• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Burning of Quran – A Modern Act of Barbarism

Looncall

That might've been the case if most Muslims around the world from different cultures and countries did this, which would speak poorly about most Muslims and Islam. However some people doing so does not come near to say anything about Muslims in general.

That is true. I wonder where the cutoff point should be? A few people clearly is not enough; several thousand people, though? How many thousands are needed for a good sample?

I admit I am not sure if there was violent reaction in places other than Afghanistan. Do you know? Perhaps an event that was only local could be ignored.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I assume that you don't believe that flag burning should fall under protected speech, either?

Flag burning I guess to me is ridiculous. If I hate a country (Russia-just kidding Russians) I just hate it. Me burning their flag does nothing, I am just burning some created material. But if I can demonstrate why I hate you and why you ought to be hated, that is more clever. Burning a Quran does what? Nothing. Yes it may attempt to convey an idea but its nothing demonstrative. I guess I have a weird way of looking at speech.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Burn books, burn flags, burn whatever you want to burn . I really could care less.

How about we take the Canuck (excuse me, Canadian) flag, demonstrate how weak Canada is militarily, take a poop and use the flag to wipe ourselves? You're telling me you still wouldn't care?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Flag burning I guess to me is ridiculous.
So was that a yes or no?

Flags and books are inanimate objects, and if it's people's own personal property that they're burning, then those who don't like it can simply ignore it, correct? It's that simple. I find the suggestion that rights and freedoms should be restricted to spare peoples insecurities and hypersensitivities an absolutely ridiculous and abhorrent one.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
^ I tend to agree, and I personally choose to ignore these acts.

However, those who are committing these acts need to expect that not all people can ignore it. I don't agree with limiting freedom to burn books though...we just need to not react at all; that will bore them anyway.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
So was that a yes or no?

Flags and books are inanimate objects, and if it's people's own personal property that they're burning, then those who don't like it can simply ignore it, correct? It's that simple. I find the suggestion that rights and freedoms should be restricted to spare peoples insecurities and hypersensitivities an absolutely ridiculous and abhorrent one.

Yes.

Perhaps yes if they bought a flag just to burn it its their right. I am saying that its not conveying anything to me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes.

Perhaps yes if they bought a flag just to burn it its their right. I am saying that its not conveying anything to me.

It conveys a disdain for said nation and/or religion. Of course I don't like it when people express disdain toward something I revere, but I still respect their right to express their opinion, even if I feel it's an absurd one.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are a lot of things that are distasteful or repugnant, but not illegal. Since they are not illegal, you really can't stop people from doing it. Burning books falls under that category. I would be all for the stopping of burning books and holy books of any faith, but at the same time, I don't really want to give up my freedom of speech.
EDIT: fixing an error, I meant to say this and not what I had written before:
Fortunately, it is not against the law in the USA to hurt someone's feelings.

Last edited:

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
This isn't about hurt feelings. I don't care if you barbecue or fish fry the US flag. Just don't do it in front of me and some of my Army and Jarhead buddies