• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The average forum member

Heyo

Veteran Member
Is there an average forum member? If there is, he or she is likely to be averagely intelligent.
The average forum member is of average intelligence in relation to the forum.
In relation to the overall population, the intelligence is above average. We are a self-selected group which is interested in religion, philosophy and sometimes politics/current events. Those interests are underrepresented in the lower IQ ranks. More precisely, having challenging conversations about the topics - low IQ people are still interested in religion and politics on more of a consumer level.

Because of that low pass filter, I also assume that we will not have a normal distribution. I guess that the median is still very near 100, while the average is a bit higher.

InChrist

Free4ever
On a scale of one to ten, how aparently intelligent is the average forum participant?
If you've been here for more than a couple of years, is tis average inching up or declining.

My view:

6 | declining​
Not sure about accurately answering that question.
I do think that intelligence alone can fall short, as it must be balanced with wisdom and knowledge…

Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get-understanding. Proverbs 4:7

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Not sure about accurately answering that question.
I do think that intelligence alone can fall short, as it must be balanced with wisdom and knowledge…

As you wish ...

Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get-understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Sefaria proposes: "With all your acquisitions, acquire discernment." [emphasis added - JS] I would suggest that discernment emphasizes the ability to analyze, and I suspect that this is part of what Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. had in mind when he wrote:

There is nothing more dangerous in all the world than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidy. As Shakespeare said:​
For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds,​
Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.​
As the chief moral guardian of the community, the church must implore men to be good and well-intentioned. It must extoll the virtues of kind-heartedness and conscientiousness. But somewhere along the way it must remind men that goodness and conscientiousness without intelligence may be the brutal forces that will lead to shameful crucificions. The church must never tire of reminding men that they have a moral responsibility to be intelligent.​

InChrist

Free4ever
As you wish ...

Sefaria proposes: "With all your acquisitions, acquire discernment." [emphasis added - JS] I would suggest that discernment emphasizes the ability to analyze, and I suspect that this is part of what Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. had in mind when he wrote:

There is nothing more dangerous in all the world than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidy. As Shakespeare said:​
For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds,​
Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.​
As the chief moral guardian of the community, the church must implore men to be good and well-intentioned. It must extoll the virtues of kind-heartedness and conscientiousness. But somewhere along the way it must remind men that goodness and conscientiousness without intelligence may be the brutal forces that will lead to shameful crucificions. The church must never tire of reminding men that they have a moral responsibility to be intelligent.​
I completely agree, discernment is of utmost importance.
And I truly appreciate this…

“As the chief moral guardian of the community, the church must implore men to be good and well-intentioned. It must extoll the virtues of kind-heartedness and conscientiousness. But somewhere along the way it must remind men that goodness and conscientiousness without intelligence may be the brutal forces that will lead to shameful crucificions. The church must never tire of reminding men that they have a moral responsibility to be intelligent.”