• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taliban leader in Afghanistan says women will be stoned to death in public.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope. Not I. I don't see how one can be a liberal (in the classical sense) and not be absolutely at odds with these people.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Nice guy. Anyone want to think this is an acceptable legitimate government since the pull out?

From the article:

The United Nations has strongly criticised the Taliban and has called on the country’s rulers to halt such practices.

I guess that's about the best they can do at this point. I don't think very many people want to put together another coalition to invade Afghanistan again. They should have pulled out once they determined the fate of Osama Bin Laden, who was the whole reason for going in there in the first place. But they chose to stay, and it made things worse.

It should also be noted that the U.S. government helped them back in the 1980s against the Soviets. They were the "good guys" back then, before they turned into "bad guys." Saudi Arabia is also considered "good guys," even though their practices aren't that much different from the Taliban.

I can't say whether they're the "acceptable legitimate government," although there was a time when the U.S. did support them, as noted above. In any case, they are ostensibly in charge of the country at present, for better or worse (and it appears to be worse). They're doing what they're doing because they can, and no one at present is willing or able to stop them.

libre

Skylark
Anyone want to think this is an acceptable legitimate government since the pull out?
I think it's meaningful to point out that 'legitimate' and 'acceptable' are not the same thing.
However in this case it would seem that neither are appropriate.

I do however feel compelled to say the US backed government was not desirable, legitimate, or sustainable.

F1fan

Veteran Member

Nice guy. Anyone want to think this is an acceptable legitimate government since the pull out?
It's their nation.

Theocracies tend to be very conservative and rigid. Are you suggesting Trump made a mistake by setting a date for a pull out? Or should the USA have never tried to occupy the nation in the first place?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
If there was a reason for the UN to step in to uphold human rights then this place is one, but such could so easily spread.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What would you propose they do here?
No idea, but it seems that one nation doing anything usually comes to naught. Not as if one can force democracy on a nation - even if theocracies or dictatorships seem to be able to do this - as in Iran and here.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hi h

People knew what was coming. Regardless of who to blame for it.
Actually, no one did know in advance.
Back when the government first fell, & people
argued that obviously USA should've stayed
there longer, I wondered if it really was so
obvious. I searched the internet for news.
I found no one predicting the government
would quickly fall.