• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The big Bad Catholic Church

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Never heard or read a christian call catholicism an antichrist or satan religion. Weird. Was it the first god/christ based religion?
What world do you live in? Both American and English Protestants have traditionally been incredibly anti-Catholic. It has diminished drastically these past seventy or so years and is now mostly constrained to the dingbats, but many Protestants will still not consider a Catholic as a legitimate Christian.

And yes, the Roman Catholic Church traces her roots to being the Church founded by Christ while recognising the legitimacy of the Eastern Orthodox apostolic succession. (Although these Churches claim each other to be in schism).

Last edited by a moderator:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
What world do you live in? Both American and English Protestants have traditionally been incredibly anti-Catholic. It has diminished drastically these past seventy or so years and is now mostly constrained to the dingbats, but many Protestants will still not consider a Catholic as a legitimate Christian.

And yes, the Roman Catholic Church traces her roots to being the Church founded by Christ while recognising the legitimacy of the Eastern Orthodox apostolic succession. (Although these Churches claim each other to be in schism).

Keep your pants on.

I do not live in America or England and I am also 28 years young and did not grow up in a abrahamic religion so keep that in mind.

I do know that there has been conflict between the two based on what the religious laws and that are but I cannot say I have heard it referred to as anti christ like. You know how I found out about that? A kids show. We were never taught that in school and I had not come across the roots of the conflict in any literature.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I do not live in America or England and I am also 28 years young so keep that in mind.
You're older than me. :D

But it's pretty basic history that Catholic and Protestants used to hate each other. Go back a few centuries and we were killing each other in some pretty vicious conflicts. Granted, few of these conflicts were purely religious.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
You're older than me. :D

But it's pretty basic history that Catholic and Protestants used to hate each other. Go back a few centuries and we were killing each other in some pretty vicious conflicts. Granted, few of these conflicts were purely religious.

Oh hahahaha. Way to make me feel like a nanna :p

Now I see it as basic history but when I saw it on a kids show I had no idea what so ever. I finally understood the conflict. I didnt know that it linked into battling for the throne of england, so to speak.

If I hadnt watched that show with my younger sister I would still be clueless lol.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Wait...'religion'? don't you mean 'denomination'?
Rhetorical question, it seems like your referring to all Xianity as 'pagan', here. Sheesh, I noticed that pretty quickly.

Not all xtians, just the Catholics. Pretty well based in pagan culture.
Yeah, U R quick to see what you want to see.

Kolibri

Was it the first god/christ based religion?

Jehovah says: "This people approaches me with their mouth
And they honor me with their lips,
But their heart is far removed from me;
And their fear of me is based on commands of men that they have been taught.
-----
How you twist things! (or "How perverse of you!")
Should the potter be regarded the same as the clay?
- Isaiah 29:13,16a

The first religion of man is one that was approved by God in the Garden of Eden. Man has taken it upon himself to define reality by a different set of rules.

If any of us want to know the "form of worship (or "religion.") that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father," (Jas 1:27) we need to remember that only God has to the right to dictate what he approves of. My personal studies have convinced me that the 66 books we have currently are truly the true God's written word.

Some religions that claim Christianity devalue the Bible by calling much of it myth, or internally schismed. Or they have their own traditions/writings that supersede it.
It is my conviction that this approach to understanding is backwards. If the Bible (all 66 books) seems to contradict itself, then it is our understanding of it that is still flawed.
We need to dig deeper and/or find teachers that already show evidence that they are really living and adjusting to line up with the Bible itself.
Then we can "come to an accurate knowledge of the truth." - 1 Timothy 2:4

HonestJoe

I know many Christians who think the Catholic Church is the Religion of the antichrist. Many non Christians who think it to be Satanic as well.
I don't consider anything Satanic at all (for one obvious reason) but I don’t consider the Catholic Church an especially positive organisation, especially looking historically.

You talk a lot about words and purported principles but nothing about its actions. For many years, the Catholic Church wasn't just a church but an empire and it was responsible for many of the bad things that so often happen in empires. Many people suffered and died at the hands of the Catholic leadership under that empire. Much was done with money and power in mind rather than any consideration of God, let alone the people. There are plenty of other empires and nations who have been responsible for similar atrocities of course but the Catholic Church is meant to be based on the very principles you're listing and on that basis it could be said to have fundamentally failed in many aspects.

Though the Catholic Church has much less power these days, elements of this remain, such as in some of its actions in relation to birth control, homosexuality and merging charitable work with proselytisation. It also seems to remain internally conflicted on many of these questions and so not in such a strong position to state "this is the definitive Catholic position" on anything. It's far from being the worst thing in the world (any more) but it's also far from being the best.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
with all due respect, dear, but don't you think you are a bit monothematic?
That is, your threads are almost exclusively about the catholic Church.

I understand that in the Anglo-Saxon world Catholics are a minority and are always seen with diffidence and sometimes criticized. But I've met so many Protestants in my life and they don't hate us.
we are all Christians and there are lots of Evangelical pastors that love and admire the Catholic Church, especially in Germany.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Since Catholicism is a "Religion of Satan" isn't the catholic Church the most evil institution on the face of the earth? Doesn't God passionately hate the Catholic Church?

To think of Catholicism in such exaggerated terms is to become ridiculous. In the long run of human spirituality, Catholicism will amount to little more than has any religion of the Upper Paleolithic.

Midnight Rain

I don't much care for Catholicism. It has been part of my family for generations. But there is a lot of asinine commandments that are enforced as well as a strict control of its population. I find it to be generally sexist in nature and totalitarian in demeanor. Though this is now speaking of the organization and not of some vague "message".

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
"Bless me, father, for I have sinned, it has been 45 years since my last confession...." ;)

O.M.G.
That was too much funny.
Oh, oh, another message from the staff is coming!:eek::eek:
(sorry. I love the staff. they keep me in line you know.)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Wait. If the RCC says atheists will go to heaven, then it doesn't require baptism.
Or is that like baptism is only required if you are a 'christian'.
Then just don't be a Christian, and everythings cool.
No it was not. It's a pagan based religion.
Pagan based Religion. Hahaha! Try monotheistic Religion that forbids Idolatry, sorcery, and magic.

If the Catholic Church is Pagan that means there was no Christian Church on the face of the earth until the 16th Century.

It also means the Bible came from a Pagan Religion.

Clarky

Pope Of Antitheism
Certainly not the most evil institution out, but historically one of the most vile.

Just as Islam is the most dangerous religion in 2015, in the 1930s it was Catholicism, what with it's strident ties to Fascism and endorsement of antisemitism.

Clarky

Pope Of Antitheism
The Catholic Church did much to save Jews from the Nazis.

Many Jews speak in praise of Pius the XII.

The Good Samaritan: Jewish Praise for Pope Pius XII by Dimitri Cavalli

That they did; just like they funded much scientific research in the early modern period, so executing, suppressing and excommunicating scientists who disagreed with their view wasn't that bad.

Hatred against the killers of Christ was dogma until 1964. Pius was the same as a Nazi; he wanted Papal absolutism, a centralized government and moreover didn't use enough of his authority in criticizing the totalitarian regimes of the time.