• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 9 Commandments

newcastle

I say 9 because i believe jesus did away with the first, read for yourself..

<< ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.' >>

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." (John 14:6)

Look at John 14:13 and John 14:16: “I will do anything you ask the Father in my name
so that the Father will be given glory because of the Son.” . . . “I will ask the Father

1 John 5:20 We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us discernment
to know the one who is true. And we are in the one who is true, in his Son Jesus
Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

What say you.. enlightened posts only.. please no ' we came from monkies so we can break them all ' replies....

Thanks.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Hey... wait, so this is a debate, but I'm not allowed to say what I believe??

Anyway, though I don't believe in any of that stuff, if you guys all believe that these commandments mean something, and that you are bad if you break them... well, don't break them then, huh?

newcastle

Hey... wait, so this is a debate, but I'm not allowed to say what I believe??

Anyway, though I don't believe in any of that stuff, if you guys all believe that these commandments mean something, and that you are bad if you break them... well, don't break them then, huh?

In your first statement, you admit to everyone your not enlightened, but on the second,
you say the most enlightened response that i ever imagined to recieve... Don't break them!!!

Don't lose yourself bro, you have strong forces within you battling, don't let darkness win..

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
In your first statement, you admit to everyone your not enlightened, but on the second,
you say the most enlightened response that i ever imagined to recieve... Don't break them!!!

Don't lose yourself bro, you have strong forces within you battling, don't let darkness win..

I haven't lost myself, "bro." I'm tired of people saying that.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." (John 14:6)

Look at John 14:13 and John 14:16: “I will do anything you ask the Father in my name
so that the Father will be given glory because of the Son.” . . . “I will ask the Father

1 John 5:20 We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us discernment
to know the one who is true. And we are in the one who is true, in his Son Jesus

What say you.. enlightened posts only.. please no ' we came from monkies so we can break them all ' replies....

Thanks.
Are you saying that since God the Father and Jesus Christ are two different people that it nullifies the first commandment? I think some Christians get around this by referring to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as the Godhead. Either way, Godhead or Trinity, the first commandment is still equally valid.

Thanks.

I believe Jesus was referring to how God, the Holy Spirit, and himself are all part of the Holy Trinity.

Jesus seems to talk in John 14:6 about how God was made into a man to save the world from Hell. Christian doctrine teaches that only through Jesus can people be pardoned of their sins and able to spend eternity with the Father in Heaven, thus: "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me."

In 1 John 5:20, Jesus is talking about "the one who is true" meaning God, and how God was made a man to inform us of this through Jesus' ministry, so that we can be saved.

I don't see how Jesus oversteps the first commandment, seeing as God and himself are spirtually the same deity.

Keep in mind, this is an Atheist talking...:shrug:

newcastle

Are you saying that since God the Father and Jesus Christ are two different people that it nullifies the first commandment? I think some Christians get around this by referring to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as the Godhead. Either way, Godhead or Trinity, the first commandment is still equally valid.

1John 5:20 We also know that the Son of God has come and has given us
discernment to know the one who is true. And we are in the one who is true, in his
Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Rev 5:2 Then I saw a mighty angel who proclaimed in a loud voice, "Who is worthy
to open the scroll and break its seals?"

3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll
or to examine it.

5 One of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. The lion of the tribe of Judah, the
root of David, 3 has triumphed, enabling him to open the scroll with its seven seals."

You see my understanding is that no one in Heaven was worthy to open the scrolls, not
even God the Father.. So the Father and the Son are different and seperate according to 1John 5:20..

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Just for the record evolution does not claim we came from present day monkey species like chimps or apes. It does claim, however, that we simians share a common ancestor.
Most of the 10 commandments, like thou shalt not steal or kill, are common sense ethics that have been followed by about every human civilization and are hardly exclusive or original to the OT. The theory of evolution has no more to do with morality than the theory of gravity does.

newcastle

gravity father heathen, is not a theory but a law.

and yes, the theory of evolution is correctly stated.
it has nothing to do with morality, for we are not like the animals,
although in the days of sinners, one might actually believe we were..

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
gravity father heathen, is not a theory but a law.

and yes, the theory of evolution is correctly stated.
it has nothing to do with morality, for we are not like the animals,
although in the days of sinners, one might actually believe we were..

Allow me to educate you on the scientific use of the term "theory".

Also, it's a logical fallacy to purposely misrepresent something so it can be easily "refuted". Humans are a social and sentient animal, hence the formation of ethics. Moral codes naturally arose due to our interaction with one another and order in society being necessary for survival. I fail to see how our biological origins negates this.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I must say I'm kind of confused. Is this in the "General Religious Debates" for a reason? I would assume that when you post something here, you're looking for the opinions of all idfferent kinds of people, not just one. Otherwise wouldn't it be better to post it in a specific religion's forum?

I don't think it's a good way to start your thread to say that one view is unenlightened. It only goes to show your own lack of enlightenment.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well... I guess there is nothing very exciting going on here.... I'll say it again though... Don't tell me that I am lost... No one tell me that. It kind of p****es me off. :D

newcastle

Allow me to educate you on the scientific use of the term "theory".

Also, it's a logical fallacy to purposely misrepresent something so it can be easily "refuted". Humans are a social and sentient animal, hence the formation of ethics. Moral codes naturally arose due to our interaction with one another and order in society being necessary for survival. I fail to see how our biological origins negates this.

Of course, of course, science, and the sun burns in an oxygen
deprived atmosphere, scientific fact or should I say, theory...
And out of Chaos, creates intelligence of course, of course, science...

Truth is simple, lies are complex...

Michel07

Thanks.

I believe the first commandment is applicable today as at any other time in history because I believe we are hard wired to worship something. For some it is money, for some it is intellectualism, for some it is fun etc.... Worshipping is to some degree what we live for. As Jesus once said ' Where your heart is there is your treaure." God wants to be our treasure. But if we don't live for God then we are worshipping a false god. Hence the first commandment.