• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beer Thread

Stellify

StarChild
Coke will kill you quicker than alcohol straight!

Give me a minute or two and I'll tell you my story or I'll PM you about it!

Absinthe is good! Good stuff, good stuff.

Coke as in the soda?...Or I guess northerners call it "pop"...*shudder*
Not coke as in the drug lol :p
..or were you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell over text...

K! Feel free to PM if you don't wanna post it :D

Do you drink the real absinthe, or the faux-absinthe stuff they sell around here?

pwsoldier

unapologetic freethinker
I must say, I do prefer a good ENGLISH CIDER to beer! Strongbow, Woodpecker, etc...

As for beer in Texas: Shiner Bock is money!

I have nothing against Shiner, but I can honestly say that it's my least favorite of Texas' microbreweries. I sometimes get the impression that they're a microbrewery trying to be a mainstream brewery, or perhaps the other way around. Their beers are decent, but they pale in comparison to the likes of Live Oak, Real Ale, and Saint Arnold.

Stellify

StarChild
I saw Real Ale at the store the other day...thought about buying it because the name made me chuckle.
Next time maybe I actually will :D

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
How true, how true! (If only more places in the USA sold it.... can't even get Shiner Bock here....)

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I haven't had anything to drink in awhile, all I have around right now is a 5L mini-keg of Heineken. Not my favorite but I'll drink it.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I saw Real Ale at the store the other day...thought about buying it because the name made me chuckle.
Next time maybe I actually will :D
Real Ale is definitely worth a taste test.

PWS - Shiners definitely beats non-micro brews, but I agree with regards to Real Ale & St. Arnolds. I'm going to have to look for Live Oak. Where are they brewing?

Drink Local!

Stellify - it looks like maybe you are here in Houston (from a different thread); if so, take a trip to Spec's main Warehouse facility downtown - it's worth the drive. Unsurpassed selection.

Last edited:

pwsoldier

unapologetic freethinker
PWS - Shiners definitely beats non-micro brews, but I agree with regards to Real Ale & St. Arnolds. I'm going to have to look for Live Oak. Where are they brewing?

Live Oak brews in Austin, but they don't distribute for commercial retail. There's only two places in San Antonio where you can get their beers on tap. If I were you, I'd try the Flying Saucer. I just checked their website and it says that they have the Amber and the Hefe on tap at the Houston location. You have GOT to try that Live Oak hefe!!! I can honestly say that it's better than most German varieties I've tried. The SA Saucer recently got Primus on tap, and that one's amazing as well. One our local brewpubs has the Live Oak IPA on tap, and I was very impressed by it. Their pilsner is excellent, but out of season. I don't think the Live Oak brewery is capable of making bad beer, or even mediocre beer for that matter. You have to try it! Keep an eye on the Houston Saucer so you can catch the seasonal rotations.

Stellify

StarChild
Stellify - it looks like maybe you are here in Houston (from a different thread); if so, take a trip to Spec's main Warehouse facility downtown - it's worth the drive. Unsurpassed selection.

Alas, I'm in Dallas. But I do visit Houston now and then to see family :D

Live Oak brews in Austin, but they don't distribute for commercial retail. There's only two places in San Antonio where you can get their beers on tap. If I were you, I'd try the Flying Saucer. I just checked their website and it says that they have the Amber and the Hefe on tap at the Houston location. You have GOT to try that Live Oak hefe!!! I can honestly say that it's better than most German varieties I've tried. The SA Saucer recently got Primus on tap, and that one's amazing as well. One our local brewpubs has the Live Oak IPA on tap, and I was very impressed by it. Their pilsner is excellent, but out of season. I don't think the Live Oak brewery is capable of making bad beer, or even mediocre beer for that matter. You have to try it! Keep an eye on the Houston Saucer so you can catch the seasonal rotations.

I've never been to the Flying Saucer here in Dallas, but I've heard good things. I'll have to try them out :D

Edit: Post #111!!! Woot :p

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I just checked the Ginger Man's website, and they carry the Live Oak Hefe on tap. Next time I'm in there, it's #1 on the list.

Last edited:

Stellify

StarChild
I just checked the Ginger Man's website, and they carry the Live Oak Hefe on tap. Next time I'm in there, it's #1 on the list.

Do you like the Ginger Man? We have one here, and I've been wanting to go.
Their site says they have Live Oak here, as well :D

Gah...I've gotta find more beer-buddies in town...No one to go with :(

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Yup, the Ginger Man is on the "must-visit" list for when friends come to town.

I had one friend almost have a breakdown through indecision and inability to try everything offered in one visit.

Stellify

StarChild
I saw their selection online, and it blew my mind! I don't blame your friend :p
Hahaha That's great. I'll definitely have to try it soon, then :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My favorite beer is Heineken. I want to try the Heineken dark lager, but have only seen it in a town that is about a 2 hour drive. I'm also kinda curious as to how a lager I saw called "Arrogant *******" tastes. I also like Michelob Ultra Amber. A few of the Sam Adams are also rather tasty.
I usually drink Coors though, as it my favorite of the cheaper beers. Not so cheap it is nasty, but cheap enough to fill my fridge with.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
My favorite beer is Heineken. I want to try the Heineken dark lager, but have only seen it in a town that is about a 2 hour drive. I'm also kinda curious as to how a lager I saw called "Arrogant *******" tastes. I also like Michelob Ultra Amber. A few of the Sam Adams are also rather tasty.
I usually drink Coors though, as it my favorite of the cheaper beers. Not so cheap it is nasty, but cheap enough to fill my fridge with.
Shadow -

Arrogant Bahrstahd is great stuff. Has a nice kick too. Heinies are OK, but I'll take an ale over a Heinie any day (dark or light). Heinie dark is preferable to Heinie light, though.

Sam Adams is good in general - I'm not so partial to their beers as opposed to their ales and the like; but then that's true of any brewer.

Michelob I will drink if there's not much else available (I worked at Anheuser-Busch here in Houston for almost 4 years). Coors I drink only when it's the only choice I have (other than the "bigger" American light beers).

I definitely come down on the quality over quantity side - I would rather drink one good ale than three or six cheap beers.

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer" (not sure who originally said this, but it's one of my philosophies).

Last edited:

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
The one time I had Arrogant Bahrstahd I really enjoyed it, I can seem to find it here in Nebraska though. Just one more reason I want out of this state. Though maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
The one time I had Arrogant Bahrstahd I really enjoyed it, I can seem to find it here in Nebraska though. Just one more reason I want out of this state. Though maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

I used to have problems finding good beers/ciders. I have found that YUPPY FOOD STORES have a great selection! It is usually the Healthy Store that has the good booze. Just a thought for you to check out. WIld Oats and Huckleberry's are what those stores are up here.