• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible made a mess of Christianity

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think when you can figure out the differences between knowing scripture and knowing when to quote scripture you'll be on the road you're looking for, you remind me of the guy in scripture call Legion, only a modern day version. Cool.
You believe I'm possessed by demons? :p

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Acts 15... council of Jerusalem...no need to follow mosaic law...
1) You said Jesus...
2) That was about circumsicion and it was for the Gentiles
3) The Last Will and New Testament was enacted by the death of Jesus (with more promises)

:D Or are we going to just cut out the scriptures in the Older Covenant that talked about what Jesus was coming for? :D

Spiderman

Veteran Member
1) You said Jesus...
2) That was about circumsicion and it was for the Gentiles
3) The Last Will and New Testament was enacted by the death of Jesus (with more promises)

:D Or are we going to just cut out the scriptures in the Older Covenant that talked about what Jesus was coming for? :D
Jesus and the holy Spirit are one...they didn't distinguish that Jews had to keep the law while gentiles didn't...where does the old covenant say that the law should have exceptions or not be followed?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Jesus and the holy Spirit are one...they didn't distinguish that Jews had to keep the law while gentiles didn't...where does the old covenant say that the law should have exceptions or not be followed?

Yes... again... they were talking about Gentiles and... in during the Mosaic covenant:

Jeremiah 31:31
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a newcovenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

So you have to ask yourself some questions:

1. If you make a new Last Will and Testament, what happens to the older one?
  2. When you amend a Older will and Testament, is it because your have more benefits and you want to upgrade the older because there are more promises
  3. Did the death of Jesus Christ really do anything?
  4. Was the Abrahamic Covenant better that the Mosaic Covenant?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes... again... they were talking about Gentiles and... in during the Mosaic covenant:

Jeremiah 31:31
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a newcovenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

So you have to ask yourself some questions:

1. If you make a new Last Will and Testament, what happens to the older one?
  2. When you amend a Older will and Testament, is it because your have more benefits and you want to upgrade the older because there are more promises
  3. Did the death of Jesus Christ really do anything?
  4. Was the Abrahamic Covenant better that the Mosaic Covenant?
But does making a new covenant mean that what was formerly forbidden become permitted?

I hear Christians attack other Christians and call them Pagan based on quotes from the old Covenant. Who determines what parts of the old Covenant still needs to be followed?

lostwanderingsoul

It was not the Bible that made a mess of Christianity. It was man made churches that call themselves Christian that interpret the Bible in their own ways and call their twisted beliefs Christian.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It was not the Bible that made a mess of Christianity. It was man made churches that call themselves Christian that interpret the Bible in their own ways and call their twisted beliefs Christian.
A lot of Christians interpret scripture as they please, and scripture with all it's contradictions leads them to despise each other

lostwanderingsoul

True Christians do not despise anyone. These are the people who call themselves "christian" but are not following the true teachings of Christ. Satan is hard at work spreading his false beliefs and making people think they are following Christ.

whirlingmerc

Christians became a lot more divided and splintered into thousands of denominations after the printing press when everyone could have their own personal copy of the Bible.

The Bible has verses that say the opposite of what other verses say, leading people to opposite beliefs.

There has to be an authority outside of scripture to settle those disputes.

I was in a psych ward with a guy that ripped his eyes out because scripture told him to.

Scripture can be dangerous.

The early Church had councils to settle such disputes.

The first Christians were not Bible Christians.

The Bible is a confusing book that was never meant to be the sole rule of sacred Theology. Nothing in the Bible says to test everything to see if it lines up with scripture. The opposite is actually proven true (Acts 15).

If the Church councils aren't guided by the holy Spirit, I see there is a hopeless division that will never be healed. Certainly knowing scripture does not solve the problem.

Jesus and apostles all believed the scriptures, the Old Testament being the Bible Jesus read.
Peter referred to Paul's writings as scripture as well.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 [Full Chapter]
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

I'm seeing allot of assertions Could you be a little more? a tad?

Perhaps people need to know the scriptures better? Often its a lack of knowledge and a superficial familiarity that leads to problems. I see one unified scripture with some apparent but no real contradictions, all explainable.

Psalms book 5: Songs for coming home

Tmac

You believe I'm possessed by demons? :p

Possessed, of course not, confused, yes nor do I believe that Legion was possessed. The story gives power only to Jesus, I don't have much use for a guy that goes around casting out so called demons but I would be interested in someone who could teach me to cast out my own so called demons, if I am troubled by them.

InChrist

Free4ever
Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets;

As I said, they went against God's word....where did Jesus say the Mosaic law didn't have to be followed?

For your information:

"It is especially important to note how the word is used in Matthew 5:17. In this context, “abolish” is set in opposition to “fulfill.” Christ came “...not to abolish, but to fulfill.” Jesus did not come to this earth for the purpose of acting as an opponent of the law. His goal was not to prevent its fulfillment. Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition. He fulfilled the law’s prophetic utterances regarding Himself (Luke 24:44). Christ fulfilled the demands of the Mosaic law, which called for perfect obedience under threat of a “curse” (see Galatians 3:10, 13). In this sense, the law’s divine design will ever have an abiding effect. It will always accomplish the purpose for which it was given.

If, however, the law of Moses bears the same relationship to men today, in terms of its binding status, then it was not fulfilled, and Jesus failed at what He came to do. On the other hand, if the Lord did accomplish His goal, then the law was fulfilled, and it is not a binding legal institution today. Further, if the law of Moses was not fulfilled by Christ—and thus remains as a binding legal system for today—then it is not just partially binding. Rather, it is a totally compelling system. Jesus plainly said that not one “jot or tittle” (representative of the smallest markings of the Hebrew script) would pass away until all was fulfilled. Consequently, nothing of the law was to fail until it had completely accomplished its purpose. Jesus fulfilled the law. Jesus fulfilled all of the law. We cannot say that Jesus fulfilled the sacrificial system, but did not fulfill the other aspects of the law. Jesus either fulfilled all of the law, or none of it. What Jesus' death means for the sacrificial system, it also means for the other aspects of the law."
What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?

dfnj

Christians became a lot more divided and splintered into thousands of denominations after the printing press when everyone could have their own personal copy of the Bible.

People idolize the words of the Bible and are offended by any criticism of scripture. I think the Bible is clearly the uninspired word of men with all the historical bigotry and prejudice of the time it was written. If you google "worse passages of the bible" there are verses which are evil by today's standards. Religion, morality, spirituality are important but the Bible has to read as metaphor not to be taken out of the historical context it which it was written. The essential message morality is important is still valid. The Bible is just not for me. I find it practically impossible to read with too much weird superstitious stuff. Plus I find the Bible has too much war, hate, judging people, and authoritarianism.

My faith is in a more egalitarian God of unconditional love more than any other quality. But if hate is what floats your boat keep throwing Jesus in the faces of non-believers. If idol worshiping the words of the Bible floats your boat keep idol worshiping!

dfnj

For your information:

"It is especially important to note how the word is used in Matthew 5:17. In this context, “abolish” is set in opposition to “fulfill.” Christ came “...not to abolish, but to fulfill.” Jesus did not come to this earth for the purpose of acting as an opponent of the law. His goal was not to prevent its fulfillment. Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition.

It's funny how people who are obsessed with obeying law are the ones who break the laws the most. It's funny how the people obsessed with morality turn out to be the most immoral.

You only criticize and hate in other people what you do not like about your own character.

kjw47

The Catholic Church decided which books would be in your new testament Canon at the councils of Rome, Carthage, and hippo.... If the Catholic church is so evil, why do you trust that you have the correct Canon of scripture?

God made sure his word lived. Even if it was through the wicked--The Pharisees and saducees, etc were Gods chosen scholars in Jesus day--They were apostocised, satan owned them. Yet Jesus attended the synagogues and temples for 30 years. He came to give them the opportunity to change the bad teachings and practices they had in place. They outright refused--God cut them off-Matthew 23:37-39.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
God made sure his word lived. Even if it was through the wicked--The Pharisees and saducees, etc were Gods chosen scholars in Jesus day--They were apostocised, satan owned them. Yet Jesus attended the synagogues and temples for 30 years. He came to give them the opportunity to change the bad teachings and practices they had in place. They outright refused--God cut them off-Matthew 23:37-39.
Where does God's word say that God would guide church leaders to give you the correct Canon of Scripture?....Church leaders and kings of Israel were anointed and yet made all kinds of mistakes.

InChrist

Free4ever
It's funny how people who are obsessed with obeying law are the ones who break the laws the most. It's funny how the people obsessed with morality turn out to be the most immoral.

You only criticize and hate in other people what you do not like about your own character.
What are you talking about? Are you even responding to what you are reading or just posting random thoughts?

dfnj

What are you talking about? Are you even responding to what you are reading or just posting random thoughts?

RE: ". Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition."

In my not so humble opinion to much of Christianity is about "obeying" authority. I guess I kind of get sick of the obsession with "righteousness" when people just sin everywhere they go. Sorry, not really directed at you, just an axe I grind.

InChrist

Free4ever
RE: ". Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition."

In my not so humble opinion to much of Christianity is about "obeying" authority. I guess I kind of get sick of the obsession with "righteousness" when people just sin everywhere they go. Sorry, not really directed at you, just an axe I grind.
Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification and I agree with you entirely. The most wicked, I think, really are the so-called Christians who come across as the most holy and righteous while they practice some of the most harmful and hurtful behaviors, especially behind closed doors. Jesus called these kind of people hypocrites or worse. But the article was simply highlighting that Jesus revered, loved, obeyed the law and fulfilled it. The point being that those who trust in Him are free from the law.

dfnj

True Christians do not despise anyone. These are the people who call themselves "christian" but are not following the true teachings of Christ. Satan is hard at work spreading his false beliefs and making people think they are following Christ.

You don't think dubbing someone as Satan or in league with Satan because they do not agree with your interpretation of scripture as somewhat hateful?

In my of thinking, Christians should treat atheists as the most sacred object on Earth precisely because their own Christian faith is so strong. And every other type of theist as well.

My faith is in a God of unconditional love. No conditions. Maybe I'm wrong and I will end up in eternal damnation. But my faith is stronger than than any fears I have or anything anyone else has to say so I will continue to have faith in my God of unconditional love above every other type of God.