• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The curse of "converts"

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Day after day, I'm watching youtube videos of ISKCON devotees, participating in massive events, such as ones organized by HH Indradyumna Swami. Their dedication bewilders me. In one video, Indradyumna Swami initiates one young female devotee into disciplehood in Iskcon and he asks her how many rounds of mahamantra she recited. Her reply and her commitment astonishes me. I think converts as such as these lovely devotees are termed, they are doing too fabulous a job for it! Never seen so many masses with such enthusiasm in natives.
Eastern Europe seems to be really big for ISKCON right now. It's logical ,,, quite similar in a few ways to Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, etc.

Shantanu

Eastern Europe seems to be really big for ISKCON right now. It's logical ,,, quite similar in a few ways to Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, etc.
It would appear that the essence of Bhagavad-Gita resonates with what spiritual people experience in their daily lives and it is so peaceful and celebratory of God, the Creator and Preserver. So I am not surprised at the spread of ISKCON.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It would appear that the essence of Bhagavad-Gita resonates with what spiritual people experience in their daily lives and it is so peaceful and celebratory of God, the Creator and Preserver. So I am not surprised at the spread of ISKCON.
Personally, I was surprised, but given many there might not be able to read English, I can see how they wouldn't have read about all the earlier troubles. Hopefully, this time, wisdom from previous mistakes will prevail. Here in the west, the immigration factor has greatly reduced many of the problems, like the overt proselytizing.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, the Eastern Orthodox Church has a deeper and older mystical philosophy than western churches.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, the Eastern Orthodox Church has a deeper and older mystical philosophy than western churches.
It's just the style that I noticed. I live in an area of this country where there were a lot of rural Ukrainian settlements with the 'Onion' churches, as my kids used to call them. I've been inside a few, and they feel similar to ISKCON. That's what I'm going on. Course I could be really wrong.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's just the style that I noticed. I live in an area of this country where there were a lot of rural Ukrainian settlements with the 'Onion' churches, as my kids used to call them. I've been inside a few, and they feel similar to ISKCON. That's what I'm going on. Course I could be really wrong.

No, you’re right. I was Eastern Orthodox for about 10 years and see it. The theology is different, of course, but the eastern churches are much more devotional than the western. And of course everything is chanted and sung and highly ritualized and symbolic. That is, the icons are created according to strict rules and are a conduit to the spiritual world.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, you’re right. I was Eastern Orthodox for about 10 years and see it. The theology is different, of course, but the eastern churches are much more devotional than the western. And of course everything is chanted and sung and highly ritualized and symbolic. That is, the icons are created according to strict rules and are a conduit to the spiritual world.

One I went to even had the 'priest's only' section at the front. Still, they had pews, but also standing room. These were pioneer churches, mind you.

I'm curious as to how it will go, or continue. We have a couple of Russians in my sampradaya. ISKCON has also been a stepping stone for some. It's also a bit of a way to emigrate to the west. I've met Eastern European ISKCONites in Vancouver. The Russian government, as you know, tried to ban distribution of the BG, but that was unsuccessful. Hard to tell from way over here if they have the radical hard-sell proselytizing they used to here.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
One I went to even had the 'priest's only' section at the front. Still, they had pews, but also standing room. These were pioneer churches, mind you.

I'm curious as to how it will go, or continue. We have a couple of Russians in my sampradaya. ISKCON has also been a stepping stone for some. It's also a bit of a way to emigrate to the west. I've met Eastern European ISKCONites in Vancouver. The Russian government, as you know, tried to ban distribution of the BG, but that was unsuccessful. Hard to tell from way over here if they have the radical hard-sell proselytizing they used to here.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a growing blending and blurring of practices and theology. I don't think it's a horrible idea if :

1. It works for some people, i.e. they can make it work; and
2. They don't call it Hinduism or Christianity, because it's neither.

After all, lots of religions are syncretisms, especially Afro-Caribbean w/ Catholicism. But they're neither traditional Catholicism of African or indigenous Caribbean.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
:) Context is Jai's post above wherein he mentioned "blending and blurring of practices and theology".

As a movement within ISKCON and some sects of Christianity only. Playing out a thought experiment, if a fusion or syncretism came about it would be a different religion. But I'm not encouraging it or advocating it, just making an observation that it could happen. If it stays contained as such I don't think it would be much different that the Afro-Caribbean religions I mentioned.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
:) Context is Jai's post above wherein he mentioned "blending and blurring of practices and theology".

I don't know how much ISKCON in eastern Europe does that. As with many things, I'm too far away geographically and spiritually to have any depth of observation. So who knows? Better to not jump to conclusions at all that to error in hypothetical analysis.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Are there any generally recognised requirements to become a Hindu?

Not really, but neither is it an open book. Obviously one should have most beliefs in line with some 'branch' or sect from within Hinduism. Anyone can say 'I'm a Hindu' but id that doesn't match with some actions, or beliefs pertaining to Hinduism, nobody's gong to believe it.