• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cost of Love

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
jar-candy-hearts.jpg

Love, trying to figure out what love is exactly.
I've decided love = sacrifice, at least that is how you end up showing your love.
You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

Why? So we can feel loved in return I suppose.
Is it worth it? IDK, seems like a gamble.
Sometimes it works out. Often it doesn't. At least not in the way we imagined.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Robert Heinlein put the following definition in the mouth of one of his characters. "Love is that condition where another person's happiness is necessary for your own".

I think he had a point, but I have a few reservations. I'd make it more an outgoing concern for the well being of another person. I'm not sure happiness has to come into it. Perhaps he meant that if the loved person has problems it causes concern in the loving person.

To get religious for a moment, Jesus put it well. "Love your enemies". That doesn't means you want to go to bed with them, or even that you approve of what they do in any way. It just means that you wish them well, not harm. Even the most evil person in history (pick your own) should not be wished ill. You can wish that they mend their ways without implying any approval of them whatsoever.

HeatherAnn

jar-candy-hearts.jpg

I've decided love = sacrifice, at least that is how you end up showing your love.
You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

So, tit for tat.

Love, like pretty much all we perceive, seems based on narrow subjectivity - illusion. “Functional illusions are priceless.” Dogs seem to be that - they love you because they depend on you & you care for them. A friend admits he only trusts & loves his dog - & thinks humans suck. He doesn’t realize how bad he treats others - & unlike dogs, they won’t keep coming back for more.

I think a lot depends on whether expectations are realistic or not.

JIMMY12345

jar-candy-hearts.jpg

You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

wellwisher

jar-candy-hearts.jpg

You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

Love appears to be a type of neural crossing programming process, between the unconscious minds of two people. Picture two computers with different programs merging together, to form one system, that is the integration of the two different parts; team is more than the sum of its parts. This is why couples who satisfy the needs of the cross programing become one composite person/team who can finish each other's sentences. These bonds can last a lifetime.

The sacrifice that you pointed out is connected to the ego, which wishes to stay separate and unique. However, it needs to merge via the cross programming process; us instead of me. This resistance can lead to bugs.

When male and female DNA merge, the genes shuffle to form a more stable structural composite of the two. Love is similar but at the level of the brain and unconscious mind. The male brain is more wired, front to back while the female brain is more wired, side to side. The integration process allows each to become more complete; merge into the cross program. The biblical tradition of the male leading is due to front to back wiring connected to the visual cortex which is a universal language. Left to right is more connected to cultural language which has a subjective foundation. Rational visual needs to come first; natural objective.

In modern culture, based on the ego, the natural cross programming is much less effective, since there is ego resistance both individual and cultural. The result are bugs at best or a need to divorce, to start a fresh install, since the merger got messed up way beyond only some bugs.

Another modern problem is connected to homosexuality and gender preferences. The natural process is designed for male and female since these are the two extremes in terms of form; DNA, and function; side to side versus front to back.

These others more ego-centric choices, which have less potential and do not program to the same degree. One may use two of the same heads instead of genetically different heads and tails. The former will not complete the natural merger, since some of the unconscious natural data is missing. One may start the instal process, but it cannot be completed at the deepest levels.

The operating system of the brain has three basic levels. The most shallow is connected to natural instinct; sexual attraction. This starts the process. The second level causes role reversal; masculine side of the women and feminine side of the male. The third level reverses again. It is more difficult to get to the higher levels without the natural cross sexual data. Mimicking external data is not enough.

Love is scary for some since flaws on the programming can cause you to lose yourself while not allowing the merger to complete properly; lose yourself and the opportunity to love deeply.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
jar-candy-hearts.jpg

You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

What's the price of apathy? Maybe it's in the way we ask the question. What's the value of love in contrast to the value of apathy?

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
There are those who have given up on love, perhaps because the cost is too high.

That's what I was alluding to, which is why chose to rephrase the question. Value would imply an "is it worth it" quality to consider, as would apathy in contrast. Is love worth it? How about apathy? Which is worth pursuing according to intrinsic values of?

Yerda

Veteran Member
You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

Anything worth having involves sacrifice and bit of a gamble but try to find me someone on their deathbed who wishes they had loved less. Allowing your compassion to guide you is the only way to live life with real grace and fullness. Money, status, objects, achievements - all just clutter if you don't give love.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
jar-candy-hearts.jpg

You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

Love is never having to say you're sorry.

Schwarzweg

Ullr, Nebet-Het,Wendigowak
jar-candy-hearts.jpg

You sacrifice your time.
Your money,
Your health,
Your resources.

Ja ..................Preis der Liebe ?
Dazu, und das ist richtig, muß man erstmal rausfinden WAS Liebe ist.
Viel umschreibt der Mensch mit Liebe, wofür man auch ganz schnell ein anderes Wort finden würde.
Wahrscheinlich gibt es sie gar nicht, denn wenn sie mit einer ABSOLUTHEIT beschrieben wird ,
KANN der Mensch sie schonmal nicht aufbringen, weil er immer 2 Seiten fühlt und denkt.
Zumindest einem anderen Menschen gegenüber. Man meint noch so zu lieben, aber schon
im nächsten Moment kann man was zu meckern haben oder etwas passt einem nicht.
Absolut und uneingeschränkt schonmal gar nicht .
Subjektiv - magisch ........nur eine Phase oder ein Augenblick ...danach schlägt das weltliche und
menschliche Denken und Fühlen wieder zu und gut gemeint :
Ich hab dich lieb, ich mach das doch gerne für Dich, ist alles nur alltägliche Routine, wieso Liebe ? muss ich doch machen ,
ich hab ne soziale Ader, fällt mir leicht usw.usw. .................
Aber LIEBE ? Z.B.= Das war keine Liebe, das war kühles rationales Denken und danach Handeln
Das kann man auch ALLES auf seinen Partner münzen und natürlich mag man ihn auch SEEEEHR , aber LIEBE ???
Ich denke da , da wird sehr viel verwechselt ...........................
Evtl. auf einer anderen Ebene , aber hier auf der weltlichen ? Da macht man sich selbst "was vor".................
Ich HABE das mal für mich gewußt, weiß aber jetzt, das ich das knicken kann
Das Projekt Mensch und LIEBE ? Alles Andere völlig richtig und o.k. ist aber meiner Meinung nach KEINE Liebe.
Dann gibt es sie wohl nicht, aber starker Toback das einzugestehen .
Lasst doch bei Allem mal den Menschen außen vor
Was bleibt ?
Da kann man sich viele GROSSE Hauptwörter sparen, mit denen sich der Mensch nur unnötig belastet.
Aber so ist der Mensch........bestimmte Dinge kann man nun mal nicht abstellen ...dafür ist man MENSCH