• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teachings of Bab and Bahaullah

drew22

invisable
When Mohamud died Islam spit in two. One side said, we choose the successor though blood line, the other side said, we choose our successor by election. These were the two original spilts in Islam.
Each time a successor was born from the blood line, that infant would be killed by the oppossing successors. Finally, when it came the 12th infant born to be successor, that infant was hidden away,(most likely), and that is how the, 'hidden Imam', 'Imam Mahdi', or Qaim, began.
During the latter part of the 18th century a great expectation began for the Hidden Imam to return, which this then became a prophecy. There were also ties in the Koran to this prophecy.
A man by the name of Siyyid Ali-Muhammed took the title, 'the Bab', which means, 'the Gate', or 'the Door'. Siyyid Ali-Muhammed did this because he was beginning to recieve visions from God. At first, he said that a great universal prophet was going to come, and he called that, "the one whom God shall make manifest", and he would be the Gate or Door.
Bab, then, changed his position and said that he, was a major prophet, and had some teachings for mankind from God, but continued to preach also about, "the one whom God shall make manifest"
Bab taught universalism. He gathered many followeres, probally because his teachings were so open, and did not separate people because of their religion; all the religions came from God.
At the time of Bab, Iran was a very violent place, because Islam had become very strict, and closed minded. Bab's teachings, although universal in nature,also, demanded violently, that you follow it, as was the atmostphere, in 18th century Iran.
Eventually, Bab was executed by firing squad, because the islamic priests could not understand his message, or see the truth in his teachings.

drew22

invisable
PART TWO

Just before Bab was executed Mirza Yahya Subh-i-=Azal was made Bab's successor. Mirza Yahya Subh-i-Azal was the younger and half-brother of Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri. Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri, took over the leadership and in a historic meeting, declared his spiritual name as Baha, the same spiritual name as Bab used. Baha then declared that he also was a major prophet and that he had some teachings for the world. Baha became known as, Bahaullah, and completed the Bayan. His teachings were the same as Bab's, except, Bahaullah made the teachings less violent and more acceptable for the rest of the world. These two became known as the first twin prophets.

arthra

Baha'i
Drew wrote:

His teachings were the same as Bab's, except, Bahaullah made the teachings less violent and more acceptable for the rest of the world. These two became known as the first twin prophets.

Actually this is an oversimplication and is not accurate.. Baha'u'llah didn't make the teachings of the Bab "more acceptable for the rest of the world"... God revealed through both the Bab and Baha'u'llah we believe but the primary purpose of the Bab was as a Gate to the Glory of God Baha'u'llah. Baha'u'llah fulfilled the promise of the Bab in "Him Whom God will make manifest".

As to Mirza Yahya he was appointed as chief of the Babi community but he was not himself a Prophet of Manifestation. Later in his life he attempted to deny his Brother's Station and was exiled to Cyprus.

If you are going to represent Babi-Baha'i history please strive for more accuracy.

- Art

arthra

Baha'i
Here are some of the teachings of the Baha'i Faith:

Core Beliefs

The principle of the oneness of humankind is the pivot around which all the teachings of Baha'u'llah revolve.
Baha'u'llah taught that humanity, after a long and turbulent adolescence, is at last reaching a stage of maturity in which unity in a global and just society finally can be established.
To this end, the Baha'i Faith prescribes laws of personal morality and behavior, as well as social laws and principles, to establish the oneness of humanity.
Baha'is believe:

• the purpose of life is to know and worship God, to acquire virtues, to promote the oneness of humankind and to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization
  • all humanity was created by one God and is part of one human race
  • work performed in the spirit of service is a form of worship
  • the soul, created at the moment of conception, is destined by God to reach the afterlife, where it will continue to progress until it attains the presence of God
Baha'is practice:

• daily prayer and communion with God
  • high moral principles, including trustworthiness, chastity and honesty
  • independent investigation of truth
  • a life dedicated to the service of humanity
  • fellowship with the followers of all religions
  • avoidance of excessive materialism, partisan politics, backbiting, alcohol, drugs and gambling
(For more information, read a description of Baha'i laws excerpted from A Short Introduction on the Baha'i Faith, by Dr. Moojan Momen.)
Social principles include:

Steinninn

Viking
Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri, took over the leadership and in a historic meeting, declared his spiritual name as Baha, the same spiritual name as Bab used.
So where dose the name Baha come from? Is that more correct then Bahá'í? What's the difference?

arthra

Baha'i
So where dose the name Baha come from? Is that more correct then Bahá'í? What's the difference?

A Baha'i is a follower of "Baha" which means Light and Glory and also was used to refer to Baha'u'llah.

"Baha" was the name that was confirmed by the Bab referring to Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri after the Conference of Badasht in 1848.

See:

In the summer of 1848, eighty-one prominent Babis gathered at the village of Badasht in northwestern Iran to discuss ways of freeing the Bab from his imprisonment in Azerbaijan. Baha'u'llah attended with his brothers, and rented gardens for some of the Babis, such as Tahirih, but largely stayed in the background. He suggested divine names for some of the Babis, in accordance with the Bab's instructions that his followers glorify God in this manner, and it was at this point that he adopted for himself the name Baha', or the divine glory

Source:

Encyclopedia article: Biography of Baha'u'llah

and

The Bab used the word Baha or its derivatives quite frequently in his writings. From his Qayyumu'l-Asma (mid. 1844; the word Baha occurs here about 14 times) until his very late Haykalu'l-Din (summer 1850) it occurs in a variety of contexts. A number of these scriptural texts are related to "Him Whom God will make manifest" or are viewed as prophetic of Baha'u'llah. i.e. "All the Baha of the Bayan is man yuhiruhu'llah" (Per. Bayan III:14). In the Kitab-i Panj Sha'an, ("Book of the Five Grades"), a section of which is dedicated to Baha'u'llah, the Bab several times uses the phrase Baha'u'llah as well as various derivatives of Baha (cf. GPB:28).

Source:

The Most Great Name

His title is Baha'u'llah meaning "Glory of God".

- Art

BruceDLimber

Greetings.

Bab, then, changed his position and said that he, was a major prophet, and had some teachings for mankind from God, but continued to preach also about, "the one whom God shall make manifest"

Where did you get this?!

So far as I understand it, the Bab NEVER "changed His teachings" and always spoke of Him Whom God would make manifest!"

I believe you're extremely mistaken.

Bruce

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

As was mentioned, the Bab awarded Husayn 'Ali the title "Baha'u'llah."

"Baha" means "splendor" or "glory," and the suffix simply forms the adjective, so that "Baha'i" literally means "of Glory." (The apostrophe, BTW, is the transliteration of a <silent> letter that indicates a glottal stop and thus alters the pronunciation slightly.)

And "Baha'u'llah" similarly is a contraction of "Baha" and "Allah" and thus means "Glory of God."

Best regards, and please feel free to ask any further questions! :)

Bruce

drew22

invisable
Where did I get it?, it was right there!

Bab said he was, 'the Bab', then he said he was the Mehdi. It is not that bad Bruce, Bab, said, "I am, I AM, that was a very well known quote.

As I had added, for intrest, in another thread, the word, 'baha', has some other meanings as well.

What you guys might not have heard about it the use of spirtitual names, and it is interesting to know exactly why these people took on names other than there birth names.

The use of spiritual names is a way of helping the spiritual aspirant. As we know in the Vedas teachings that the use of the language of Sanskrit, began the knowledge of the, 'vibration', of words. In the hindu teachings, is explained that the creation is a vibration, of course, modern days we should have no problem with this; everything is a vibration according to physics. This also about mantras, and of course that is why the Greates Name is sacred. The Greatest Name is a sacred virbration, when you say it, I am sure no bahais dissagree with that. So sounds are vibrations, but also the whole universe is a virbration. The most important part about a spiritual name is its meaning. Take a look at the names of the Letters of the Living, and there each meanings. The meanings, such as, 'sweetness', or really any meaning that is God good is fine, but these names were given to the disciples of Bab to help them along on the spiritual journey; to ideate on the meanings all their lives. Also the giving of spiritual names represents a rebirth, that is you are born again into God, and have a new name.

drew22

invisable
Arthra is trying to prove something, that is why all the quotes were added, to prove something.

I think you will find this true that: no one is listening.
That why people have to search for themselves. Lots of people don't even progress though intellect, some are just devoted, some do things, others use intellect. So, everything is not solved though intellect. I just like to talk to everyone, for sure, they will find their way.

drew22

invisable
What I mean is a deeper meaning.

This is how, 'baha', comes out in the abjab script: BHA'

This prophecy originates from the Koran. It is about three predicted personages to come, namely, Bab; being Mehdi, Bahaullah; being Esa, and the third letter, 'A', is known as, "the Alif of the Greatest Name", and the corrosponding name is, Mohhomud.

Bab had said he was the Mehdi and that the was the letter, 'B', in the word, 'baha', and this is where the abjab numerology and lettering comes in too, by Bab, and he is relating it the prophecy about, the three: Mehdi, Esa, Mohhomud.

Bahaullah comes next and he says that he, is the, 'H', of the word, 'baha'. The revelation, then, Bahaullah says, comes from the, "Ba and the Ha". And as we can see, compared to Bab's teachings, Bahaullah's teaching are more like those of Esa, so Bahaullah can take the name, Esa.

Then there is one mystery left, the, 'A', of the word, 'baha', as is known by, "the Alif of the Greatest Name", and the name is called, Mohhomud.

There is the letter, 'A', of the Koran that is a different letter, 'A", or that it has a different meaning, i.e., it is the beginning of the Koran. So, I have being through, this prophecy and it is not that letter, 'A', to speak of, to which Bahaullah also refers to, and because this about three people too, so I don't think you can double-up with Bahauallah as the, 'H', and the, 'A', or even the, 'BHA'.

Here is the best writing I have found about the, BHA.

"77. O SON OF JUSTICE!
In the night-season the beauty of the immortal Being hath repaired from the emerald height of fidelity unto the Sadratu'l-Muntahá, and wept with such a weeping that the concourse on high and the dwellers of the realms above wailed at His lamenting. Whereupon there was asked, Why the wailing and weeping? He made reply: As bidden I waited expectant upon the hill of faithfulness, yet inhaled not from them that dwell on earth the fragrance of fidelity. Then summoned to return I beheld, and lo! certain doves of holiness were sore tried within the claws of the dogs of earth. Thereupon the Maid of heaven hastened forth unveiled and resplendent from Her mystic mansion, and asked of their names, and all were told but one. And when urged, the first letter thereof was uttered, whereupon the dwellers of the celestial chambers rushed forth out of their habitation of glory. And whilst the second letter was pronounced they fell down, one and all, upon the dust. At that moment a voice was heard from the inmost shrine: "Thus far and no farther." Verily We bear witness to that which they have done and now are doing.
" Bahaullah, Hidden Words.