• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang and Evolution

omega2xx

Don't be silly.<<

Don't be silly. The gene has to already be present if is going to be changed.The gene is not changed. The mutation only alters the characteristic the kid is going to get.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/genetic-mutation-1127

Your link only said it happened, they did not say how it did. That's the part these evo links always leave out or their statements.

So now you are accusing almost all of the scientists in the world who study genetics and evolution of such complete ignorance of their own subjects that they don't know something that can easily be found out from google.

I have not accused anyone of anything. I stated a law of genetics. If they don't use that in their work, that is not my problem.

You do understand what a daft suggestion that is, don't you?

Of course. It is the ones you make up About generics and mutations. The ones you accept by faith alone.

How many do you know of who do not support the literal interpretation of some religious creation story?

That is not the right question. The right question is how many to you know who can prove the creation story is not literal.

ArtieE

There is a nice way to show this---explain how a mutation can change the species. Until you can, you are the one who does not understand or are lying.
"Mutations are changes that can occur in genes. These changes are random and can be caused by background radiation and chemicals that we come into contact with, for example the chemicals in cigarette smoke.

Sometimes these changes can be so severe that the cell dies, sometimes the cell can divide uncontrollably and become cancerous, and sometimes the changes are small and the cell survives. Very rarely the changes may even be beneficial to us and produce new and useful characteristics.

Passing on mutations
If these changes occur in normal body cells, the changes are lost when we die. But if the changes occur in our sex cells such as sperm and ova, there is the possibility that the changes in the gene will be passed onto the next generation.

It is when these changes are passed on to the next generation that natural selection can either ensure that they are selected if they are useful, or disappear from the gene pool if they are not.

New species
The combined effect of these mutations, environmental changes, and natural selection, can sometimes produce changes in the organism that are so great that a new species is produced. This does not happen very often and only occurs when the mutated organism can no longer breed with the original species and is capable of producing fertile offspring."
BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Mutations - higher only

Mechanisms of Evolutionary Change | Nectunt

The causes of mutations

Last edited:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I have not accused anyone of anything. I stated a law of genetics. If they don't use that in their work, that is not my problem.
It is your problem if you want to be at all credible. I can only think of three options:
  • Pretty much every scientist in the world that studies genetics and evolution are so ignorant and stupid that they are ignoring simple science, that you can find easily via google.
  • Pretty much every scientist in the world that studies genetics and evolution are deliberately ignoring said simple science and being dishonest about it.
  • You are wrong.
Frankly, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't be struggling to make a choice.

You see, if you were claiming that there was some incredibly subtle and complicated problem with evolution and genetics, that most people had missed, that wouldn't be quite so daft. However, claiming that it's a blatant and obvious contradiction with established science is just silly because the only conclusion then is that most scientists in the field are stupid or lying.

Altfish

Veteran Member
A

And just how did the alleged primordial soup ( if it ever actually existed) come into existence.
Don't tell me , "God did it"

A most unsatisfactory answer, if scientists accepted that answer then progress comes to an abrupt halt.

Altfish

Veteran Member
An old book is irrelevant. It is verified by 4 honest men who considered bearing false witness a sin. Where is you evidence that the Bible is in the same category as the books you mentioned. Keep in mind that opinions are not evidence.
But the 4 honest men give different versions of many of the stories. The 4 honest mens' books were written many years after the events, memories fade and come confused. I struggle to remember what happened last week.
What about all the other books of the bible that were not used?

Altfish

Veteran Member
People making extraordinary claim, ie gods and spirits, need to produce extraordinary evidence to back their claims.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course I do---I would if I could, but I can't.

No, it's "I could, but won't" because you are dishonest in your request.

You've demonstrated repeatedly what a waste of time it is to try to help you, and that your requests for information are made in bad faith.

A few posts above this one is you asking, "There is a nice way to show this---explain how a mutation can change the species. Until you can, you are the one who does not understand or are lying" followed by the explanation.

You ignored it. You always do. I'll bet you didn't read it. Why would I play that game with you?

If you ever have a sincere request for information, you will have to demonstrate that sincerity first by making a good faith effort to find your answers yourself. You'll need to visit Google and a variety of sources.You'll need to review them, bring what you learned here, and ask any questions or offer any comments that you might have at that point. A half dozen of us or more will jump to your side to help. That's what we do.

But what I do don't is fetch for people that have no interest in what they are requesting, but rather, are trying to create the impression that they care about information and that nobody has it. It's a tired old game, and your pants have been pulled to your ankles repeatedly while playing it. You just got pantsed again - in this post.

omega2xx

But the 4 honest men give different versions of many of the stories.

A different story does not mean both are not true, unless one contradicts the other and none of them do that.

The 4 honest mens' books were written many years after the events, memories fade and come confused. I struggle to remember what happened last week.

I am puzzled how this untrue statement that time changes the truth got popular. They weren't doing it from memory. God inspired the exactly what to write.

What about all the other books of the bible that were not used?

A group[ of Protestant scholars and spent much time in prayer and study to try and determine which books to include. IMO God also inspired them which one the should put in the anon.

People making extraordinary claim, ie gods and spirits, need to produce extraordinary evidence to back their claims.

There is no evidence to prove spiritual truths, They must be accepted by faith alone. IMO saying something that is written is not true is an extraordinary claim, and you can't back that up.

No, it's "I could, but won't" because you are dishonest in your request.

Get real. If you could prove me wrong you would fall all over yourself doing it. You try to do i with your opinions but can't.

You've demonstrated repeatedly what a waste of time it is to try to help you,
Then quit and you will not be embarrassed when you can't prove you say and can't disprove what I say/

and that your requests for information are made in bad faith.

How silly and desperate. If you say something, am I just to take your word for it? You certainly won't take my word for anything, so why should I take your word. Especially when you don't really understand the subject.

A few posts above this one is you asking, "There is a nice way to show this---explain how a mutation can change the species. Until you can, you are the one who does not understand or are lying" followed by the explanation.

You ignored it. You always do. I'll bet you didn't read it. Why would I play that game with you?

How can you say I ignored it when I posted a problem for your answer. You didn't prove anything; you just said it did. You didn't give any evidence because there is none.

If you ever have a sincere request for information, you will have to demonstrate that sincerity first by making a good faith effort to find your answers yourself. You'll need to visit Google and a variety of sources.You'll need to review them, bring what you learned here, and ask any questions or offer any comments that you might have at that point. A half dozen of us or more will jump to your side to help. That's what we do.

I know the answer to the question I ask, you don't. You think just saying its true makes it true. How silly can one get.

But what I do don't is fetch for people that have no interest in what they are requesting, but rather, are trying to create the impression that they care about information and that nobody has it. It's a tired old game, and your pants have been pulled to your ankles repeatedly while playing it. You just got pantsed again - in this post.

When I was child I use to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things---I C or 13:11

If you are just here to speak like a child, go back o the playground where the other children are.

I will bless those who bless you(Abraham)---Gen 3:15
The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham--Mt 1:1

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A different story does not mean both are not true, unless one contradicts the other and none of them do that.

That is incorrect.

I am puzzled how this untrue statement that time changes the truth got popular. They weren't doing it from memory. God inspired the exactly what to write.

Then God has memory and credibility issues.

A group[ of Protestant scholars and spent much time in prayer and study to try and determine which books to include. IMO God also inspired them which one the should put in the anon.

Protestant? The Bible was cobbled together over a millennium before the first Protestant.

And why would the prayer and study of theologians interest me? Should I respect their musings? What makes them scholars? Religious studies?

There is no evidence to prove spiritual truths, They must be accepted by faith alone. IMO saying something that is written is not true is an extraordinary claim, and you can't back that up.

What can be offered without evidence can be ignored without comment. If there's no evidence, they are not truths. They are guesses, or as you say, believed by faith. Why should anybody respect that? What can't be believed on faith, including everything known to be untrue? There is no link between faith and truth. Faith cannot possibly be a path to truth if any idea or its polar opposite can be proclaimed true on faith.

Get real. If you could prove me wrong you would fall all over yourself doing it. You try to do i with your opinions but can't.

You've been proven wrong repeatedly, as you just were again, and nobody is waiting for you to acknowledge that.

If you want to discuss the rest of your post, please reformat it.

omega2xx

That is incorrect.<<

Not unless one contradicts the other. Just because one says Jesus walked on water and none of the other gospels include that story, doesn't make it untrue.

Then God has memory and credibility issues.

It must be wonderful to have a better memory than the omniscient God. It is more likely you have a serious understanding problem

Protestant? The Bible was cobbled together over a millennium before the first Protestant.

No it wasn't

And why would the prayer and study of theologians interest me?

Who said it should. You ask a question, I answered it. If you don't like my answer I couldn't care less.

Should I respect their musings? What makes them scholars? Religious studies?<<

If you don't know what makes a scholar, go back to the playground, I am sure one of them knows.

What can be offered without evidence can be ignored without comment. If there's no evidence, they are not truths.

I gave you the answser. If you cvoan't understand it, that's your problem.

They are guesses, or as you say, believed by faith. Why should anybody respect that?

Why should anyone respect what you say and can' prove. Many people much more intelligent than you are believe it based on faith alone. You are accepting what you beleive on faith alone. What's the difference?

What can't be believed on faith, including everything known to be untrue? There is no link between faith and truth. Faith cannot possibly be a path to truth if any idea or its polar opposite can be proclaimed true on faith.

Okay, then nothing you say and can't prove can have any truth associated with it. You can't disprove anything the Bible says.

You've been proven wrong repeatedly, as you just were again, and nobody is waiting for you to acknowledge that.

Your lack of understanding does not prove I am wrong

If you want to discuss the rest of your post, please reformat it.

I don't especially want to, you will disregard it also.

Altfish

Veteran Member
A different story does not mean both are not true, unless one contradicts the other and none of them do that..

Are you sure?
Look here...
Shredding the Gospels: Contradictions, Errors, Mistakes, Fictions by Diogenes the Cynic

I am puzzled how this untrue statement that time changes the truth got popular. They weren't doing it from memory. God inspired the exactly what to write..
Oh, so "God did it".
OK, can't argue with at.

A group[ of Protestant scholars and spent much time in prayer and study to try and determine which books to include. IMO God also inspired them which one the should put in the anon..
Oh no, not "God did it" again.
OK, again, I can't argue with at.

There is no evidence to prove spiritual truths, They must be accepted by faith alone. IMO saying something that is written is not true is an extraordinary claim, and you can't back that up. .
Faith is not proof. I cannot accept faith as proof, I need evidence
So, is Harry Potter also true?

Bob the Unbeliever

There is a nice way to show this---explain how a mutation can change the species. Until you can, you are the one who does not understand or are lying.

Google is your friend-- and it's obvious you are unacquainted with google.

ALL species we see on earth, have one or more mutations which is why they are separate species.

This is basic evolutionary biology-- another subject you are 100% unacquainted with.

There is more fact supporting evolution than pretty much any other science-- which begs the question:

Why is it such a mystery to people like .... you?

omega2xx

Are you sure?
Look here...
Shredding the Gospels: Contradictions, Errors, Mistakes, Fictions by Diogenes the Cynic

Not interested in checking what atheistic sites say. They do not understand the Bible any more than you do. Cut and paste what they say and I will answer.

Faith is not proof. I cannot accept faith as proof, I need evidence

I never said it was. You accept evolution without any proof.

So, is Harry Potter also true?

Go to a public library and ask the librarian what section you find Harry Potter books. Then you will know.

Gen 17:19 - But God said, No, but you shall call his name Isaac and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.

Luke 3:34 - The son of Jacob, the son of Isaac...

Thumper

Thank the gods I'm an atheist
Gen 17:19 - But God said, No, but you shall call his name Isaac and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.

Luke 3:34 - The son of Jacob, the son of Isaac...
If Joseph was the father of Jesus (aka, Yesuah bin Yosef) then it wasn't a "virgin birth".

Altfish

Veteran Member
I never said it was. You accept evolution without any proof.
:facepalm:
I accept evolution without proof - good grief, you have a nerve. I have read, listened to books, videos, been to presentations, I have questioned it and got answers that make sense.
I hasten to add, I'll change my mind tomorrow if good evidence is put in front of me.
What would make you change your mind about god?

Go to a public library and ask the librarian what section you find Harry Potter books. Then you will know.
Maybe not, but I've not seen many Bibles and religious books in the technology or science section.