• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christian God and how he deals with evil

Which do you think it is?

• Willing but not able to stop evil

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Able but not willing

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Able and willing

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Neither able nor willing

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I guess that's true.
This one just feels like its been up a few times more recently.
Yeah this is a very ad nasum topic. Idk what's more annoying repetitive topics or thread necroingm

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
  1. Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

yes, He is not able to prevent Evil, even if He really wants too. In fact He is not omnipotent, because all that we see has freedom and free will. Nature is free (that's why earthquakes take place). Men are free to decide.
So if you are God and you give someone freedom to decide, you are already becoming non-omnipotent, because you cannot interfere with their free will.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yeah this is a very ad nasum topic. Idk what's more annoying repetitive topics or thread necroingm
I was thinking the same thing.
On the other hand, I don't think I'd search previous threads to see if my topic was already discussed and what people were saying about it before making a thread either. So I guess I can't complain.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
  2. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
  3. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
  4. Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? Spoken by a Greek philosopher. Thoughts?

''Christian god'', is vague. Actually, I've asked people on RF what that means, (I first heard that term on RF), and I've never really received an definition.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
''Christian god'', is vague. Actually, I've asked people on RF what that means, (I first heard that term on RF), and I've never really received an definition.
Seems to me that the term "Christian God" refers to the god Christians claim exist.
Though, if you listen to enough Christians, you start to wonder if they are all talking about the same god at all.
Though, in all honesty, the exact same can be said about Muslims and the various versions of their Allah.

McBell

2. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
  3. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
  4. Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? Spoken by a Greek philosopher. Thoughts?
Seems you assume to much.
Are you of the mind that being able and willing equates required to?

Forgemaster

Heretic
Seems you assume to much.
Are you of the mind that being able and willing equates required to?

In most cases I would say no, but as many Christians (at least the ones I've talked to) claim that their God is 100% good so in this case I say yes because how can something that isn't evil allow it to exist knowing they can stop it at any point

McBell

In most cases I would say no, but as many Christians (at least the ones I've talked to) claim that their God is 100% good so in this case I say yes because how can something that isn't evil allow it to exist knowing they can stop it at any point
How does 100% good work if there is no bad?

Who gets to decide that is and what is not "good"?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You know what gets me whenever this question gets asked?

Given humans don't agree about what "evil" is (or if "evil" is even a thing), it makes no sense to assume that a non-human entity, particularly an omnimax, has the same conception of "evil" (if they have one at all) as any particular human.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
You know what gets me whenever this question gets asked?

Given humans don't agree about what "evil" is (or if "evil" is even a thing), it makes no sense to assume that a non-human entity, particularly an omnimax, has the same conception of "evil" (if they have one at all) as any particular human.
That's rather unfair as many claim that said god is the source of said morals.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's rather unfair as many claim that said god is the source of said morals.

Not sure how it's unfair. If a deity is omnimax, it has to be the source of everything by default. That fact doesn't negate the notion that an omnimax entity shouldn't be expected to have the same understanding of something as a human given their fundamentally different natures.

Mr. Beebe

Many have asked the question: Why didn't God destroy Satan at the very beginning of his apostasy and put an end to it once and for all?

I can tell you this: Satan made some accusations about God to the other Angels that were not true. Such as, God is a tyrant. God is mean, and exacting ect...

If God would have destroyed Satan at the inception of his sin,, then all the other angels would have never really known if Satan's accusations were true or not.They would have worshiped God out of fear,,instead of love. So, God has allowed sin to play out so that all may see that God is right and just in His dealing with sin and sinners.

After Jesus was mocked, spit on, slapped, and nailed to a cross the Angels in Heaven no longer have any questions about God and His love for His creation. But, many of us still do. So,, God gives us freewill to choose life,, or death.

Forgemaster

Heretic
Many have asked the question: Why didn't God destroy Satan at the very beginning of his apostasy and put an end to it once and for all?

I can tell you this: Satan made some accusations about God to the other Angels that were not true. Such as, God is a tyrant. God is mean, and exacting ect...

If God would have destroyed Satan at the inception of his sin,, then all the other angels would have never really known if Satan's accusations were true or not.They would have worshiped God out of fear,,instead of love. So, God has allowed sin to play out so that all may see that God is right and just in His dealing with sin and sinners.

After Jesus was mocked, spit on, slapped, and nailed to a cross the Angels in Heaven no longer have any questions about God and His love for His creation. But, many of us still do. So,, God gives us freewill to choose life,, or death.

I would say Satan was right, God is a tyrant, I see Satan as the anti-hero of the story, he was the one who dared stand up to a tyrant who has no morals by judges us based on how well we obey him and ignore his hypocrisy and the many great atrocities he has commited, or has allowed to commit in his name