• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The correct interpretation of Jesus and Scripture?

Jethro Tull

Fisher of men
Hello friends,

I would like to direct your attention to a simple website that I stumbled upon some time ago, called The Truth Contest.
http://www.thetruthcontest.com

I have been reading a particular entry from this site entitled "The Present (with religion)," and I am in awe. I felt I should share this with you because I think you'll find it quite interesting. The book presents an interpretation of what Jesus was/is actually saying, and attempts to reveal the truth in the Bible.

For example, on page 21 of The Present (with religion):
-----
I am the way, the truth and the life.
No one goes to the father except through me.
Jesus, John 14:6

He is literally saying that he is the truth and the life. He does not say he is a man or God, he says he is truth and life. How could it be more clear or direct?

Jesus is saying; if you know the truth and the life you know him.

Knowing the truth and true life (a.k.a. Jesus) is the way.

Jesus also says you have to go through him to get to God/heaven. In other words, you have to know the truth and the life before you can know God.

The truth + the life = God.

Jesus said, “You will know the truth and the truth will make you free.”

Jesus is saying the truth will set you free from your own mind, your false self. Jesus said, “I have overcome the world.” Jesus is saying the truth will overcome deception, the mind of the world.

Jesus said, "Your minds must be cleared of the falsehoods of this realm if you are to be taught Eternal Truth."

Christians that believe a bearded man in a sheet and sandals will greet them when they die are going to be disappointed. That Jesus, the man Jesus, no longer exists, but the truth and the life, the spiritual Jesus, does exist.

Jesus said, “The world will see me no more, but you will see me, because I live, you will live also, you are in me and I am in you.”

Jesus said, “I am in spirit and truth.” Again, what he says is perfectly clear.

The Bible says; You shall be like Jesus, for you shall see him as he is.

False Christians: People that do not know the truth and the life cannot call themselves Christians. Jesus says you have to know the truth and life to know him, be like him. It is what the Bible says literally; it is not an interpretation.

People that worship an image of a dead man do not know the truth and life.

Jesus said, “People honor me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. They worship me in vain, teaching the precepts and principles of men.”
-----

That's just a small part of the book, but I find the interpretation to be mind-blowing. Reading further, I found that I could see the truth in Christianity for the first time. This book reveals truth in a clear way with simple language that we can all check for ourselves, and I think that is why it is worth showing to you. All I'm asking is that you check out this book for yourself and comment on the content. What do you think?

Jesus said, “Whoever finds the correct interpretation of what I am saying will find eternal life.”

Is The Present (with religion) the correct interpretation?

I look forward to reading your thoughts!

Namaste

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Seems to me that it is nothing more than his interpretation of the Bible.
Nothing less, nothing more.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Mildly interesting, but it's one perspective. I doubt that I'll be selling my beads and running off to join him, any more than I would have joined David Koresh.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Interpretation is always done within the scope of "the sense of the community." One person's opinion is never the be-all-end-all.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Okay. What do you think of it? After checking it for yourself, do you find it accurate?
No more so, no less so than most other versions.

It is like asking if {insert Christian denomination here} are accurate.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I'll stick with my interpretation, but if yours make you happy, well good luck to you.:)

blueman

God's Warrior
It's a stretch, but whatever makes you feel better in absence of believing Jesus Christ claim to be the only path to salvation.

blackout

Violet.
The OP is right along the lines of how I read/interpret the primary message of the 'Christ Teachings'. No great suprise to anyone here I'm sure.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Greetings Jethro.
That’s an interesting book. A quick look gives the impression that the author presents an approach to understanding Jesus and ultimate reality that is somewhat consistent with some of the ideas presented by many teachers of spirituality. The following excerpts from pages 18 and 19 of the book lend an interpretation consistent with my own perspective:

[FONT=&quot]Jesus said, “Therefore I say that if one is unified, one will be filled with light, but if one is divided one will be filled with darkness.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is a good example of Jesus using the word light as a metaphor for true life. He is saying if you are unified with God/life, you are fulfilled; if not, you are empty.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jesus said, “When you make the two one, you will be called sons of men.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Getting your mind out of the way and reuniting your spirit with the spirit of God is another way you make the two one. There are many ways, but this is the biggie.

[/FONT]
Thank you for sharing the book with us.

Jethro Tull

Fisher of men
Greetings friend.

Yes, I also feel this book tries to unify understanding in a simple way that is consistent with many prophets, philosophies, and religions. It's quite a long read, but I feel that this community will find it very interesting and worthwhile, thus the reason I am sharing it. I have read both versions from the website, and I am a changed man. I find it especially respectable because it is in line with the Buddhist teaching, "don't believe anything until you check it for yourself." The content in this book doesn't rely on blind faith; it presents ideas and evidence that we can all check for ourselves. I found the version with religion especially concurrent with this forum, because it presents the words of Jesus that live on in spirit, and the teachings of Scripture in a very understandable way that doesn't require blind faith. This book helped me understand the true message of Jesus and Scripture for the first time.

I'm glad you find it interesting, and sharing this is the least I can do for a respectable community such as this forum. =)

Namaste

Free4all

It's all about the blood
From what I've read in this post I would say yes that is the way I read those verses. Here's a good one.

John 9:4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Before Jesus died on the cross, it was called "day" - works was involved with salvation. When he died it is called "night" - no more works involved with salvation, but grace only.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Jethro Tull,

Those who are enlightened know what Jesus was talking about and so is revered even by unenlightened people of Sanatan Dharma followers. Sanatan dhrama followers are open about all enlightened people and pray to all such people which is no problem with anyone rather no one will question or object to such acts and say that this is against the tenets of the dharma like many other religions.
Buddha on the other hand wants everyone to be enlightened themselves and know and be the TRUTH themselves and mainly through meditation and avoids wasting time in discussing about god or enlightened people etc. and is not against or for anything.

The problem faced by Jesus was that he was born in a land without any history of religious understanding and for him to communicate his message about the still mind to such a populace was really difficult and so even after 2000 years only very few people following Jesus became enlightened.
Simply because those who have no idea about the still mind or no-mind never understands that the mind never allows the individual to merge with that whole which humans have conceptualized as god.
Love & rgds

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The problem faced by Jesus was that he was born in a land without any history of religious understanding...
Love & rgds

I think it would be more accurate to say that it was a land that lacked dharmic history. Israel has a very long and extensive religious history. :D

Sonic247

Friend Jethro Tull,

Those who are enlightened know what Jesus was talking about and so is revered even by unenlightened people of Sanatan Dharma followers. Sanatan dhrama followers are open about all enlightened people and pray to all such people which is no problem with anyone rather no one will question or object to such acts and say that this is against the tenets of the dharma like many other religions.
Buddha on the other hand wants everyone to be enlightened themselves and know and be the TRUTH themselves and mainly through meditation and avoids wasting time in discussing about god or enlightened people etc. and is not against or for anything.

The problem faced by Jesus was that he was born in a land without any history of religious understanding and for him to communicate his message about the still mind to such a populace was really difficult and so even after 2000 years only very few people following Jesus became enlightened.
Simply because those who have no idea about the still mind or no-mind never understands that the mind never allows the individual to merge with that whole which humans have conceptualized as god.
Love & rgds
Israel had the The Old Testament, and in it it says, "be still and know that I am God."

Jethro Tull

Fisher of men

Thank you for the thoughtful post, friend. For this reason, I have much respect for the teachings of the Buddha. "Without melting, beating, weighing and polishing a yellow substance, one should not take it for gold." I think this teaching, that we all must check things for ourselves through our own logical reasoning before believing/accepting them as true, is important to incorporate when dealing with any religion, philosophy, or proposed truth.

I can see that Jesus and Buddha (and many other revolutionaries/prophets) were essentially saying the same thing, and I think it is important for us to realize this. In this way, the borders between separated religions will dissipate, causing a unity of understanding. This is the main reason I am sharing The Present (with religion) with this community. It presents interpretation and proposed truth in a way that we can all check for ourselves without relying on blind faith to show that many prophets of the past were essentially saying the same thing in different ways. When Christians see what their revolutionary prophet (Jesus) was/is actually saying, the dogmas that cause separation will fade away, and we will live as one.

I think The Present (with religion) is the correct interpretation of Jesus and Christian scripture, but this is something we all must check for ourselves.

with metta

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
.....I can see that Jesus and Buddha (and many other revolutionaries/prophets) were essentially saying the same thing, and I think it is important for us to realize this. In this way, the borders between separated religions will dissipate, causing a unity of understanding. ......
By the way Jethro Tull, WELCOME to Religious Forums.

You may find the following book (referenced in another thread by Ben d and linked by Zenzero) to be interesting. It is excellent and documents many that have the same central experience and teaching as you suggest:

History of Mysticism: The Unchanging Testament
by Swami Abhayananda
Free copy at: Spiritual Teaching Courses, Workshops and Intensives in Perth, Western Australia