• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The battle of evolution vs creationism

Slapstick

Matthew 5:48
"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
Heavenly father isn’t god. It is more or less what you seek or plan to achieve with your life.

The trinity for instance is broken down into the son, the father, and the Holy Spirit. You can’t have one without the other. Also the bible progresses from start to finish and you would have to read the entire thing to understand.

outhouse

Atheistically
No it doesn't.

Sure it does.

Creation mythology, in any form, makes you cherry pick and then personally interpret scripture to force fit it into biology.

It doesn't fit in at all without perversion of text.

On another note, your link talked about Noah. To date, Noah ahs no Historicity outside mythology.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sure it does.

Ancient men who wrote the books, had zero understanding of biology.

Any attempt to force fit it into biology goes against the mythology as written.

You do know that the early Christians, including Church Fathers like St. Augustine, didn't interpret Genesis in a literal fashion, right? Do you know better on how to interpret the Bible than they did? Biblical literalism is a comparatively modern phenomenon and a reaction against modernism.

Have a look: http://whosoeverdesires.wordpress.com/2009/08/29/original-sin-and-evolution-how-to-read-genesis-1-3/

Last edited:

Slapstick

Sure it does.

Creation mythology, in any form, makes you cherry pick and then personally interpret scripture to force fit it into biology.

It doesn't fit in at all without perversion of text.
False. You know little to nothing about the bible.
On another note, your link talked about Noah. To date, Noah ahs no Historicity outside mythology.
So what? Would you like to claim that god's creation is perfect or god is perfect?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
What do you mean specifically about "knowledge"? Do you mean knowledge of what it says or "wisdom" to know what you want it to "mean"? That is an important distinction you need to make.

But on the topic at hand there is a big disparity between what the bible says happened and what actually happened. You can bend and stretch it to a methaphor all you want but it doesn't actually make it a prediction or even true. It simply means that you can turn a "story" into a metaphor and find ways to bend the meaning to fit later found knowledge.
So what? Would you like to claim that god's creation is perfect or god is perfect?

I know its not directed at me but I wouldn't claim anything in existence is "perfect". Perfect is a meaningless word to begin with. One can only have "perfection" with pre-created criteria that it must pass. For example a fish could be considered "Perfect" at what it does (not really but go with it for a second) but it would be terrible at jogging.

So what criteria are you holding god to when someone claims perfection of god?

EDIT: As a challenge what would an imperfect god be like?

Slapstick

What do you mean specifically about "knowledge"? Do you mean knowledge of what it says or "wisdom" to know what you want it to "mean"? That is an important distinction you need to make.
But on the topic at hand there is a big disparity between what the bible says happened and what actually happened. You can bend and stretch it to a methaphor all you want but it doesn't actually make it a prediction or even true. It simply means that you can turn a "story" into a metaphor and find ways to bend the meaning to fit later found knowledge.
You need to understand a subject before you try debating it without spewing false dogma.
I know its not directed at me but I wouldn't claim anything in existence is "perfect". Perfect is a meaningless word to begin with. One can only have "perfection" with pre-created criteria that it must pass. For example a fish could be considered "Perfect" at what it does (not really but go with it for a second) but it would be terrible at jogging.

So what criteria are you holding god to when someone claims perfection of god?

EDIT: As a challenge what would an imperfect god be like?
If god is perfect, then god would create something that is imperfect.

Nothing can be considered perfect as far as we understand it, in regards to science or biology. Perfection is something we strive for, but are not, for the most part capable of achieving. That doesn't mean anyone or anything isn't capable of achieving perfection.

outhouse

Atheistically
You do know that the early Christians, including Church Fathers like St. Augustine, didn't interpret Genesis in a literal fashion, right? Do you know better on how to interpret the Bible than they did? Biblical literalism is a comparatively modern phenomenon and a reaction against modernism.

Have a look: Evolution and Original Sin: How to Read Genesis 1-3 | Whosoever Desires

I understand the different views. I already told you I understand YEC are a minority.

But polls show those who discount evolution altogether due to religious beliefs is pitiful.

outhouse

Atheistically

I would challenge you to any sort of bible knowledge, any day or time.

Im guessing you don't know the first thing about the different cultures that collected and compiled the early books.

Here's a few questions

#1 Did Israelites evolve from Canaanites?
#2 Did Israelites worship the Canaanite gods?
#3 Does Moses, Noah, Abraham, have any historicity at all?

So what? Would you like to claim that god's creation is perfect or god is perfect

I don't think your god exist. Scientifically he doesn't exist.

Creation so far is mythology outlawed from our children in most public schools, while evolution is taught WORLD WIDE as higher education.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I understand the different views. I already told you I understand YEC are a minority.

But polls show those who discount evolution altogether due to religious beliefs is pitiful.

Those people aren't Catholics, though. Most Catholics in America, and in the West in general, accept evolutionary theory. So you can't blame us for that. That's mostly a Protestant problem.

Slapstick

I would challenge you to any sort of bible knowledge, any day or time.

Im guessing you don't know the first thing about the different cultures that collected and compiled the early books.

Here's a few questions

#1 Did Israelites evolve from Canaanites?
#2 Did Israelites worship the Canaanite gods?
#3 Does Moses, Noah, Abraham, have any historicity at all?
I could care less about Israelites. Other civilizations existed long before they did.

I don't think your god exist. Scientifically he doesn't exist.

Creation so far is mythology outlawed from our children in most public schools, while evolution is taught WORLD WIDE as higher education.
You missed the point of our debate a long time ago and no longer see it as being no worth discussing.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Those people aren't Catholics, though. Most Catholics in America, and in the West in general, accept evolutionary theory. So you can't blame us for that. That's mostly a Protestant problem.

It is a problem within the whole USA.

I don't care who is a fault.

Im not singling out any other group other then creationist in general.

outhouse

Atheistically
You missed the point of our debate a long time ago and no longer see it as being no worth discussing.

The only point here is that certain theist create a debate about the credibility of evolution, when there really is no debate.

End of story.

Anyone trying to inject mythology into science, is doing so with nothing more then wishful thinking.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
You need to understand a subject before you try debating it without spewing false dogma.
I agree. However you have dodged my question. Do you mean understanding what the bible says or what you think it means?
If god is perfect, then god would create something that is imperfect.
Why? Even in the bible does it not say that good tree begat good fruit? Why would something perfect begat something imperfect? I more than agree that we are imperfect but I don't understand your logic when saying "god is perfect ergo his creation is imperfect".
Nothing can be considered perfect as far as we understand it, in regards to science or biology. Perfection is something we strive for, but are not, for the most part capable of achieving. That doesn't mean anyone or anything isn't capable of achieving perfection.

Sure we can. If we decide that I need a ruler and it needs to be exactly 12 inches. Then if I get it to exactly 12 inches it is "perfect" for what I need based on prior criteria. However without thise previous criteria the world perfection is simply a pretty world said to invoke connotations and emotions rather than actual meaning.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It is a problem within the whole USA.

I don't care who is a fault.

Im not singling out any other group other then creationist in general.

It's a product of crappy science education and the power of fundamentalist Christians as a socio-political force. America being what it is, we have a much higher amount of fundamentalist Protestants than any other Western nation. In states where the population of Catholics is higher, they tend to be more progressive (and also tend to be the ones legalizing gay marriage, interestingly).