food and find and learn about "Dark Matter", it is great terrific and True....

Some biased here it seems.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
There is a tendency among some to attribute anything that we don’t understand to “God”. I think this tendency is foolish on multiple levels.

Or we could call God: "Big D," like in Legend. Or "Dark Lord." Haha.
I'm kind of liking this theory.

But serious now: it is interesting with mountains of what we claim to know, we still must accept that we don't know much.

Edit: It also raises the question in my mind: What happens to matter in the Universe if it continues to expand? Will the Laws of Physics alter at all? Or will all of this Dark Energy remain as it is and continue filling in the empty spaces?

Last edited:
Seems to always be the same story, whatever it is that man cannot explain he attributes it to god. The stars, the sun, the sky, the earth, existence, death, as we discover and understand more about the universe the more we realize how and what it is. While no one knows what dark matter is currently, it seems a little premature and illogical to assume God to be the culprit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It might be, it might not be. Who are we to know for sure. Maybe Dark Energy, Higgs Boson particle, and math are the holy trinity?

ragordon168

I don't know if it is God or not, but I do know God is sustaining the earth until the end of time.

unfortunately thats impossible, in 5 billion years (i think) the sun runs out of fuel and starts expanding, eventually the earth will fall into the sun, vaporised. but not before the oceans boil, the sky burns and all life dies.

or are you going with the 1984 argument - that time began with man/earth, nothing existed before us and after we're gone time and everything else will end?

Troublemane

Theres also a tendency among supposedly rational scientists to believe that their limited knowledge of galaxies 100k+ light years away is enough for them to say, "hmmm, our models predict these galaxies ought to be moving alot more slowly than they are...", and rather than question either their models or their lack of knowledge, they make an amazing leap of faith and claim "dark matter" or "dark energy"!!!!--an oddly magical force which cannot be detected, like the aethyr, which is responsible for the unexpected measurements. Yeah. Right.

Dark energy maybe the modern equivalent of the Ptolemaic Epicycles, or "phlogiston", but not God. :trampo:

KatNotKathy

A miscalculation regarding the strength of gravity relating to mass could apparently eliminate the need for dark matter's existence.

Or so I've read. Physics ain't really my thing.

Troublemane

I tend to think there might also be a slight curvature to the universe at the extreme large scale. If so, there would be appreciable red shifting the further out you look, without regard for intervening stellar media like dust particles, etc. If Spacetime is "closed", like a giant 4-sphere, then the further out you look the more curved it becomes. this would make the galaxies futher out appear to be accelerating away from us exponentially the further out you look.

This is just an example of something simple to explain the observations, without resorting to some weird exotic matter that cannot be detected, and has no place in any theory (like string theory, etc.) There are a few others I can think of (plasma physics, for example), but spacetime curvature is probably the simplest. :angel2:

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
...I do know God is sustaining the earth until the end of time.

By know, I assume you mean you are aware of the truth or factuality of this, and are convinced of the certainty of this.

See... that's where rational people differ from blind believers... they would not take an unknowable belief they have and label it as something they know.

But congrats on not blindly claiming dark energy as proof of God.

(suppose that could be the next post)

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
unfortunately thats impossible, in 5 billion years (i think) the sun runs out of fuel and starts expanding, eventually the earth will fall into the sun, vaporised. but not before the oceans boil, the sky burns and all life dies.
Have you heard any of theories to save the planet from this?

John D

Spiritsurfer
"God, the Almighty Darkness!"
It does have a ring to it

You are so right !!!
He cannot be known or defined. You have to enter that frightful darkness to get any info on God.
..........He made darkness his secret place - Herder has beautifully
rendered this verse,......... (Commentary on Ps 18:1 By A Barnes)
"Now he wrapped himself in darkness;
Clouds on clouds enclosed him round."
Psa 18:11 He made darkness His secret hiding place; as His pavilion (His canopy) round about Him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.

John D

Spiritsurfer
Or we could call God: "Big D," like in Legend. Or "Dark Lord." Haha.
I'm kind of liking this theory.

But serious now: it is interesting with mountains of what we claim to know, we still must accept that we don't know much.

Edit: It also raises the question in my mind: What happens to matter in the Universe if it continues to expand? Will the Laws of Physics alter at all? Or will all of this Dark Energy remain as it is and continue filling in the empty spaces?

The theory is that there could be three possible outcomes:( think you will find on google)
  1. The "Big Crunch" - But after this descovery not very likely.
  2. The "Big Chill" - Everything will just stop to move.
  3. The "Big Rift" - Basically the universe could be teared in pieces or something.
The scary part is that there are mentions of strange happenings in the Bible - Stars being rolled up and stuff like that. ( I'll try to find the verses, for myself, no evolutionist would care anyway :sad4:)

John D

Spiritsurfer
I tend to think there might also be a slight curvature to the universe at the extreme large scale. If so, there would be appreciable red shifting the further out you look, without regard for intervening stellar media like dust particles, etc. If Spacetime is "closed", like a giant 4-sphere, then the further out you look the more curved it becomes. this would make the galaxies futher out appear to be accelerating away from us exponentially the further out you look.

This is just an example of something simple to explain the observations, without resorting to some weird exotic matter that cannot be detected, and has no place in any theory (like string theory, etc.) There are a few others I can think of (plasma physics, for example), but spacetime curvature is probably the simplest. :angel2:

Man !!! You should realy sent your observations to NASA and these other poor struggling Scientists, they really need your input now!!!!
They probberly never even considered this