• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me all your about thoughts about divination!

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Divination works much in the way contemplative meditation does, but rather than still the mind to contemplate a question, it distracts it from restlessness, capriciousness, and agitation by focusing on a single task.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
How is it supposed to work?
Tarot cards is a form of divination

How you draw some cards from a deck and then lay them out on a table is supposed to tell you about your future

I've had a Tarot reading and have decided it's all mumbo-jumbo

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

How you draw some cards from a deck and then lay them out on a table is supposed to tell you about your future

Basing one's opinion of an entire practice on one tarot reading is, in my opinion, like reading one word in a book and deciding the author is horrible.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Basing one's opinion of an entire practice on one tarot reading is, in my opinion, like reading one word in a book and deciding the author is horrible.
It was all very vague, no specifics

Not at all convincing

I had the reading about 6 months ago

Apparently a terrible calamity is coming my way.........

I'm still waiting for it

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I had a tarot reading a few months ago by someone on this forum, and it was spot on. I've had two more since then, and both were spot on.

It was all very vague, no specifics

Not at all convincing

I had the reading about 6 months ago

Apparently a terrible calamity is coming my way.........

I'm still waiting for it

Have you ever considered that perhaps it was the person who read the cards who was mistaken, rather than the cards themselves? Maybe the person was inexperienced with them. It can happen. I've met people who dabble in divination for fun, but they don't fully understand it and are inexperienced.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I had a tarot reading a few months ago by someone on this forum, and it was spot on. I've had two more since then, and both were spot on.

Have you ever considered that perhaps it was the person who read the cards who was mistaken, rather than the cards themselves? Maybe the person was inexperienced with them. It can happen. There are people who dabble in divination who don't fully understand it and are inexperienced.
Yes, maybe the reader was incompetent, that is a possibility

But he did it for free and the local woman who does readings charges £40 for a reading and there is no way I am going to spend that much on such a thing

I don't get how it is supposed to work either and am deeply suspicious of it, sounds rather irrational to me

I think it is just an easy way for someone to make £40, that's all

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, maybe the reader was incompetent, that is a possibility

But he did it for free and the local woman who does readings charges £40 for a reading and there is no way I am going to spend that much on such a thing

I don't get how it is supposed to work either and am deeply suspicious of it, sounds rather irrational to me

I think it is just an easy way for someone to make £40, that's all
If your car broke down, and someone offered to fix it for free and someone else offered to fix it for £200, and you chose the free option, and the car didn't run right, would you be suspicious of all mechanics and conclude that car repair is just an easy way for someone to make £200?

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I've done various divination methods for myself, with reasonable success. My favorite is the I-Ching; it talks like an old friend.

I don't do it much anymore, because I am unable to stop myself from obsessing over any kind of negative reading. It brings more stress than it alleviates. Occasionally, I'll have someone draw a tarot card to see where they're mentally at.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
If your car broke down, and someone offered to fix it for free and someone else offered to fix it for £200, and you chose the free option, and the car didn't run right, would you be suspicious of all mechanics and conclude that car repair is just an easy way for someone to make £200?
It's not the same

It is reasonable to believe that cars exist and that broken cars can be repaired

It is not reasonable to believe that making a selection of cards in a certain way will somehow reveal the future

I call that magical thinking and very much doubt that the universe works that way

rocala

Does it make any sense for any of us with religious beliefs to say divination does not work? It sounds just as reasonable as a virgin birth or going to heaven on a winged horse.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not the same

It is reasonable to believe that cars exist and that broken cars can be repaired

It is not reasonable to believe that making a selection of cards in a certain way will somehow reveal the future

I call that magical thinking and very much doubt that the universe works that way
Unless my memory is failing me, you were a theist right up until a few days ago.

I find your composition of posts/threads attacking "magical thinking" to be quite comical.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Unless my memory is failing me, you were a theist right up until a few days ago.

I find your composition of posts/threads attacking "magical thinking" to be quite comical.
I now know better.......

I am open to there being supernatural and mysterious things that are real but beyond enquiry and understanding

I do not believe that Tarrot is such a thing

But if it gives people hope and structure I would never condem it, it seems perfectly harmless to me

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I now know better.......

I am open to there being supernatural and mysterious things that are real but beyond enquiry and understanding

I do not believe that Tarrot is such a thing

But if it gives people hope and structure I would never condem it, it seems perfectly harmless to me
There are many other forms of divination besides tarot.

CharmingOwl

Divination is good but you're limited by the actual tools. There are only so many things tarot can say and Ouija requires multiple people which can sway the communication. It's better to learn medium ship and be able to see deities and spirits, or go to the crossroads with offerings (And protection) to speak to spirits face to face.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
And I'm also sceptical about those

But Tarrot is the one I have the most experience with

I'm sorry that you've had a poor experience with a tarot reading. Maybe you'll find someone else who will give you a better reading.