• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christian Missionary and the Inuit Man

Sabour

Well considering the idea (and not the case) it is quite simple.

God doesn't hold you accountable for what you didn't know or nobody told you about (this includes if the truth wasn't presented properly).

So if you understood the message and chose not to obey than you are in trouble.

What about the ones who didn't knew the message? They will be tested at the day of judgement too.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Once again in this thread I am seeing the anti-Christians bringing out the straw-man Christianity for its ritual pummeling.

No, we're pointing out something in Christian theology that doesn't make any sense. It's not a strawman if it's something that's actually a part of Christian belief.

AmbiguousGuy

When you said Christian prophets, did you include Jesus peace be upon him ?

Yes. Actually I consider Jesus a bit more holy, but I believe him to be a fictional character. His (re)writers had the opportunity for many years to make him a little holier as they went.

I have to believe the same about Muhammad. I do not accept the way Muslims describe him.

Sabour

Yes. Actually I consider Jesus a bit more holy, but I believe him to be a fictional character. His (re)writers had the opportunity for many years to make him a little holier as they went.

I disagree.

As time passes, (re)writers are making him less holy and are making him say things that he didn't say.

I have to believe the same about Muhammad. I do not accept the way Muslims describe him.

That opens for a long debate which I don't want to do on this thread.

AmbiguousGuy

The way you guys present Christian thinking, one would have to be brain-dead to be a Christian.

Can you give an example of what you're talking about? It certainly isn't a misrepresentation to claim that many Christians believe one must hear and reject the Word in order to risk hell. I've known many Christians who argued that those who never heard the gospel will not be judged.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Can you give an example of what you're talking about? It certainly isn't a misrepresentation to claim that many Christians believe one must hear and reject the Word in order to risk hell. I've known many Christians who argued that those who never heard the gospel will not be judged.

My point is you like attacking Christian fundamentalist thinking because it's easy to criticize. But I find the majority of intelligent Christians have intelligent thoughts on these issues.

Thana

Lady
The following is an old joke, but an illustrative one, IMO.

It seems clear that the unspoken answer to the Inuit fellow's last question would have been "In order to utilize your fear and ignorance so that I could convert you." (or something to that effect)

I think it's an interesting way to look at things. Wouldn't it have been better had the Inuk (means "individual Inuit man/woman" - I grew up surrounded by Inuit) never been exposed to such beliefs, especially if Christianity's perspective was valid? Isn't spreading such ideas inherently coercive?

What do you think about this joke and its implications?

No, the answer to the question would have been "So you can know and love your Father who loves you"

Not telling someone about God is like knowing the answer to the most important question, But refusing to tell anyone else. To me, It's just cruel.

If I was the Inuit, I'd want to know my Father.

It's got nothing to do with 'gaining converts'
Honestly, We (The average Christians) don't gain crap when someone converts to Christianity. No extra points from God, no nicer digs in heaven, No nothing.

adi2d

If we extend this notion out, doesn't it mean that Christians should support the killing of all fetuses?

Each one aborted is another soul which will certainly escape hell.

Theology -- what a mind-tangler.

Even if we never abort another fetus. If what you said here is true the majority of inhabitants of heaven would never have sinned.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The way you guys present Christian thinking, one would have to be brain-dead to be a Christian.

Well, I used to be a Catholic and I've thought pretty deeply into these matters. It just doesn't add up, imo.

Instead of attacking us, why don't you don't you focus on the argument? Jesus in John did say that if you hadn't heard him, you're sinless but once you hear his message, you're convicted. So...?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well, I used to be a Catholic and I've thought pretty deeply into these matters. It just doesn't add up, imo.

Instead of attacking us, why don't you don't you focus on the argument? Jesus in John did say that if you hadn't heard him, you're sinless but once you hear his message, you're convicted. So...?

Then we would have to debate what 'his message' means and then the debate of all the different contexts and 101 interpretations and opinions....

I'll leave that to intelligent Christians .......like the Pope who doesn't believe you even have to be Christian to be saved/avoid hell/ go to heaven/etc...

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Then we would have to debate what 'his message' means and then the debate of all the different contexts and 101 interpretations and opinions....

I'll leave that to intelligent Christians .......like the Pope who doesn't believe you even have to be Christian to be saved/avoid hell/ go to heaven/etc...

I know what Catholic doctrine is in regards to what sends you to hell and such. It's more complicated than that.