1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Conservative Christian Case for Separation of Church and State

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Open_Minded, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Open_Minded

Open_Minded Nothing is Separate

Ratings:
    +33
    The Conservative Christian Case for Separation of Church and State

The linked letter is almost 3 years old. But, its message is as applicable today, as the day it was written:

#1 Open_Minded, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. Reverend Richard

Reverend Richard New Thought Minister

Ratings:
    +40
    I'll believe this when the first athiest is elected president of the U.S. Watching this thread should be interesting.

3. crossfire

crossfire Antinomian feminist heretic freak ☿
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Religion:
    ☿ Mercuræn Mahayana Buddhist & Pastafarian
    In Matt 4:8:11, when Satan tempted Jesus with "all the kingdoms of the earth," {what is that if it is not political power?} Jesus resisted. However, his followers keep on insisting to drag Jesus into politics.

When questioned by Pilate in John 18, Jesus said this:
    John 18:33-38
    33 Then Pilate went back into the headquarters, summoned Jesus, and said to Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?”

34 Jesus answered, “Are you asking this on your own, or have others told you about Me?”

35 “I’m not a Jew, am I?” Pilate replied. “Your own nation and the chief priests handed You over to me. What have You done?”

36 “My kingdom is not of this world,” said Jesus. “If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I wouldn’t be handed over to the Jews. As it is, My kingdom does not have its origin here.”

37 “You are a king then?” Pilate asked.

“You say that I’m a king,” Jesus replied. “I was born for this, and I have come into the world for this: to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to My voice.”

38 “What is truth?” said Pilate.​

The part highlighted in red above certainly parallels what is written in the letter in the OP, no?

4. tytlyf

tytlyf The Mind Eye

Ratings:
    +3,267
    No. You want to endorse candidates from the pulpit? Good, give up the tax exempt status.
    The linked article is essentially calling for christian sharia law. Don't put the bible before the constitution. As an atheist, I don't have that problem.

5. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,881
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    Well, at least, we can agree on some things. :)

6. Open_Minded

Open_Minded Nothing is Separate

Ratings:
    +33
    And if the Original Posts letter didn't say enough on the topic - today this came out in the Huffington Post:

Christianity As State Religion Supported By One-Third Of Americans, Poll Finds

God save us from the "Godly"

7. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Post-Anarchism Austin, TX
    :snickers:

I didn't read the link, but I do agree with this sentiment:

"It desecrates our pulpit to yield it to politics. We are called to something higher than to meddle in the affairs of ambitious men. We are not so Holy that we can merely baptize a candidate, and never drink the poison of his words. We do not stump for senators, we do not campaign for congressman, we do not preach for presidents, because the name of Christ is too precious to risk on a common election, no matter how important the issues at stake may seem. We cannot allow Jesus to become a political puppet, a sock on the arm of the statesman. Our role is to translate the values of scripture into the hearts and minds of every American, not to rule those Americans or force our values on them by manipulating the vote. The humble witness of Jesus is weakened when it is communicated through the edicts of rulers rather than the powerful persuasion of changed lives, hearts, and minds. The Kingdom of God cannot be voted into existence."

Very Kierkegaard.

8. esmith

esmith Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,843
    Religion:
    No name designated at this time.
    I just fell out of my chair, seems I agree with you. However, one must expect you and others to support those that have problematic issues with those that want to put their agenda above the "rights" granted by the Constitution and Bill of Rights.