• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Creationistic Method and Why It Is Fraudulent

gnostic

The Lost One
Scientists leave out God when they formulate any hypothesis? Maybe that's why they're having so much trouble figuring out this String Theory stuff? When doing their math and they hit an infinity they don't know that the infinity is God.
General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Physics (QP) worked fine, on their own.

The only reasons why theoretical physicists are working to develop String Theory or Superstring Theory is to unify GR & QP into 1 theory that supposedly will explain “all”.

Personally, I don’t think we need such a theory that explain “everything”.

For instance, does a dentist need to study neuroscience to treat person with dental problem? Does a neuro-surgeon require to learn how to treat dental patients?

I would say “no” to both questions.

Sure, it would be great to be able to unify two different physics theories if they do manage to succeed, but the still theoretical and hypothetical String Theory is really not needed.

Super Universe

Defender of God

The only reasons why theoretical physicists are working to develop String Theory or Superstring Theory is to unify GR & QP into 1 theory that supposedly will explain “all”.

For instance, does a dentist need to study neuroscience to treat person with dental problem? Does a neuro-surgeon require to learn how to treat dental patients?

Sure, it would be great to be able to unify two different physics theories if they do manage to succeed, but the still theoretical and hypothetical String Theory is really not needed.

GR and QP work fine on their own? They work fine in their areas but they don't completely explain the universe. There are many things we don't entirely understand, black holes, dark matter, dark energy, String Theory, and gravity. It's not just about having the ability to launch a probe to Mars, it's about explaining more than that.

Do we need to understand everything? Depends on how you define the word need. We only need air, food, water, and shelter, so everything after that is luxury.

If they keep working on String Theory, are you afraid of what they might find?

gnostic

The Lost One
GR and QP work fine on their own? They work fine in their areas but they don't completely explain the universe.
So what they don’t explain everything.

Does the bible explain everything?

The bible cannot explain anything about nature.

It doesn’t explain what the sun, nor do it ever explain how it work, how heat and electromagnetic radiation emit from the sun, nor the source of it. The bible doesn’t even recognise that the sun is actually a star.

Last edited:

Super Universe

Defender of God
So what don’t explain everything.

Does the bible explain everything?

The bible cannot explain anything about nature.

It doesn’t explain what the sun, nor do it ever explain how it work, how heat and electromagnetic radiation emit from the sun, nor the source of it. The bible doesn’t even recognise that the sun is actually a star.

If you don't want the physicists to explain everything then don't pay any attention to it. It's not about you getting your way with what others learn and discover.

Does the bible explain everything? No. I'm not sure who told you that it did.

This thing called life is about learning and experiencing new things. You can hide in your room and play video games if you want but some of us want to know more than that.

gnostic

The Lost One
GR and QP work fine on their own? They work fine in their areas but they don't completely explain the universe. There are many things we don't entirely understand, black holes, dark matter, dark energy, String Theory, and gravity. It's not just about having the ability to launch a probe to Mars, it's about explaining more than that.

Do we need to understand everything? Depends on how you define the word need. We only need air, food, water, and shelter, so everything after that is luxury.

If they keep working on String Theory, are you afraid of what they might find?

As to your last question.

No, I am not afraid. I don’t fear of String Theory been a scientific theory...which it is not....yet. It is still theoretical and so far, untestable. String Theory is still a hypothesis.

If they do finally manage to verify it, that’s great, but it would not be the end of physics if they don’t succeed. So I would be happy either ways.

But at this stage, I don’t think it will succeed, because there are too many versions of String Theory, and they have become increasingly more complex, thereby making it unworkable.

The question is, will physicists find better alternative than the current String Theory or Superstring Theory that’s actually testable?

Who knows.

I do find String Theory to be fascinating to read, but it is still a hypothesis, not scientific theory, therefore it is currently not factual.

Quantum physics and General Relativity are still very valid, and they are still discovering something new, using these two separate theories, and with quantum field theory, it have made new discoveries in particle physics, which make String Theory still a dud.

Super Universe

Defender of God
As to your last question.

No, I am not afraid. I don’t fear of String Theory been a scientific theory...which it is not....yet. It is still theoretical and so far, untestable. String Theory is still a hypothesis.

If they do finally manage to verify it, that’s great, but it would not be the end of physics if they don’t succeed. So I would be happy either ways.

But at this stage, I don’t think it will succeed, because there are too many versions of String Theory, and they have become increasingly more complex, thereby making it unworkable.

The question is, will physicists find better alternative than the current String Theory or Superstring Theory that’s actually testable?

Who knows.

I do find String Theory to be fascinating to read, but it is still a hypothesis, not scientific theory, therefore it is currently not factual.

Quantum physics and General Relativity are still very valid, and they are still discovering something new, using these two separate theories, and with quantum field theory, it have made new discoveries in particle physics, which make String Theory still a dud.

What if they figure String Theory out and it confirms an infinite source of energy that produces the universe like a movie projector that projects a movie?

gnostic

The Lost One
If you don't want the physicists to explain everything then don't pay any attention to it. It's not about you getting your way with what others learn and discover.
Now you are being a fool, spitting out straw man.

I never said anything about physicists shouldn’t try to work out String Theory.

String Theory simply hasn’t work yet.

I am former civil engineer, not a scientist, and like my physics to be usef, as having real-world applications. So I only follow physics that have evidences, not just proofs.

String Theory have plenty of proofs, but no real evidences.

And evidence and proof are not the same things.

Proof is either logical or mathematical model or representation, like equations and formulas. Equations are proofs, not evidences.

Take for instance, the Big Bang theory. It started out as 3 separate hypotheses, formulated by 3 different and independent physicists during the 1920s:
  1. Alexander Friedmann, in 1922,
  2. Howard Percy Robertson, in 1925-26,
  3. and Georges Lemaître, in 1927.
All 3 were pioneers of the expanding universe model (before it was called the Big Bang theory in the late 1940s), and each one came with proofs of this model, but not evidences to go with it.

It was Robertson who predicted the Redshift as a mean to observe the galaxies moving away from each other, as the sign of the universe is expanding.

That redshift was discovered by Edwin Hubble in 1929, which became the first piece of evidence that the expanding universe model is true.

The next piece of evidence didn’t appear until the discovery of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR) in 1964, by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson. The discovery was accidental, when they working with radio telescope at Bell Lab.

CMBR became the 2nd evidence for the Big Bang model, which changed the field of cosmology.

But CMBR was predicted back in 1948, by Ralph Alpher and Robert Herman. Alpher also worked with his former professor and mentor George Gamow to develop the hypotheses of the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis (BBN) and of the Hot Big Bang model.

BBN gave us insight to how stable and electrical-neutral atoms were formed from subatomic particles, before there were ever stars.

The Hot Big Bang model, is the current theory that went beyond Lemaître’s original hypothesis. It predicted that the earliest stage of the young universe was hotter and denser.

As the universe expand exponentially, it cool the universe so that energy can turn into subatomic particles (eg quarks, leptons, photons, Higgs boson, etc), and the these particles became the building blocks of atomic particles (eg protons and neutrons) and atomic nuclei, as the universe cooled further. Eventually hydrogen and helium atoms formed.

So the Big Bang model started out as proof-driven hypothesis, but only became scientific theory when evidences were discovered.

So until String Theory have empirical evidences, it is merely explanations with complex mathematical equations - which in essence, is a theoretical “hypothesis”.

gnostic

The Lost One
What if they figure String Theory out and it confirms an infinite source of energy that produces the universe like a movie projector that projects a movie?
Until they can confirm it with evidences, it is only proof-driven (or mathematical) hypothesis.

String Theory can only become “scientific theory” if it has been rigorously tested or it have number of verifiable empirical evidences.

At the moment, you are only playing game of “what-if”. Science is more than what-if.

gnostic

The Lost One
This thing called life is about learning and experiencing new things. You can hide in your room and play video games if you want but some of us want to know more than that.
I have been learning more, SU.

But you also need to be patient, because String Theory is not yet really a scientific theory, because it relied more on proofs than evidences.

Science required evidences to be true, not more complex mathematical equations.

gnostic

The Lost One
I forgot to add in my long reply that General Relativity and Quantum Physics started out as theoretical and hypothetical explanations/models, but once evidences began piling up, they became officially scientific theories.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, the issue is that we *know* that both QM and GR are relevant to the study of things we want to understand better: the early universe, the event horizon of black holes, whenever energy levels get high enough in a small area so that both quantum and GR effects are relevant.

We know that GR is not a fundamental theory: we need a quantum theory of gravity. The *only* reason string theory is taken seriously is that it has been proven to be essentially the only way to merge GR and QM consistently based on things like Lorentz invariance. Loop Quantum Gravity ditches such invariance, fro example.

So, I basically agree that string theory doesn't live up to its hype. I think we may need to fall back a bit and work on supersymmetry and leave quantum gravity until we can produce mini black holes in the lab. But there are decent reasons for studying it as a possibility.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I forgot to add in my long reply that General Relativity and Quantum Physics started out as theoretical and hypothetical explanations/models, but once evidences began piling up, they became officially scientific theories.

That is more true for GR than for QM. Quantum theory started because of the need to explain phenomena that had been observed: heat capacities of gases, the photoelectric effects, atomic spectra. It started out much more as 'rules of thumb' to explain what was actually seen in the lab and only over time came to encompass as much as it does now. We are talking going from Planck proposing quanta of light in 1900 to the electro-weak theory of the 1970's to the standard model now.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What if my aunt had balls?
Would that make her myh uncle?

Yeppers, the "what if" game is loads of fun.

Super Universe

Defender of God
So is that a "Yes"?

Sad you are unable to give a direct straight forward answer.

Is that a "Yes", meaning, did Jesus change His message because the Jews weren't buying it? Maybe you should read the New Testament and find out for yourself?

It's sad that I am unable to give a direct straight forwad answer? As if you deserve to know the answers.

Super Universe

Defender of God
What if my aunt had balls?
Would that make her myh uncle?

Yeppers, the "what if" game is loads of fun.

What if your aunt had balls, would that make her your uncle? Your family must be really strange. Things are making sense.

The "what if" game is loads of fun? For primitives who play with their spit.