• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The atheist chooses to discuss their lack of belief

HonestJoe

You mean how atheists have taken a serious question and attempted to turn this thread into a circus. Yes, it appears that it was a waste of time.
You got a whole load of serious answers to your question, some quite long and thought out but you chose to ignore them all. I don't think you're in a strong position to make you first (and so far only) response a complaint that some posts got a little silly. That's what tends to happen to hit-and-run threads.

smidjit

You got a whole load of serious answers to your question, some quite long and thought out but you chose to ignore them all. I don't think you're in a strong position to make you first (and so far only) response a complaint that some posts got a little silly. That's what tends to happen to hit-and-run threads.
I never ignored any of them. How else could I have made the statement. I think many of the excuses are lame, but hey, that's just my opinion.

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
Most atheists confuse "theology" with "religion."

Religion itself does indeed affect the world we live in. Theology itself does not. If it wasn't for human nature, we could all have our own idea of the universe and live and let live. However, there is a basic human need to fit in with society. Even an atheist needs someone to agree with them once in a while. Perhaps one day we will all learn to be secure enough in our own judgments to not label our belief systems. Until that day, however, the non-religious and not-theist have to be just as "religious" as the rest of the world...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So does atheism. Of course we cant remove any of your commandments cause you don't have any.
We do have an almost-sort-of-commandment. You might have seen it on the open road.
"Sh*** happens"
This expresses the closest thing to an a posteriori truth I know of.
The atheist tradition is to post our wisdom on car bumpers, rather than in courthouses.
(We prefer the greater dignity & visibility.)

Last edited:

tarekabdo12

I am quite humored that the atheist chooses not to label their lack of belief in a God, but they feel the need to discuss that lack of belief with those who do. My question to the atheist then is this. Why bother with the discussion? In discussing religion who are you attempting to convince? You or the religious person. In fact what is your purpose for discussing theological matters at all? If our belief in god is in league with the flying spaghetti monster, why do you lower yourself to discuss such silly beliefs?

When a person is low and he feels that he's standing on no base, he feels great confusion inside himself. That's why he tries to convince himself that he's right and that others are wrong, he tries to escape his conscience and deceive himself by telling it that I've a rationale. He also tries to increase his lost self-confidence by telling himself:"There are others like me, I must be right". Well, it doesn't matter how many people believe in a certain dogma, the most important thing is "IS IT TRUE OR NOT?'

smidjit

When a person is low and he feels that he's standing on no base, he feels great confusion inside himself. That's why he tries to convince himself that he's right and that others are wrong, he tries to escape his conscience and deceive himself by telling it that I've a rationale. He also tries to increase his lost self-confidence by telling himself:"There are others like me, I must be right". Well, it doesn't matter how many people believe in a certain dogma, the most important thing is "IS IT TRUE OR NOT?'
I think this may be very close to the core reason. Thanks

Alceste

Vagabond
I like to discuss belief in god/s because the psychology behind delusional convictions is simply...

spock_fascinating.jpg

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When a person is low and he feels that he's standing on no base, he feels great confusion inside himself. That's why he tries to convince himself that he's right and that others are wrong, he tries to escape his conscience and deceive himself by telling it that I've a rationale.
Funny... this about sums up my usual feeling when I read one of those "THE QURAN IS SCIENCE!" threads.

BTW - what makes you think that atheists are "low" and "feel that [they] are standing on no base"?

waitasec

Veteran Member
When a person is low and he feels that he's standing on no base, he feels great confusion inside himself. That's why he tries to convince himself that he's right and that others are wrong, he tries to escape his conscience and deceive himself
that he is the center of the universe...

He also tries to increase his lost self-confidence by telling himself:"There are others like me, I must be right".
still doesn't explain why there are so many interpretations of god

Vansdad

Because religion has an impact upon the culture and politics of the society we live in.
Take responsibility for your own life. You sound like you are just trying to blame others for lifes problems. And think of all the charitable work of these religious organizations, by the way.