• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atheist Experience

Fraleyight

Ya, I am going to check out the podcast when I get around to it. I love this show, it is the only show I know of that brings discussion up like this... If you know of anything else I would love to check it out.

The Neo Nerd

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I watch it occasionally, but I'm beginning to dislike how they treat Atheism as Secular Humanism, they should rather call it "The Secular Humanist Experience" since not all Atheists are Secular Humanists, and I disagree with them on a few points, but when I try to call in they are always busy.

The Neo Nerd

I watch it occasionally, but I'm beginning to dislike how they treat Atheism as Secular Humanism, they should rather call it "The Secular Humanist Experience" since not all Atheists are Secular Humanists, and I disagree with them on a few points, but when I try to call in they are always busy.

I don't agree with them all the time as well. Actually some of the hosts grate on my nerves.

But i think what they do is important.

If you do get through let us know, i'd love to see it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Odd name. I wasn't aware that atheism was an "experience."
If you don't mind my intrusion, I'm pretty sure it's a series title. My local station broadcasts both The American Experience and The Oregon Experience. It's just a title them, not commentary on the subject.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I don't agree with them all the time as well. Actually some of the hosts grate on my nerves.
I think I'm kind of in love with Matt Dillahunty, but Jeff Dee can be far, far, far too aggressive with theists on the phone and tends to jump down their throats without actually listening to what they're saying.

The Neo Nerd

I think I'm kind of in love with Matt Dillahunty, but Jeff Dee can be far, far, far too aggressive with theists on the phone and tends to jump down their throats without actually listening to what they're saying.

I use to think the same about Jeff but then i started listening to the Non-Prophets podcasts and started to like him.

Matt can come across as a little arrogant, but yeah he's still likeable.

Russell is my fav, he's always polite and smiling.

And Shilling would have to be my fav Non-Prophets host, his brutal honesty and intelligence is awesome.

bennychico

Never miss it. The show is what helped me figure out my real feelings/thoughts on religion and dis-belief in god in.
This excerpt in particular I can really identify with. Such a brilliant response by Matt...and I agree with him 100%. Everything he said really expresses everything I was feeling for so many years but just couldn't express them so eloquently.
youtube: v=DAuFJKQh83Y (sorry, you'll have to type the link yourself, I'm a new member and it won't let me post videos yet)

Matt and Tracie are two of my favorites!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
So I'm listening to the opening song right now and it sounds just like bad Christian rock. WHYYYY?

EDIT:
The knitted flying spaghetti monster on the desk makes up for it a little bit.

Bob L

I love watching The Atheist Experience on YouTube. Matt Dillahunty is extremely knowledgable, so much so that Christians cannot trip him up, and Jeff Dee mercilessly hammers Christians who get out of line! It was a big influence in my decision to become an atheist.

work in progress

I love watching The Atheist Experience on YouTube. Matt Dillahunty is extremely knowledgable, so much so that Christians cannot trip him up, and Jeff Dee mercilessly hammers Christians who get out of line! It was a big influence in my decision to become an atheist.
I never watch the Youtube episodes, but I have been picking up the podcast audio versions of Atheist Experience and the other show they do occasionally now - The Nonprophets. Matt Dillahunty seems to have become the star of the group of rotating hosts...worth noting that all of them are amateurs devoting their free time to put these shows on public access TV and podcast uploads.

If you can find an episode from a couple of years back, where Matt Slick (who runs the CARM evangelism website) made a callback when Matt D. was hosting; Slick tried to run the T.A.G. proof of God past Matt D. and got shut down each time he tried to extend that little trail of breadcrumbs to get to proof of God. It went on for 15 or 20 minutes, and was a confusing mess for any listener, but I came away amazed that Matt D. could maintain his concentration and catch all the shifting definitions that Slick tried to lead him in to. Where the Atheist Experience sags is usually around the half hour mark when they take callers. Very few of the Christians calling in to challenge them seem to have much more than a passing familiarity with the arguments they are trying to use on air.

I haven't noticed a mention of the two female A.E. hosts (Jen Peeples and Tracie Harris) who have expertise in areas where the guys like Dillahunty or other frequent host - Russel Glasser don't seem to be as familiar with. And it's worth mentioning that they have been posting their own weekly roundtable discussion show - Godless *******, which is pretty good unless it runs too long. I didn't see that one mentioned so far in the thread....and I just noticed after doing a quick preview, that the show title doesn't pass the censor here. Since they run a serious discussion show, I think they should have gone with a less vulgar title.

I don't know how big the Atheist Community of Austin is, but it sure seems to be a lot more active than any similar atheist or humanist organizations that we've tried to keep going in Southern Ontario. Many atheists living in Bible Belt states tell me that living in areas where religion is constantly in your face on the media, in public, in the schools, and even discussed at work, likely makes the nonreligious more determined to organize together than in areas like where I live, where religion is less of a concern for most people. I might be an atheist activist if I had a bunch of clowns pushing bibles in my face, asking me if I'm saved!

But, even if I was living in Texas, I would still have a fundamental disagreement with the Atheist Community, since the prevailing opinion expressed on the shows is that religion is always bad, and deconversion invariably is better for everyone. As Matt says frequently:"everyone should hold beliefs that are as accurate and supported with evidence as possible." And I don't really think I agree with that premise from the start. If someone has a core belief that they live in a universe that's created for a purpose that includes us, I don't see how stripping away that belief benefits alot of the believers....so, maybe if I lived in Texas, I'd be a Unitarian.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So I'm listening to the opening song right now and it sounds just like bad Christian rock. WHYYYY?

EDIT:
The knitted flying spaghetti monster on the desk makes up for it a little bit.

Yeah... I don't know about the theme song. I can only guess it's either because it's free, or because they don't want to hurt the feelings of the fan who made it for them.

Was Moohammed the Sacred Cow on the desk net to the FSM? He (she?) usually hangs out on the desk, too. I like Moohammed. :)