• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Technological and Scientific Advance in relation to religious thought processes

InfidelRiot

I was just thinking upon responding to another thread that technological and scientific advances have both a negative and positive effect on humanity. There are the people who realize that such advances logically eliminate the need for the belief in a deity. Then there are the individuals who inadvertently see the advances as negative and adhere more closely and dangerously to their beliefs in absolute irrational fear of understanding outside of the belief.

What brought this thought process on was the missionary need to convert indigenous cultures, thereby destroying the only religious idea that has no reason to ensure others believe as they do. Power does corrupt.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Well your OP was a statement and not a debate topic.

But anyways, my thoughts on the OP was, I hope you also realize that the majority of us theists are not fundamentalists and embrace technology and science.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well your OP was a statement and not a debate topic.

But anyways, my thoughts on the OP was, I hope you also realize that the majority of us theists are not fundamentalists and embrace technology and science.

I was going to say the same thing.

I was just thinking upon responding to another thread that technological and scientific advances have both a negative and positive effect on humanity. There are the people who realize that such advances logically eliminate the need for the belief in a deity. Then there are the individuals who inadvertently see the advances as negative and adhere more closely and dangerously to their beliefs in absolute irrational fear of understanding outside of the belief.

What brought this thought process on was the missionary need to convert indigenous cultures, thereby destroying the only religious idea that has no reason to ensure others believe as they do. Power does corrupt.

I have noticed some people seem to treat scientific progress as a conspiracy against their religion. Like all scientists are part of some secret society dedicated to eliminating religion. This usually crops up when a pesky scientific fact contradicts religous doctrine.