• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coexistence of Light and Darkness in Mystical Christianity

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
This is really a strict belief i hold in my own personal path of Christian Mysticism/Esoterism.

I believe that Light and Darkness (Good and Evil) are the forces that make up our universe, because this universe is made by a being of outer darkness and a being of inner light, the being of inner light starting this creation and the outer being interfering.

Light and darkness are coexistent. they exit in one another and cannot be dispelled from one another.

In every sarkness there is a light, in every light there is a darkness. We can never fully defeat darkness, there will always be evil in this world. just like we can never completely defeat light or goodness. All we can do is minimalize either of the two to a fit amount.

The only place that light or darkness are full and touch no darkness or light from their different planes, are Hell (Eternal Darkness) and Heaven (Eternal Light). The beings who control these are Adonai/Christ/Trinity of the Light, and Satan of the darkness and sin.

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
??????

i dont think your understanding this. its like yin and yang. good and evil coexist on thi physical plane. they do not exist in the realities of heaven and hell

Mike182

Flaming Queer
~Lord Roghen~ said:
??????

i dont think your understanding this. its like yin and yang. good and evil coexist on thi physical plane. they do not exist in the realities of heaven and hell

oh, ok i get ya :)

SoliDeoGloria

The only place that light or darkness are full and touch no darkness or light from their different planes, are Hell (Eternal Darkness) and Heaven (Eternal Light). The beings who control these are Adonai/Christ/Trinity of the Light, and Satan of the darkness and sin.

This is not a Biblically sound belief at all. The first interesting thing I noticed about this is that it is an exception to your initial belief that:
Light and darkness are coexistent. they exit in one another and cannot be dispelled from one another.
Following the First principle of Noncontradiction, If there is one exception to what you initially stated, then there is the possibility for many, making your statement false.

From a scientific standpoint, darkness is the absence of light, which is a revealing enough statement in itself. This reminds me of a cliche that goes "If every day was a sunny day, then what is a sunny day?" Notice, the cliche does not rule out the possibility of light without darkness, all it points out is that we as human beings would have a hard time distinguishing and/or defining what light is without darkness. So even without a Biblical basis, is it possible for for light to exist without darkness and visa-versa? The answer is, yes. But you have already answered that with your own exceptions. Now, I understand fully that you are actually talking about good and evil, but the same principle's can very much apply to both.

From a Biblical stanpoint, nowhere is Satan considered the "controller" of hell. Satan hasn't even been put there yet (Job 1:7 2:2; 1Pet. 5:8) and will not be placed there until the final judgement (Rev. 20) along with everybody else that will be put there.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
ok, let me say this opne more time. yes it is possible for goodness to exist without evil, but only in heaven where there is only light. in hell there is only darkness. these3 two coexist in this universe

Ori

Angel slayer
~Lord Roghen~ said:
ok, let me say this opne more time. yes it is possible for goodness to exist without evil, but only in heaven where there is only light. in hell there is only darkness. these3 two coexist in this universe

Evil seems to be winning then. :(

Ori

Angel slayer
~Lord Roghen~ said:
i believe thats all in perspective

Yes, your probably right, I have always had a fairly cynical outlook on life, maybe you're my balance.

The distinction is there is no evil in God, so the argument that God is 'all good' suffers from our perspective which is confined by relativity - yet it remains the case - good and evil as opposites is subsequent to and external to the Divine Nature.

'Good' is a reference according to relation, so God in Himself is not 'good' because there is no measure of God as such (ie in Scripture God said "I am that I am" not "I am Good") ... we 'measure' or 'define' God as the exemplar of every quality: Goodness, Beauty, Infinite, Absolute, All-Possible, etc.

All things are possible in God, but again we hit a contradiction - evil by definition is contra to the will of God (were itnot, we could not know it as 'evil'), but what can cause God to will what he chooses not to will? Nothing, so evil has no actuality. If something causes God to will other than what her would freely choose, then by definition he is not God, but subject to external caause, which is necessarily greater than he.

Man, however, has 'free will' and esoterically and metaphysically the only 'real' freedom is to deny the will of God, which he does by willing 'other than the best good' and thus actualise evil in the world (he wills his own good, which is relative, contingent, ephemeral, fleeting, etc.), and if we are to believe scripture and tradition, it would appear that angels willed 'other than the good' also.

Interestingly, Islamic tradition holds that the angels fell because they refused to worship man, whom they saw as lesser beings than themselves (as incorporeal beings of pure spirit), whereas man is a being of spirit and matter, and in this sense he is 'more' than angelic. (In the exercise of his faculties, however, he is less.)

The argument for this is that tradition holds the angels were created before the world, hgence are not mentioned in any creation myth (I think). When God created man, his work was complete, thus man is the summation and pinnacle of God's creative effort. The work of the sixth day was 'very good' whereas the previous days were simply 'good'.

Likewise St Paul says man is ordained 'higher than the angels'

I would say, rather than good existing only as abslute in heaven, is that evil exists only as a reality in man and angels - animals are not 'evil' in the sense of willing 'other than good' - animals do not display any sign of such debate within themselves (ie philosophy) - their actions are governed by practicality.

That the cosmos is subject to evil is another matter.

'Thomas

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
'Good' is a reference according to relation, so God in Himself is not 'good' because there is no measure of God as such (ie in Scripture God said "I am that I am" not "I am Good") ... we

Jhn 1:5

"God is light and in him is no darkness at all."

Master Vigil

Since I don't believe in heaven or hell, but a dualistic universe contained within a perfectly balanced Tao. I see Tao not as a perfect opposite, but a state where neither opposites exist. Perfect balance, and perfect peace.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
Since I don't believe in heaven or hell, but a dualistic universe contained within a perfectly balanced Tao. I see Tao not as a perfect opposite, but a state where neither opposites exist. Perfect balance, and perfect peace.

That is the way I see it, but in Christian terms.