• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell Me About Something That You Believe In

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Only one belief of yours that you find the most essential of your life's philosophy.

Go in depth as much or as little as you'd like, but only ONE thing that you believe in that you find the most important out of all of your other beliefs.

Then, explain how you came to learn that. Was it passed on? Did you learn it from experience? Did you come to it via reasoning and logic? Etc.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I believe that while I (and indeed all humanity) does not know everything cannot explain everything; all things within our existence must needs conform to logic - though more complex entities may exhibit characteristics and indeed behaviour that initially seem to defy this principle, these things are underpinned by innumerable factors and amalgamated into the whole; all must conform to logic yet we may not understand them as well as we might.

In short: Our existence is characterised by logic though it is sometimes difficult to see.

I came to this belief probably during my early science classes and it is one I have come to confirm through my own experience and learning - including learning about alternate models, three value logic systems, scopes of existence not bound by logic, religious argument and the like. Yet nothing I have come across has managed to provide sufficient evidence to suggest I might be wrong on this most basic principle of how things exist or do not exist within our existence - including our own minds and it is therefore the most single important belief I hold which has proved to be the most critical for me in my understanding of myself and that which is not myself.

I thus developed it to be: Our existence is characterised by logic; if I cannot characterise it with logic, that means I do not understand it; but if it cannot be characterised by logic - then it does not refer to something within our existence.

Which btw does not mean that it does not exist, only that it is not within OUR existence, the dimension or layer of existence in which we are present.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Only one belief of yours that you find the most essential of your life's philosophy.
Do no harm.

Then, explain how you came to learn that.
I've just always been empathetic, as long as I can remember. As a child, I would cry when my brothers got a spanking. As a teen, I was a staunch defender of the gophers that lived in the field, sticking up for them when other kids wanted to kill them.

Straw Dog

Minimize harm.

Then, explain how you came to learn that. Was it passed on? Did you learn it from experience? Did you come to it via reasoning and logic? Etc.

Through experience, I noticed how much I disliked pain from an early age. As I got older, it even became painful to see others suffer, especially through actions of my own. It's only natural that I should now seek to minimize pain and suffering.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe 1 Peter 1:15,16 "you must be holy because I am holy". I learned it while studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses. It is related to all the other directives that are considered Christian. It is something to be sought all the time.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Have compassion for other sentient beings; do not judge; "pay it forward". Help will come to you when you need it. This has been my experience.

lunamoth

Will to love
1 Corinthians 13

New International Version (NIV)

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

That all which can occur, must at some point, somewhere, to someone do so.
The when/where/who is dependant on that interactive context which we call Life.

Through the quantum theoretical analysis of my own [and others] transcendent experiences of reality.

So far, I have yet to encounter a better explanation for how things are understood to be in that state of consciousness. When and if I do, I will obviously need to review my understanding of existence.

Yours humbly,
Hermit

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
My one, core belief is that truth has more inherent value than untruth. Every other aspect of my worldview stems from this.

Aamer

Truth Seeker
There is only ONE creator and he alone is worthy of worship. The entire reason for our existence with free will is to see if we will worship him alone. One God with no partners. So simple yet most humans complicate it.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Please remember to post how you came to learn this. But still, thanks for the replies, I'm still reading'em :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I believe in reincarnation. It has influenced me greatly because I don't view life as a single life, but a continuum. It allows the soul to identify with itself, rather than as a body, or mind. This 'heart of the matter' affects how I behave towards others, what actions I choose, how I perceive actions in those around me, because of 'old soul, young soul' concepts, making me hopefully far more understanding and tolerant, hopefully compassionate. All this from reincarnation. It hits at the core of life on this planet.

Belief in an all pervasive God who is All and in All is there, but it doesn't affect daily moment to moment actions and thoughts the way reincarnation does.

I believe in reincarnation because I remember a past life, and I've seen several souls over two of their physical incarnations, this one, and the last one. But that part's basically irrelevant.

Jupimartian

Ex-Protestant Christian
Don't judge others as superior or inferior.

I have come to this conclusion after of course experiencing the pain of not measuring up myself as well as seeing that others destroy themselves and lash out at others because they think they are dumb, smart, ugly, pretty, successful, losers, lucky, unlucky, saintly, evil, weak, strong, basically any value judgment you can come up with.

I sense so much hatred from this mindset and hope to change it within myself. I also hope to somehow reconcile objectivity with subjectivity. For example, someone may have a smaller waist size than you, and you may think that makes you ugly or gluttonous. I would hope you'd learn to just consider that to be a number. Perhaps it would be a call to action to help you lose weight to become healthier, or perhaps incentive to accept that you were born thicker, but neither are an assertion of your worth or character.

Satyamavejayanti

Go in depth as much or as little as you'd like, but only ONE thing that you believe in that you find the most important out of all of your other beliefs.

Satyamev jayate.... truth shall always win

i learned from experience that it is the right thing to believe in and to practice.

chinu

chinu

I have no beliefs in my life :)