• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cost gap

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
We hear a lot about the wage gap but one thing that doesn't get a lot of attention that i ran into today is the cost gap. In other words the idea that women are frequently charged more for things like hair cuts, dry cleaning, deodorant razors and other personal hygiene implements, health insurance, clothing, and numerous other things. This was brought to light for me when i was deciding where to go to get a hair cut and found that several places had separate prices for men and women with women being more expensive.

Looking back over the past couple years, i've started primarily buying men's jeans razors deodorant shorts, shoes, among other things because sticking to the womens department in those areas made finding stuff that fit without riding up or being too tight or covered in glitter or too small or too overloaded with perfumes or just plain being uncomfortable a nightmare and i found the stuff in the mens area to be overall more effective and more durable and more comfortable. Looking back i realize that a lot of it was cheaper too.

Overall what do you think causes this price discrimination and how best do you think we can combat it?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This is a really good thread, why do women make less money for the same work and pay more for similar products?

MissAlice

Interestn'. I never knew about cost gaps but I do know that some women tend to be say more well groomed in terms of clothing, hair, makeup, shoes, etc. For me personally, I cannot afford nice clothes and least of all a nice hair cut though I've had quite a few in my life. I get a $20.00 one which is cut no longer than 3-4 inches off as it is thick and heavy to maintain. I also tend to prowl around the men's area for a comfortable plaid shirt that isn't translucent and overly priced and requires and undergarment to go along with it. As for shaving, I use soap or don't shave unless my arms are in an un-open cut shirt and I get to relax and be myself. Make up tends to irritate my skin. I only wear it on special occasions even though I love the look of it. With nice clothes, I absolutely do what I can to preserve them which may mean mending, a clean in the bath tub and an iron board. Insurance? Can't afford it atm. And yes it plagues me considerably.

I say we combat the problem with big black hiking boots, big comfortable shirts and the famous moostache to go with it. :p But in all seriousness, I combat the problem by not buying unless I can afford to and absolutely need to. I'd move to Canada or Sweden for a better quality of health but I'm not sure they'd take in someone with Aspergers who can't drive let alone work hard enough to be a productive part of society.

Alceste

Vagabond
Interestn'. I never knew about cost gaps but I do know that some women tend to be say more well groomed in terms of clothing, hair, makeup, shoes, etc. For me personally, I cannot afford nice clothes and least of all a nice hair cut though I've had quite a few in my life. I get a $20.00 one which is cut no longer than 3-4 inches off as it is thick and heavy to maintain. I also tend to prowl around the men's area for a comfortable plaid shirt that isn't translucent and overly priced and requires and undergarment to go along with it. As for shaving, I use soap or don't shave unless my arms are in an un-open cut shirt and I get to relax and be myself. Make up tends to irritate my skin. I only wear it on special occasions even though I love the look of it. With nice clothes, I absolutely do what I can to preserve them which may mean mending, a clean in the bath tub and an iron board. Insurance? Can't afford it atm. And yes it plagues me considerably.

I say we combat the problem with big black hiking boots, big comfortable shirts and the famous moostache to go with it. :p But in all seriousness, I combat the problem by not buying unless I can afford to and absolutely need to. I'd move to Canada or Sweden for a better quality of health but I'm not sure they'd take in someone with Aspergers who can't drive let alone work hard enough to be a productive part of society.

Canada will have you. The easiest way to get in is to start applying for jobs in northern Alberta. Even working in a fast food joint will earn you $20 an hour or so. There's more jobs than people, but I'm not gonna lie - it's a crappy party of the world to live in.

Alceste

Vagabond
We hear a lot about the wage gap but one thing that doesn't get a lot of attention that i ran into today is the cost gap. In other words the idea that women are frequently charged more for things like hair cuts, dry cleaning, deodorant razors and other personal hygiene implements, health insurance, clothing, and numerous other things. This was brought to light for me when i was deciding where to go to get a hair cut and found that several places had separate prices for men and women with women being more expensive.

Looking back over the past couple years, i've started primarily buying men's jeans razors deodorant shorts, shoes, among other things because sticking to the womens department in those areas made finding stuff that fit without riding up or being too tight or covered in glitter or too small or too overloaded with perfumes or just plain being uncomfortable a nightmare and i found the stuff in the mens area to be overall more effective and more durable and more comfortable. Looking back i realize that a lot of it was cheaper too.

Overall what do you think causes this price discrimination and how best do you think we can combat it?

I think it's just supply and demand. We pay more because we're willing to. In my town there are half a dozen women's clothing stores and ONE store that carries men's clothes. (A sporting goods store.) Women shop more and are willing to spend more money for whatever they buy.

I'm not sure how to combat that, or even if it needs combating. For myself, I get all my clothes from a thrift shop and cut my own hair (and my husband's, and my grandmother's). I do have a weakness for shoes though. :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Price discrimination can happen because of how price structuring and marketing are regulated in any given country. I don't know much about these policies, but I do know it is sadly legal to market virtually the exact same product to two different marketing demographics and charge a separate cost for each. Health and beauty products are notorious for double-standard pricing by sex and sexist marketing practices. There is no reason for doing this other than to make a profit: same active ingredients are in men's deodorants and shampoos as in women's. I don't mind the fragrance differences, but gods sakes, just market it by fragrance, not by sex and then jack up prices because someone happens to like so-called "feminine" scents.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Here is an interesting article on the topic:

Sex Discrimination and Gender Bias - Why Do Women Pay More Than Men - Marie Claire

I can vouch personally for when I individually go to negotiate for large ticket purchases as opposed to me and my husband together going to negotiate. Generally speaking, I alone am faced with a wall of "not store policy" or "not company policy" to negotiate. But I'll go into the same store with the hubbie and suddenly the store is willing.

Also, when I alone go to have the car worked on, the staff at the auto shop are constantly telling me I need at least 5 more "necessary" work orders for our car, and then attempted to shame me into getting the work done if I have kids I drive around in that car. But if my husband goes with me - to the same auto repair shop - he is never told of any more "necessary" repair work the car should get.

Hubbie was unaware until I'd tell him repeatedly how many businesses talk to me as opposed to how they talk to us or just him. He would wonder why I hated taking the car in to get it worked on until he heard years of conversation from me, and made the connection of how - for him personally - it was a simple "in and out" visit at the place of business.

So, we go together when we want to make big ticket purchases. It's the best we can do right now.

Alceste

Vagabond
Here is an interesting article on the topic:

Sex Discrimination and Gender Bias - Why Do Women Pay More Than Men - Marie Claire

I can vouch personally for when I individually go to negotiate for large ticket purchases as opposed to me and my husband together going to negotiate. Generally speaking, I alone am faced with a wall of "not store policy" or "not company policy" to negotiate. But I'll go into the same store with the hubbie and suddenly the store is willing.

Also, when I alone go to have the car worked on, the staff at the auto shop are constantly telling me I need at least 5 more "necessary" work orders for our car, and then attempted to shame me into getting the work done if I have kids I drive around in that car. But if my husband goes with me - to the same auto repair shop - he is never told of any more "necessary" repair work the car should get.

Hubbie was unaware until I'd tell him repeatedly how many businesses talk to me as opposed to how they talk to us or just him. He would wonder why I hated taking the car in to get it worked on until he heard years of conversation from me, and made the connection of how - for him personally - it was a simple "in and out" visit at the place of business.

So, we go together when we want to make big ticket purchases. It's the best we can do right now.

That sucks. I got totally scammed by a dirty mechanic, but I was with my husband at the time. I've got a really decent one now who I completely trust. He's always insisting on doing the absolute cheapest and minimal repairs because my car has over 300,000 km on it. And he shows me exactly what he's doing.

Two professions I hate dealing with are dentists and mechanics. So many of them seem to take it as a license to scam.

Aquitaine

That sucks. I got totally scammed by a dirty mechanic, but I was with my husband at the time. I've got a really decent one now who I completely trust. He's always insisting on doing the absolute cheapest and minimal repairs because my car has over 300,000 km on it. And he shows me exactly what he's doing.

Two professions I hate dealing with are dentists and mechanics. So many of them seem to take it as a license to scam.

As for mechanics, I assume a number of them will just go "Oh a woman, she won't know anything about cars so she'll be easy £££" (or $$$ for you guys!).
In the UK an all-female run car repair garage has opened, and they're doing well because a lot of customers (including women) trust them more.

Lemme try and find an article on it.........

UK's first all-female garage enjoys enduring popularity | AOL Cars UK

Alceste

Vagabond

As for mechanics, I assume a number of them will just go "Oh a woman, she won't know anything about cars so she'll be easy £££" (or $$$ for you guys!).
In the UK an all-female run car repair garage has opened, and they're doing well because a lot of customers (including women) trust them more.

Lemme try and find an article on it.........

UK's first all-female garage enjoys enduring popularity | AOL Cars UK

That's cool. :) I love it when something happens to my car I can fix myself. I don't know why there aren't more female mechanics.