• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bacteria.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Because I was taught basic science when I was young.

So what your evidence or your scientific source which confirms that bacteria won't turn to the gaseous state
by heating it at the boiling degree?

The water will. How long that takes depends on the temperature. But while bacteria are largely water, they aren't entirely.
Or else they wouldn't be bacteria, they'd be water.
Tom

But if water turn to the gaseous state then the bacteria will lack water and die which isn't the case for some bacteria?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So what your evidence or your scientific source
Wiki it for yourself.
The evidence that bacteria are not entirely made of water is easily available, although you probably won't learn it by memorizing the Quran.
You'll have to learn from the kaffirs.
Tom

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
How do you know? what about the water in the bacteria, shouldn't it turn to the gaseous state
and then the bacteria will lose the water and die, but some bacteria will survive in higher
temperature, how you explain it? if you don't know then you can regard it as an ignorant question.
Some of the liquid will be "boiled off," in that it is vaporized...mostly, the water. Other things don't boil at the same temperature. And most of the solid materials remain. One of the interesting things about water is that when it has solids, other gases and liquids in it, the boiling temperature rises (same with the freezing temperature). As the water evaporates as it boils, the remaining solids raise the boiling temperature, and the temperature within the bacteria, at least for a few minutes, is still below boiling.

Depending on how quickly the temperature change happens, bacteria can enter a state of suspended operation, basically shutting down until conditions return to those that the bacteria can thrive in. It's also observed in a lot of other single-celled creatures. Enough heat for long enough will kill all the bacteria, though...the basis of canning, and cooking...

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm sure if we had a bacteriologist on RF, that person would be able to explain it all in detail. I'm not a bacteriologist. But apparently, it would seem that the ability to survive boiling water and/or other extreme conditions must be evidence of an intelligent designer/maintainer of the universe, rather than an product of evolution.:p:eek::rolleyes:

Daemon Sophic

Thermal extremophile bacteria, @beenherebeforeagain has it stated well. My cellular biology major is decades behind me now.
Some of the liquid will be "boiled off," in that it is vaporized...mostly, the water. Other things don't boil at the same temperature. And most of the solid materials remain. One of the interesting things about water is that when it has solids, other gases and liquids in it, the boiling temperature rises (same with the freezing temperature). As the water evaporates as it boils, the remaining solids raise the boiling temperature, and the temperature within the bacteria, at least for a few minutes, is still below boiling.

Depending on how quickly the temperature change happens, bacteria can enter a state of suspended operation, basically shutting down until conditions return to those that the bacteria can thrive in. It's also observed in a lot of other single-celled creatures. Enough heat for long enough will kill all the bacteria, though...the basis of canning, and cooking...

@FearGod what's your point?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes i know it's living, but what kind of matter it has, for example our bodies consist of bones and flesh,
but what kind of matter is the bacteria?
Flesh, of course. Bacteria have no need for bones.
Bacterial 'flesh' is generally called "protoplasm" or "cytoplasm."
Now if we pressed billions of bacteria together in a specific place,will they become visible by the naked eye?
Where do you come up with these questions? Didn't you ever grow bacteria in Biology class?
Of course you can see them. You see them all the time, just as you see colonies of mold or algae growing on things.
What is the state of matter for the bacteria?
Same state of matter as you, or a fish, or a mosquito.
You seem to think bacteria are some strange, supernatural things, like jinn; outside of the normal world we live in. They're just creatures like you and me, but too small to see.
Should heating all kinds of bacteria at the boiling degree turn it to the gaseous state?
Should heating all kinds of fish or birds turn them into a gaseous state?

What kind of question is this? What do you think bacteria are? They're living things, made of the same stuff as all other living things. Why should they turn to gas?

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So what your evidence or your scientific source which confirms that bacteria won't turn to the gaseous state by heating it at the boiling degree?
What is your evidence that heating a pot of mice or potatoes to boiling temperature won't turn them into a gaseous state?
Why would such a ridiculous question even occur to you?? Were you raised in Plato's cave, or Hogwarts?
Try it yourself -- grow a colony of bacteria and heat t in a pot. You can do it in your own kitchen.

It's just common sense, FG. Forgive me, but your understanding of the nature of reality and how the world works seems to be one of magic, mythology and the supernatural. Were you sleeping through chemistry, biology and physics classes?

Huh???
Pure water is nothing but, well... water. Add salt and you'll raise the boiling temperature; add alcohol and you'll lower it; add sand and it'll have no effect.

Boiling bacteria is no different from boiling jellyfish, flies or hamsters. Why is everyone treating bacteria like some ethereal, supernatural, theoretical substance?

Daemon Sophic

um...
entertainment value?
Yup. The suspense of what exactly @FearGod is driving at is leaving me on the edge of my seat.

Well, Ok. I'm drifting off to sleep in my bed, but you get the idea.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So what your evidence or your scientific source which confirms that bacteria won't turn to the gaseous state by heating it at the boiling degree?
:) O Servant of Allah, there is a particular temperature for each thing at which it will vaporize, even iron. It helps to have studied science.
But if water turn to the gaseous state then the bacteria will lack water and die which isn't the case for some bacteria?
Sure, put a human in a furnace. All water in his body will quickly vaporize and the person will die. What is so strange in this?

Jumi

Now if we pressed billions of bacteria together in a specific place,will
they become visible by the naked eye?
You can do it easier than that, this is routine stuff today:
serveimage

You can also see them in your teeth. The plaque is mostly made of bacteria.

This is what they look like under a microscope. The shapes vary on bacteria and strain, not all of them are rod shape:
serveimage

You can also look at them with a scanning electron microscope:
serveimage

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks...

Very interesting thread...To my mind though - some of the things that get classed as "alive" - I would definately have to dispute..

A bacteria - a virus - not alive at all...it may be an ANIMATED FORM - but it is not truly ALIVE....To my mind, to be TRULY alive - the INDIVIDUAL must be capable of realising their OWN existance....Certainly, for a form such as a bacteria or mircobe this cannot apply - and even for much MUCH more complex forms,this status of truly alive does not apply either...

Most insects for example are NOT truly alive either - they are animated forms that act purely on PROGRAMMED INSTINCT - they are automotons - robots..Even some larger animals,higher forms we may think, but animlas such as cows and sheep - likewise, not TRULY alive - still largely instinctual and none sentient...

Indeed, thinking about it, I find crucial criteria arise that I personally would use to define TRUE life - the form MUST be sufficiently SELF AWARE - posess a SENTIENT mind - and preferably, have a good EMOTIONAL capacity as well.....Certainly if the animal does not even realise that it IS alive, if it is purely instinctual and following genetic imperatives only then that is not really being alive at all - so a SENTIENT Self aware mind is a definate pre requisite to TRUE life..

Once the animal form develops BOTH Sentient mind AND sufficient EMOTIONAL capacity -then it begins the real journey as it is now capable of sustaining it Self as an ETERNAL SOUL..

Really - life - existance - is NOT about form, structure, physical conditions - not at all - TRUE LIFE - is all about MIND - becoming fully SELF AWARE - attaining SELF GNOSIS...The form is IRRELEVANT - eventually every mind will reach and disclose its own full potential - for we all exist as a unique form within a SINGLE fully omniscient MIND that caused it all to unfold..There is no seperation at all - only the ILLUSION of a physical form that the mind currently inhabits and identifies it Self with...I and My Father are ONE - always - life is a journey of Self discovery - existance here is a progression of stages of Self realisation that takes us right back to this Divine Source of it all...For a Human Being - life here is a journey of Self REMEMBERING - Whoa nd What we are BEFORE we took these illusionary forms..For those with ears to hear.......

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is it mentioned in his holy book perhaps?
The Qura'n talks about Djinns made of smokeless fire and describes life as breath or wind.

I guess some people take that so literally as to assume that microscopes lie. Or something.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
The Qura'n talks about Djinns made of smokeless fire and describes life as breath or wind.

I guess some people take that so literally as to assume that microscopes lie. Or something.
Do you thnk human had full ability to see all things ?
angels also created from light.

Is fire living thing ?

How your cretria distinct between the living thing and non-living thing ?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Defining life is surprisingly difficult, but it is generally accepted that it involves a material body, material nutrition, reproduction and excretory system.

Virus may or may not be considered living beings. Fire isn't. Bacteria definitely are.

It is not like there is any real doubt about that. What is unclear is why people ask such things that have been well understood for such a long time.