1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The cults

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Riders, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    Right a threat of going to hell is what some churches do now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ManSinha

ManSinha Active Member

Ratings:
    +501
    Religion:
    Sikh
    But I was told that heaven and hell do not exist in the Bible?

3. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +656
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    Huh? The cult of atheism cited is bigger than RF, I mentioned Hitler and others who never used the Internet.

4. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    The word "cult" in the sociological sense may be a badly chosen one (the word is still needed in its original sense in other scholarly contexts) but it has a clear meaning. It doesn't mean a belief you consider weird, but a (pseudo-)religious organisation which attempts to control the minds and lives of its members. Christian churches may tell their members what to think, but (most) of them do not prevent them from mixing socially with non-members, for example. Here's a good checklist for identifying cults:
    The Advanced Bonewits' Cult Danger Evaluation Frame

5. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,772
    Religion:
    Druidry

The "cult of atheism" (if it can be said to exist) doesn't even include RF, though. I don't understand why you would include this forum on such a list to begin with. RF isn't an atheist forum. The fact that I'm here, you're here, and a bunch of other theists are here should make that obvious. I mean, I guess if you believe something like "anyone who doesn't agree with my unique theism is an atheist" everything would be part of your "cult of atheism," but other than that? I'm not seeing it. As an admin, comments like that concern me because if there's something I need to be made aware of, please let me know (via PM is probably best).

6. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +656
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    I'm still not tracking with you--not trying to be dense here, by the way. I'm a human and may have misused the word "cult" here, though.