• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taxing corporations to pay for stimulus? Forget it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Manchin cautions infrastructure bill in trouble over corporate tax hikes - CNNPolitics

Joe Manchin gives Biden's infrastructure proposal a thumbs down

Like this was unexpected. Not.

One thing for sure, like always, its going to yet fall again on the middle class to carry the economic weight of policymaking.

When will people learn that promises are consistently empty and the status quo will continue as always.

The middle class and working poor will see their taxes go up. Like usual. With all the excuses. A lot.

Count on it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm beyond tired of corporations not paying any taxes and even if they do pay a pittance, paying a smaller percentage than I do. And that goes double for the super wealthy who don't need to work for a living and spend their days in sybaritic excess.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm beyond tired of corporations not paying any taxes and even if they do pay a pittance, paying a smaller percentage than I do. And that goes double for the super wealthy who don't need to work for a living and spend their days in sybaritic excess.
It really bummed me out to discover that I payed more in taxes than several fortune 500 companies put together.

So much for the corporations are people garbage.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, going by the OP, the fact that there are some large corporations paying $0 in federal taxes is all fine & dandy while the rest of us have to pay more to make up the difference?

Secondly, please explain how the infrastructure will miraculously be repaired and expanded without people and businesses paying for it?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Manchin cautions infrastructure bill in trouble over corporate tax hikes - CNNPolitics

One thing for sure, like always, its going to yet fall again on the middle class to carry the economic weight of policymaking.

When will people learn that promises are consistently empty and the status quo will continue as always.

The middle class and working poor will see their taxes go up. Like usual. With all the excuses. A lot.

Count on it.
What do you propose as an alternative?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I urge caution about believing all the hype in the media.
Notice that they provide no financial analysis, & carp
about this or that company in this or that year. They
don't make profit every year, & things like carry forward
losses are complexities that non-business people don't
understand at all.
Just like some conservatives who are anti-science,
there are liberals who are anti-financial analysis.

We will have to increase taxes to pay for the massive
spending increase, lest inflation cause greater problems.
Taxing "corporations" (really, businesses of all forms
of ownership) shouldn't be done without considering
the consequences, eg, possible flight overseas.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have issues with the super-wealthy not paying their fair share of taxes (or often any tax at all), but I'm generally fine with corporations not paying income tax.

Ultimately, any corporation is just owned by individuals; I think it makes more sense - at least for income tax - to have those individuals pay the tax directly instead of having this hidden indirect taxation.

Now... there are other taxes I think corporations should pay: for instance, I think money should be taxed as it's taken out of the country, and of course employers should contribute the employer's share of the cost of social benefits for their employees.

... but corporate profits that will ultimately flow to an individual who will be (or ought to be) taxed? Just tax the individual, IMO.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ultimately, any corporation is just owned by individuals; I think it makes more sense - at least for income tax - to have those individuals pay the tax directly instead of having this hidden indirect taxation.

"Corporations are people, my friend" according to one theory. If they're people they should pay taxes accordingly.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I propose getting rid of personal deductions,
eg, interest, property taxes. It's not a solution,
just part of one.

Get rid of all taxes except a VAT for business. Along with that, a simple VAT with no special breaks for this and that. Zero special breaks.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Get rid of all taxes except a VAT for business. Along with that, a simple VAT with no special breaks for this and that. Zero special breaks.
What breaks are "special"?

Would you have companies pay this VAT on materials they use to make products - or provide services - that they then pay VAT on in turn?

Pete in Panama

If they're people, it's illegal to own them.
--but does that mean if a corporation breaks the law then nobody should go to jail?
"Corporations are people, my friend" according to one theory. If they're people they should pay taxes accordingly.
--however those people already DO pay taxes on their income, sales taxes, property taxes, etc., the argument is that the one fifth of corporate profits that (on average) goes to taxes had already been paid many times over by the owners.

My personal take is that the reason we tax rich people so much is simple, they got the money. The point however is that we need to be honest about it and be willing to admit that the rich do in fact carry the lion's share of the tax burden.

Suave

Simulated character

Count on it.
In order to prevent corporations from tax avoidance, I, d like a wealth tax imposed on corporations in order to have them help fund infrastructure improvements.