• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baha’i attitude towards tests and suffering

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I will word it like this, "So you think that nonbelievers cannot have peace of mind and tranquillity of soul?

Yes, as any Peace of mind or tranquillity of soul based only in this world would be a temporary peace of mind and traquility of soul, easily broken and death takes it away.

Many only see this life as all there is and many do not believe they have a soul.
Yes, life in this world is temporary because it is not permanent, but none of us knows what our own end will be, and just because someone did not believe in God or that they had a soul that does not mean they cannot learn that later. Did not Baha'u'llah say that some fruit only ripens when it falls from the tree?

"This cycle is the cycle of favor and not of justice. Therefore, those whose deeds are clean and pure, even though they are not believers, will not be deprived of the divine mercy; but perfection is in faith and deeds. Undoubtedly, a person, who is not a believer, but whose deeds and morals are good, is far better than one who claims his belief in words but, who, in actions, is a follower of satan. The Blessed Beauty says, 'My humiliation is not in my imprisonment, which, by my life, is an exaltation to me; nay rather, it is in the deeds of my friends, who attribute themselves to us and commit that which causes my heart and pen to weep!'"

(Attributed to 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Star of the West, vol. 9, issue 3, p. 29)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You have a right to be happy, but did it ever occur to you how unhappy people feel when they are around someone who is always happy? I do not know what the solution is, we all have to find our own solutions. I do not have that problem with my husband because we are about equal on the happiness scale. From what you have said, he has the same level of Faith in God and Baha'u'llah as you do, complete Faith, but he is not always happy because he has other problems.

I see that is life Susan, as even Abdul'baha was angry and sad at times. I see he shows the balance of what it is to be Happy, happy and full of joy. It was Faith and servive that gave Abdul'baha his happy and I can only read of how He lived and try to be the same. We will have times where we will struggle to find our true happy.

For me the happiness comes from knowing that this life is temporary, that I change the world by changing myself. My greatest unhappiness, is my own self in the choices I made along the way.

God is more of a friend to us, than we are to our own selves.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, life in this world is temporary because it is not permanent, but none of us knows what our own end will be, and just because someone did not believe in God or that they had a soul that does not mean they cannot learn that later. Did not Baha'u'llah say that some fruit only ripens when it falls from the tree?

"This cycle is the cycle of favor and not of justice. Therefore, those whose deeds are clean and pure, even though they are not believers, will not be deprived of the divine mercy; but perfection is in faith and deeds. Undoubtedly, a person, who is not a believer, but whose deeds and morals are good, is far better than one who claims his belief in words but, who, in actions, is a follower of satan. The Blessed Beauty says, 'My humiliation is not in my imprisonment, which, by my life, is an exaltation to me; nay rather, it is in the deeds of my friends, who attribute themselves to us and commit that which causes my heart and pen to weep!'"

(Attributed to 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Star of the West, vol. 9, issue 3, p. 29)

It is also offered by Baha'u'llah that it is only in this life where we get the choice to pursue that divine bounty, in the world's to come it is by God's mercy.

I am willing to bet you have that quote. :)

But of course no betting. :D

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I do not see it that way Susan.

No matter what we face, in our control and out of our control, we do have the choice of how we see and react to those events.
I do not believe that. We do not have any control over how we perceive things, nor do we have any control over our unconscious minds or how we feel. We have some control of how we react.
An example is America and its current racial issues. Look how many react to the injustice with violence and hate.

We can not control if these events visit our door, but we can control our thoughts and response if they do. We can control our thoughts and response in commenting on these injustices.
I do not believe we can control our thoughts but sometimes we can control our reactions to those thoughts.

With new information our thoughts can change, and that was one reason God sent Baha'u'llah to Educate mankind.

“Consider, for instance, the revelation of the light of the Name of God, the Educator. Behold, how in all things the evidences of such a revelation are manifest, how the betterment of all beings dependeth upon it. This education is of two kinds. The one is universal. Its influence pervadeth all things and sustaineth them. It is for this reason that God hath assumed the title, “Lord of all worlds.” The other is confined to them that have come under the shadow of this Name, and sought the shelter of this most mighty Revelation. They, however, that have failed to seek this shelter, have deprived themselves of this privilege, and are powerless to benefit from the spiritual sustenance that hath been sent down through the heavenly grace of this Most Great Name. How great the gulf fixed between the one and the other! If the veil were lifted, and the full glory of the station of those that have turned wholly towards God, and have, in their love for Him, renounced the world, were made manifest, the entire creation would be dumbfounded. The true believer in the Unity of God will, as it hath already been explained, recognize, in the believer and the unbeliever, the evidences of the revelation of both of these Names. Were this revelation to be withdrawn, all would perish.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 189-190

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is also offered by Baha'u'llah that it is only in this life where we get the choice to pursue that divine bounty, in the world's to come it is by God's mercy.

I am willing to bet you have that quote. :)
I would have to look for that quote, but I have quote from the Guardian that will suffice till I find it. :)

"To 'get to heaven' as you say is dependent on two things--faith in the Manifestation of God in His Day, in other words in this age in Bahá'u'lláh; and good deeds, in other words living to the best of our ability a noble life and doing unto others as we would be done by. But we must always remember that our existence and everything we have or ever will have is dependent upon the mercy of God and His bounty, and therefore He can accept into His heaven, which is really nearness to Him, even the lowliest if He pleases. We always have the hope of receiving His mercy if we reach out for it."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, January 12, 1957)

Lights of Guidance (second part): A Bahá'í Reference File

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I'm glad to read that you came through.
Could I ask you a question?
Those 6 suicide attempts......... how did you try to kill yourself?
I ask because that is the first question that Samaritans used to ask, maybe they still do.

hi old badger. I went on a drinking rampage asking why tyere was no love in the world. I visited homeless people and asked why is homelessness allowed to exist. Also I visited many different Christian denominations and asked why they didn’t join together but considered each other false. Why don’t we just all accept each other as equal human beings I asked. I said I didn’t want to live anymore in a world where there is no love between nations, races and religions. Now I’m trying to create that world and I see a glorious hope for humanity’s future. But it had to be the real deal, the real thing or I was prepared to die. It had to love all humanity or it meant nothing. You can imagine my overwhelming joy when to my surprise I found such a thing existed that taught unconditional acceptance of all humanity as equals, none being damned or cursed, none born sinners but all accepted for who they are.

I knifed myself was one. Overdosed a couple of times. Another time I took 50 sleeping tablets, had double vision for a week. The other times I can’t remember as police and ambulance were called and I ended up in 2 different psychiatric hospitals with extended stays.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You think you were a coward and a weak soul because of what Abdu’l-Baha said, but from my perspective you were just a man feeling so hopeless you became suicidal. This is what the Writings of Abdu’l-Baha do to people, and what value does that have to imply that some people are cowards and weak souls? How does that help people who are already suffering, or does it even matter how people feel?

The thing is that I never tried to run away from my tests. As soon as I realized I had a problem, I faced that problem head on and figured out what to do about that problem all by myself. I was married during most of those years but my husband was not much help because he did not know how to help and he had his own emotional problems. But I do not expect everyone to be able to do what I did because that would be arrogant. I have compassion for others who are for whatever reasons not as strong and persistent as I was.

The turning point for me was about six years ago when I finally turned to God for help, and it was Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh and compassionate human beings I had found to talk to on forums that pulled me out from under the bus, not any counselors or mental health professionals, who hardly ever helped me at all.

It is true that as Abdu’l-Baha said, tests and difficulties make people stronger, IF they can weather the storm, but what about people who cannot weather the storm? I refuse to think of these people as cowards and weak souls because I consider that cruel and insensitive.

Sadly, this is what religion does to people; it makes them into robots living off a script, a script they are afraid to put down.

Guess what? The Baha’i Faith does not have a corner on the market for Truth. These same spiritual Truths can be found in all the scriptures of past religions.

Part I.—From the Arabic

Preamble

HE IS THE GLORY OF GLORIES

This is that which hath descended from the realm of glory, uttered by the tongue of power and might, and revealed unto the Prophets of old. We have taken the inner essence thereof and clothed it in the garment of brevity, as a token of grace unto the righteous, that they may stand faithful unto the Covenant of God, may fulfill in their lives His trust, and in the realm of spirit obtain the gem of Divine virtue.

The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 3

Our situations are different of course but isn’t there something in the Writings saying we will not be tested beyond our capacity?

“He will never deal unjustly with any one, neither will He task a soul beyond its power. He, verily, is the Compassionate, the All-Merciful.”

Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh
Bahá’u’lláh

God tasks no soul beyond its capacity.(Quran 2:286)

God doesn’t force us to accept His Counsels. He humbly offers His Manifestation to us, allows us to persecute, torture, imprison, exile and even crucify Them but it’s our choice if we want to follow Their guidance or not. Why do you think He allowed us to have the world wars and so much genocide not to mention poverty and corruption? Because it’s our choice to choose our own path or His. All people are free to choose any path they wish.

I believe in these teachings so I willingly, voluntarily, follow them not parrot fashion but because I believe that the Source this guidance comes from is not from ordinary fallible men, but from God.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
That was YOUR individual experience with certain Baha’is. I have had been suicidal many more than six times but I never had such experiences with Baha’is, so logically speaking, that does not prove anything about "the Baha’is."

It could just as easily been Christians or atheists who came to your aid. In fact, it has been atheists who have some to MY aid in this forum, as well as a nonreligious believer and a Jewish woman. No Baha'i has ever shown any PERSONAL interest in me. All Baha’is care about is saving humanity, but they cannot even be compassionate towards each other... But why would they be compassionate given what Abdu'l-Baha said about tests and how we are cowards and weak souls if we cannot stand up to the pressure, all the while thanking God for their tests. Who gave him the right to judge souls?

The thing is, I dug my way out of a hole I had been in for 12 years, a hold so deep you could not even imagine it, and I did it without the help of any Baha'is. My dear husband who is also a Baha’i has also had emotional problems but when he reached out to the LSA for help, they told, him to seek help from a counselor, but he had already done that and it never helped. They said some other insensitive things but I care not to repeat them on a public forum.

I am not saying that all Baha’is are insensitive because that would be unfair and illogical, given I do not know all the Baha’is, only those who I have had personal experience with.

In truth, what eventually brought me out of darkness so to speak and into the light was the Words of Baha’u’llah and the Master. The Baha’is were catalysts in that process, but the Water of Life which rejuvenated and resuscitated my soul and spirit was the Word of God itself.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That is one reason I posted this thread, so I would not feel alone in my struggles. I have my husband I can talk to any time and he will listen, but he does not understand how I feel about certain things, because he related to them very differently.

I hope all is well with you and I hope you are enjoying the last few days (or weeks) of summer in the great Northwest, not too hot and not too cold. :) With this crisis I have been going through I have not been able to get outside to walk or ride my bike as I normally do but at least I can view the animals and birds on my deck.

I wish you all the very best.

Peace.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
hi old badger. I went on a drinking rampage asking why tyere was no love in the world. I visited homeless people and asked why is homelessness allowed to exist. Also I visited many different Christian denominations and asked why they didn’t join together but considered each other false. Why don’t we just all accept each other as equal human beings I asked. I said I didn’t want to live anymore in a world where there is no love between nations, races and religions. Now I’m trying to create that world and I see a glorious hope for humanity’s future. But it had to be the real deal, the real thing or I was prepared to die. It had to love all humanity or it meant nothing. You can imagine my overwhelming joy when to my surprise I found such a thing existed that taught unconditional acceptance of all humanity as equals, none being damned or cursed, none born sinners but all accepted for who they are.

I knifed myself was one. Overdosed a couple of times. Another time I took 50 sleeping tablets, had double vision for a week. The other times I can’t remember as police and ambulance were called and I ended up in 2 different psychiatric hospitals with extended stays.
Wow! What a bad time you had.
I'm glad to see that you are now safe, established and strong.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Our situations are different of course but isn’t there something in the Writings saying we will not be tested beyond our capacity?

“He will never deal unjustly with any one, neither will He task a soul beyond its power. He, verily, is the Compassionate, the All-Merciful.”

Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh
Bahá’u’lláh

God tasks no soul beyond its capacity.(Quran 2:286)
I have no problem with those verses except that they do not comport with reality, because the mere fact that people commit suicide proves that they were tested beyond their capacity. I think that means we have to dig deeper for the real meaning of those verses instead of just assuming they mean what we believe they mean, or what we want them to mean.

“O thou seeker of the Kingdom! Thy letter was received. Thou hast written of the severe calamity that hath befallen thee—the death of thy respected husband. That honourable man hath been so subjected to the stress and strain of this world that his greatest wish was for deliverance from it. Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering. It is ignorance that binds man to it, for no comfort can be secured by any soul in this world, from monarch down to the most humble commoner. If once this life should offer a man a sweet cup, a hundred bitter ones will follow; such is the condition of this world. The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions. Thus it is seen that some, under extreme pressure of anguish, have committed suicide.

As to thy husband, rest assured. He will be immersed in the ocean of pardon and forgiveness and will become the recipient of bounty and favour. Strive thine utmost to give his child a Bahá’í training so that when he attaineth maturity he may be merciful, illumined and heavenly.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 200

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
In truth, what eventually brought me out of darkness so to speak and into the light was the Words of Baha’u’llah and the Master. The Baha’is were catalysts in that process, but the Water of Life which rejuvenated and resuscitated my soul and spirit was the Word of God itself.
In truth, what eventually brought me out of darkness so to speak and into the light was the Words of Baha’u’llah.
That happened a little over six years ago, in June 2014. Below is an excerpt from my story as I told it to a Muslim on this forum who asked to hear my story.

"My story is no doubt a lot different from yours. I never really has any premonitions or spiritual experiences per se, except for the time when I first read Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh with serious intent and absolute desperation. That happened right after I had a life crisis about six years ago and I was at the brink of suicide. I had been at that brink many times before but this time was different because I had come back my religion after a long hiatus about a year and a half before that, so I was at a different place in my life. Before that when I was suicidal I had no hope... Anyhow, what happened was that I picked up that book called Gleanings and started to read it on the bus ride to work and it just hit me like a ton of bricks who God was and who Baha'u'llah was, and I started crying and could not stop. That was the real beginning of my spiritual journey.

Mind you, I had been a Baha'i for about 43 years at that time but I was not engaged and I knew nothing about God because that is not why I joined the religion; I joined because I am an idealist so I was drawn to the teachings and the primary message of Baha'u'llah, the unity of mankind and world peace."

If you want to read my whole story you can read it here:
Proof of Islam?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I have no problem with those verses except that they do not comport with reality, because the mere fact that people commit suicide proves that they were tested beyond their capacity. I think that means we have to dig deeper for the real meaning of those verses instead of just assuming they mean what we believe they mean, or what we want them to mean.

“O thou seeker of the Kingdom! Thy letter was received. Thou hast written of the severe calamity that hath befallen thee—the death of thy respected husband. That honourable man hath been so subjected to the stress and strain of this world that his greatest wish was for deliverance from it. Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering. It is ignorance that binds man to it, for no comfort can be secured by any soul in this world, from monarch down to the most humble commoner. If once this life should offer a man a sweet cup, a hundred bitter ones will follow; such is the condition of this world. The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions. Thus it is seen that some, under extreme pressure of anguish, have committed suicide.

As to thy husband, rest assured. He will be immersed in the ocean of pardon and forgiveness and will become the recipient of bounty and favour. Strive thine utmost to give his child a Bahá’í training so that when he attaineth maturity he may be merciful, illumined and heavenly.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 200

To me those Words say that it is our attachment to the world which is the cause of these griefs and sorrows and that not being too attached would not have had such grave consequences. I always believe that, unless mentally insane, we are capable of acting responsibly and the only question then is if we come to our senses before or after we commit suicide, but I believe it is within our own power to choose to end our life or not. The issue of ‘losing control ‘ is if we allow it to get out of control. He went further on to say it is our own ignorance which binds us to become attached thus causing stress and inconsolable grief. I don’t see anywhere in that passage where He absolves man of all responsibilities for his condition.

On the contrary, although He is most compassionate and understanding, He blames our attachment to this world, caused by our own ignorance, of causing the sorrow.

So then through divine education and the leading of a spiritual life, these things will disappear in time, I believe, as man can only be truly happy according to Abdul-Baha, when he lives a spiritual life.

Man is, in reality, a spiritual being, and only when he lives in the spirit is he truly happy. 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Paris Talks,

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To me those Words say that it is our attachment to the world which is the cause of these griefs and sorrows and that not being too attached would not have had such grave consequences.
How do you know that it was attachment to this world that caused his grief and sorrows and led to his suicide?

The quote says “That honourable man hath been so subjected to the stress and strain of this world that his greatest wish was for deliverance from it. Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering.”

The quote does not say anything about this man's attachment to this world.
I always believe that, unless mentally insane, we are capable of acting responsibly and the only question then is if we come to our senses before or after we commit suicide, but I believe it is within our own power to choose to end our life or not. The issue of ‘losing control ‘ is if we allow it to get out of control.
I think that is judgmental and lacking in compassion. You act as if people have complete control over their emotions and behavior, but they don’t. Free will is circumscribed by many factors. Maybe you think that just because you woke up before it was too late and did not commit suicide, everyone can do likewise.
He went further on to say it is our own ignorance which binds us to become attached thus causing stress and inconsolable grief.
No, Abdu’l-Baha did not say that. He said: “The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions.”

Logically speaking if all we had to do is be detached from this world then no wise man would ever wish for death. He would just try to be “more spiritual.”

Moreover, this Baha’i belief about attachment to the material world being the cause of all unhappiness is overly simplistic and it is wrong. For example, a person can be unhappy because of the loss of a loved one or because a loved one is ill. How is that attachment to the material world? If I am unhappy it is for reasons that have nothing to do with attachment to the material world.
I don’t see anywhere in that passage where He absolves man of all responsibilities for his condition.
I never implied that man is not responsible for any of his condition, but Abdu’l-Baha explained what we are not responsible for:

“Some things are subject to the free will of man, such as justice, equity, tyranny and injustice, in other words, good and evil actions; it is evident and clear that these actions are, for the most part, left to the will of man. But there are certain things to which man is forced and compelled, such as sleep, death, sickness, decline of power, injuries and misfortunes; these are not subject to the will of man, and he is not responsible for them, for he is compelled to endure them. But in the choice of good and bad actions he is free, and he commits them according to his own will.” Some Answered Questions, p. 248

Some people cannot endure them but that is not just because they need to be “more detached” or “more spiritual.” That is so judgmental. Life is a lot more complicated than that.

Apparently, God is more merciful than you are, as Abdu’l-Baha said about this man who committed suicide:

“As to thy husband, rest assured. He will be immersed in the ocean of pardon and forgiveness and will become the recipient of bounty and favour.”
On the contrary, although He is most compassionate and understanding, He blames our attachment to this world, caused by our own ignorance, of causing the sorrow.
Sorry but no, that is not in the quote. Abdu’l-Baha did not blame anyone for anything in that quote. I think you are projecting your own thoughts and feelings onto what Abdu’l-Baha said. Moreover, ignorance means lack of knowledge, and not everyone is blameworthy for being ignorant. Life is more complicated than that.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
How do you know that it was attachment to this world that caused his grief and sorrows and led to his suicide?

The quote says “That honourable man hath been so subjected to the stress and strain of this world that his greatest wish was for deliverance from it. Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering.”

The quote does not say anything about this man's attachment to this world.

I think that is judgmental and lacking in compassion. You act as if people have complete control over their emotions and behavior, but they don’t. Free will is circumscribed by many factors. Maybe you think that just because you woke up before it was too late and did not commit suicide, everyone can do likewise.

No, Abdu’l-Baha did not say that. He said: “The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions.”

Logically speaking if all we had to do is be detached from this world then no wise man would ever wish for death. He would just try to be “more spiritual.”

Moreover, this Baha’i belief about attachment to the material world being the cause of all unhappiness is overly simplistic and it is wrong. For example, a person can be unhappy because of the loss of a loved one or because a loved one is ill. How is that attachment to the material world? If I am unhappy it is for reasons that have nothing to do with attachment to the material world.

I never implied that man is not responsible for any of his condition, but Abdu’l-Baha explained what we are not responsible for:

“Some things are subject to the free will of man, such as justice, equity, tyranny and injustice, in other words, good and evil actions; it is evident and clear that these actions are, for the most part, left to the will of man. But there are certain things to which man is forced and compelled, such as sleep, death, sickness, decline of power, injuries and misfortunes; these are not subject to the will of man, and he is not responsible for them, for he is compelled to endure them. But in the choice of good and bad actions he is free, and he commits them according to his own will.” Some Answered Questions, p. 248

Some people cannot endure them but that is not just because they need to be “more detached” or “more spiritual.” That is so judgmental. Life is a lot more complicated than that.

Apparently, God is more merciful than you are, as Abdu’l-Baha said about this man who committed suicide:

“As to thy husband, rest assured. He will be immersed in the ocean of pardon and forgiveness and will become the recipient of bounty and favour.”

Sorry but no, that is not in the quote. Abdu’l-Baha did not blame anyone for anything in that quote. I think you are projecting your own thoughts and feelings onto what Abdu’l-Baha said. Moreover, ignorance means lack of knowledge, and not everyone is blameworthy for being ignorant. Life is more complicated than that.

We all have our own thoughts, views and reflections but to me love and unity are far more important than proving who is right or who is wrong so just disregard my views.as just scattered thoughts as I value your contributions and always will much more than my own.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We all have our own thoughts, views and reflections but to me love and unity are far more important than proving who is right or who is wrong so just disregard my views.as just scattered thoughts as I value your contributions and always will much more than my own.
I am sorry if I sounded argumentative, it is an occupational hazard that I acquired from posting to atheists and Christians day and night for seven years. ;)

Your views are just as valid as mine, you just look at the Writings from your own angle, as we all do.
We humans are all different so even if we are Baha'is, we will not always see things the same way, but I just love what Abdu'l-Baha wrote in that regard:

"Thus should it be among the children of men! The diversity in the human family should be the cause of love and harmony, as it is in music where many different notes blend together in the making of a perfect chord. If you meet those of different race and colour from yourself, do not mistrust them and withdraw yourself into your shell of conventionality, but rather be glad and show them kindness. Think of them as different coloured roses growing in the beautiful garden of humanity, and rejoice to be among them.

Likewise, when you meet those whose opinions differ from your own, do not turn away your face from them. All are seeking truth, and there are many roads leading thereto. Truth has many aspects, but it remains always and forever one.

Do not allow difference of opinion, or diversity of thought to separate you from your fellow-men, or to be the cause of dispute, hatred and strife in your hearts.

Rather, search diligently for the truth and make all men your friends.

Every edifice is made of many different stones, yet each depends on the other to such an extent that if one were displaced the whole building would suffer; if one is faulty the structure is imperfect.

Bahá’u’lláh has drawn the circle of unity, He has made a design for the uniting of all the peoples, and for the gathering of them all under the shelter of the tent of universal unity. This is the work of the Divine Bounty, and we must all strive with heart and soul until we have the reality of unity in our midst, and as we work, so will strength be given unto us.”

BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I am sorry if I sounded argumentative, it is an occupational hazard that I acquired from posting to atheists and Christians day and night for seven years. ;)

Your views are just as valid as mine, you just look at the Writings from your own angle, as we all do.
We humans are all different so even if we are Baha'is, we will not always see things the same way, but I just love what Abdu'l-Baha wrote in that regard:

"Thus should it be among the children of men! The diversity in the human family should be the cause of love and harmony, as it is in music where many different notes blend together in the making of a perfect chord. If you meet those of different race and colour from yourself, do not mistrust them and withdraw yourself into your shell of conventionality, but rather be glad and show them kindness. Think of them as different coloured roses growing in the beautiful garden of humanity, and rejoice to be among them.

Likewise, when you meet those whose opinions differ from your own, do not turn away your face from them. All are seeking truth, and there are many roads leading thereto. Truth has many aspects, but it remains always and forever one.

Do not allow difference of opinion, or diversity of thought to separate you from your fellow-men, or to be the cause of dispute, hatred and strife in your hearts.

Rather, search diligently for the truth and make all men your friends.

Every edifice is made of many different stones, yet each depends on the other to such an extent that if one were displaced the whole building would suffer; if one is faulty the structure is imperfect.

Bahá’u’lláh has drawn the circle of unity, He has made a design for the uniting of all the peoples, and for the gathering of them all under the shelter of the tent of universal unity. This is the work of the Divine Bounty, and we must all strive with heart and soul until we have the reality of unity in our midst, and as we work, so will strength be given unto us.”

BEAUTY AND HARMONY IN DIVERSITY

You are just awesome! That quote you inserted! I put it in my post, but then deleted it because all I just wanted to do send a very clear and unambiguous message of love and well wishing to you.