• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ark of the Covenant

JTFC

I was viewing a documentary on the History channel in which a Doctor is searching for the Ark of the Covenant.

The debate question is, Where do you think it might have been placed?

I myself have no clue as to where it might be. What about you?

Ben Masada

I was viewing a documentary on the History channel in which a Doctor is searching for the Ark of the Covenant.

There is a tradition in Judaism that Jeremiah, the Prophet, just prior to the destruction of the Temple by the Babylonians, hid it in a cave under the Mount Nebo across the Jordan River.

But according to another Jewish tradition, the Zealots in Jerusalem just before the Romans broke in through the walls of Jerusalem they hid it in one of the many caves under the Temple Mount.

It's very strange that the Maccabees had no interest in searching for it when they held absolute power in Israel.

Ben :confused:

.lava

Veteran Member

dear JTFC, what is the ark of the Covenant?

.lava

Veteran Member
It's very strange that the Maccabees had no interest in searching for it when they held absolute power in Israel.

Ben :confused:

do you mean Muslims by Maccabees? is this how you guys call us Muslims?

hopefully someday before you die, you'd realize it is only ALLAH who has ABSOLUTE POWER, not men.

.lava

Veteran Member
The Ark of the Covenant is a chest with two Angels on top that house the Stones the have the 10 Commandments on them.

i guess you're talking about ancient trust.

Kohath-02.jpg

if this is the issue, then i would say evil-doers could never find it. this object and what it holds inside is sacred. even if they dig for billion years, they could not reach it. only God could lead people there, not greed and arrogance-lol-not at all. it is not hidden in the way men hide things. it is hidden by God. that would be either Mahdi (PBUH) or Jesus (PBUH) who opens it, when it is time.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
lava,

The Maccabees were the Jewish movement that fought the Hellenistic control of the land of Israel and were victorious. the nation became free again in their rule, although ironically the dynasty they have founded- The Hasmonean dynasty became hellenized in many ways.

now, to be honest, Im a bit startled that you have never heard about the Ark of the Covenant.

"And (further) their Prophet said to them: "A Sign of his authority is that there shall come to you the Ark of the covenant, with (an assurance) therein of security (Sakina) from your Lord, and the relics left by the family of Moses and the family of Aaron, carried by angels. In this is a symbol for you if ye indeed have faith."

~Quran 2:248

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Isn't it in Axum, Ethiopia?.
Some say it's in the basement of the St Mary of Zion church, but apparently it's actually in the smaller building next to it -- I forget what it's called -- the treasury or something.
In any case it's widely believed to be somewhere within the fenced compound.

.lava

Veteran Member
lava,

The Maccabees were the Jewish movement that fought the Hellenistic control of the land of Israel and were victorious. the nation became free again in their rule, although ironically the dynasty they have founded- The Hasmonean dynasty became hellenized in many ways.

now, to be honest, Im a bit startled that you have never heard about the Ark of the Covenant.

"And (further) their Prophet said to them: "A Sign of his authority is that there shall come to you the Ark of the covenant, with (an assurance) therein of security (Sakina) from your Lord, and the relics left by the family of Moses and the family of Aaron, carried by angels. In this is a symbol for you if ye indeed have faith."

~Quran 2:248

thanks for explanation of Maccabees, i thought Ben was mocking.

and for the Ark, you know English is not my mother language. i am Turkish and i call it with a Turkish name. only when i sent pictures of it i saw its name as Ark. we call it Solomon's Ark. in Turkish Süleyman'ın Sandığı..oh yea i've heard of it :D of course..many people are trying to find it.

Elessar

The Ark of the Covenant:

"They are to make an ark of acacia-wood three-and-three-quarters feet long, two-and-a-quarter feet wide and two-and-a-quarter feet high. You are to overlay it with pure gold - overlay it both inside and outside -- and put a molding of gold around the top of it. Cast four gold rings for it, and attach them to its four feet, two rings on each side. Make poles of acacia-wood, and overlay them with gold. Put the poles into the rings on the sides of the ark; you will use them to carry the ark. The poles are to remain in the rings of the ark; they are not to be removed from it. Into the ark you are to put the testimony which I am about to give you.
"You are to make a cover for the ark out of pure gold; it is to be three-and-three-quarters feet long and two-and-a-quarter feet wide. You are to make two k'ruvim [cherubim/angels] of gold. Make them of hammered work for the two ends of the ark-cover. Make one keruv for one end and one keruv for the other end; make the k'ruvim of one piece with the ark-cover at its two ends. The k'ruvim will have their wings spread out above, so that their wings cover the ark, and their faces are toward each other and toward the ark-cover. You are to put the ark-cover on top of the ark.
"Inside the ark you will put the testimony that I am about to give you. There I will meet with you. I will speak with you from above the ark-cover, from between the two k'ruvim which are on the ark for the testimony, about all the other orders I am giving you for the people of Isra'el.
Parashah 19:10-22/Sh'mot (Exodus) 25:10-22 (CJB)

Those are the exact specifications in the Torah.

.lava

Veteran Member
Caladan, thanks for the verse you sent. i did not know it was mentioned in Qur'an. that is interesting. i am curious about something. do you believe that only 'man/Messenger of God' could find that ark? if yes, would you accept his message?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
lava,

My focus of study is archaeology. I'd be happy if a fellow archaeologist would bring such a find into the public's knowledge ;)

.lava

Veteran Member
lava,

My focus of study is archaeology. I'd be happy if a fellow archaeologist would bring such a find into the public's knowledge ;)

very humble of you Caladan :cool: some people say this 'matter of archaeology' might not even be buried under ground.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
lava,

Yes, for example there is an urban legend that Jewish priests smuggled the Ark into Ethiopia as destruction was impending.

.lava

Veteran Member
lava,

Yes, for example there is an urban legend that Jewish priests smuggled the Ark into Ethiopia as destruction was impending.

i thought that that excavation going on in Jerusalem was about the ark. you know, there is an excavation site under mosque. i guess that is the place once temple of Solomon stood. i wonder if there were people looking for it in Africa. they also say it might be in Istanbul. have you ever heard of underground galleries?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
lava,

The excavations in Jerusalem are not under the Mosque though. Jerusalem, and certain places of it raise sensitive issues, so excavating in different locations in Jerusalem bring about misguided attention many times.

what do you mean by underground galleries?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, that's it. It's in The Treasury Church, AKA The Treasury of the Ark of the Covenant.