• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swiss government rejects call to abolish the crime of blasphemy

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
See?
If one person does a bad thing some folks want to shout out about the whole religion.

Switzerland has figured that out for sure. :)
I do not understand this concept. With all due respect.
If I say that the Vatican is rotten to the core...I as a Catholic do not feel targeted nor I feel insulted.
Nor my Catholic friends.

Because I deeply believe in certain Christian principles that make me condemn those who disrespect them within my religious community.

But certain religions (and it is a given) have the Us/Them complex, meaning: we are all good, regardless of our actions. They are all bad, regardless of their actions.

So I do not understand these double standards...when it comes to law.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What about if millions of people do a bad thing, and it is driven by their beliefs?
Which millions of people?

You do appear to hate Islam so much, Daniel. There was never a decent reason to stuff nasty pictures of Muhammud over the media in the first place.

You seem to want permission to upset millions of Muslims because of what some Muslims have done.

Switzerland clearly has this nailed down and it's a good humane decision.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I do not understand this concept. With all due respect.
If I say that the Vatican is rotten to the core...I as a Catholic do not feel targeted nor I feel insulted.
Nor my Catholic friends.

Because I deeply believe in certain Christian principles that make me condemn those who disrespect them within my religious community.

But certain religions (and it is a given) have the Us/Them complex, meaning: we are all good, regardless of our actions. They are all bad, regardless of their actions.

So I do not understand these double standards...when it comes to law.
If Muslims have committed crimes then such cases can be published.

Harassment of millions of people should be outlawed. Even France outlaws media harassment of one religion, so why not all?

Switzerland got this right.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What religion?
Wow! You didn't know....
Just writing something against Semitism or Zionism and see what happens to you. :)

But the French don't care about Muslims, it seems, so they are fair game. Upset them and then, if one nutter among them reacts badly, every Muslim can be branded.

Switzerland has got this right.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Wow! You didn't know....
Just writing something against Semitism or Zionism and see what happens to you. :)

But the French don't care about Muslims, it seems, so they are fair game. Upset them and then, if one nutter among them reacts badly, every Muslim can be branded.

Switzerland has got this right.

There is a misunderstanding, then.;)
You are confusing two things.
You are confusing religion with believers.

When I said that there is the right to criticize a religion, I underlined "religion" and not "believers".

Speaking of Judaism, we have so many writers (many of whom atheists, I acknowledge that) who criticize so many theological principles from the Bible (criticizing many aspects of Judaism too).

One can do that with any religion.
What one cannot do is spreading racial or religious hatred. That is targeting a religious group, a religious community whose freedom of religion is protected under the Constitution. And it is a sacred right.

I hope this distinction is clear to you:)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There is a misunderstanding, then.;)
You are confusing two things.
You are confusing religion with believers.

When I said that there is the right to criticize a religion, I underlined "religion" and not "believers".

Speaking of Judaism, we have so many writers (many of whom atheists, I acknowledge that) who criticize so many theological principles from the Bible (criticizing many aspects of Judaism too).

One can do that with any religion.
What one cannot do is spreading racial or religious hatred. That is targeting a religious group, a religious community whose freedom of religion is protected under the Constitution. And it is a sacred right.

I hope this distinction is clear to you:)
No it isn't!
Now why do you want to support people who deliberately publish pictures which upset millions of people?
Why do you want to do that?
That isn't free speech it's deliberate provocative harassment.

It's nasty. But then I think that the French are nasty towards Muslims.

That stuff is banned on the UK.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No it isn't!
Now why do you want to support people who deliberately publish pictures which upset millions of people?
Why do you want to do that?
That isn't free speech it's deliberate provocative harassment.

It's nasty. But then I think that the French are nasty towards Muslims.

That stuff is banned on the UK.

Are we speaking of Charlie Hebdo?
Charlie Hebdo's most "challenging" pictures were about Christianity. Jesus Christ...nuns...the Pope...
And even if a Christian protested, the French state and the Republic will ignore these protests since the freedom of thought is sacred in France
;)

No religion can get a privileged treatment that reduces freedom of thought of the press.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Are we speaking of Charlie Hebdo?
Charlie Hebdo's most "challenging" pictures were about Christianity. Jesus Christ...nuns...the Pope...
And even if a Christian protested, the French state and the Republic will ignore these protests since the freedom of thought is sacred in France
;)

No religion can get a privileged treatment that reduces freedom of thought of the press.
And what if Hebdo had made fun of Moses, or the Jews, eh?

This is simple. If it is known that a group of people can be very upset by a picture then I think such action should be outlawed, and a few countries agree with me.... I'm not alone Estro.

What exactly was the point of publishing such a picture? ???

I think Hebdo used it for attention and sales of mags. Nasty .....

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And what if Hebdo had made fun of Moses, or the Jews, eh?

This is simple. If it is known that a group of people can be very upset by a picture then I think such action should be outlawed, and a few countries agree with me.... I'm not alone Estro.

What exactly was the point of publishing such a picture? ???

I think Hebdo used it for attention and sales of mags. Nasty .....

Look...I studied law. Law cannot have exceptions because it would be unjust and unfair if it had them.
France, Italy, Spain have all juridic traditions where the freedom of thought is absolute, with no exceptions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
interpretation must come into it. but there are several stages before any sort of court case. It is rare for this law to cause any problems.
Well I'm glad that in Ameristan I have the unlimited
right to insult everything sacred to you & yours.
I don't really exercise it enuf. Gotta work on that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Look...I studied law. Law cannot have exceptions because it would be unjust and unfair if it had them.
France, Italy, Spain have all juridic traditions where the freedom of thought is absolute, with no exceptions.
Look..... I studied law, and the freedom of thought is nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the issues here.

Switzerland hasn't banned freedom of thought. !!?! Amazing idea.

But it is unlawful where I live to communicate in any way that can invite or provoke crimes, to bribe, to blackmail, to harass, to victimise, to deceive or to bully......
That's just for starters, and the clauses in our equality act ban similar a rooms that Switzerland has banned.

If you desperately want the right to upset Muslims by publishing pictures of Muhammud then France is for you.

But you can think what you like free from lawsuit ...... Anywhere!

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Look..... I studied law, and the freedom of thought is nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the issues here.

Switzerland hasn't banned freedom of thought. !!?! Amazing idea.

But it is unlawful where I live to communicate in any way that can invite or provoke crimes, to bribe, to blackmail, to harass, to victimise, to deceive or to bully......
That's just for starters, and the clauses in our equality act ban similar a rooms that Switzerland has banned.

If you desperately want the right to upset Muslims by publishing pictures of Muhammud then France is for you.

But you can think what you like free from lawsuit ...... Anywhere!

I deeply respect your views but here the press is sacred and journalism is the real tool of democracy. The instrument that empowers people.
Art. 21 Italian Constitution
Anyone has the right to freely express their thoughts in speech, writing or any other form of communication. The press may not be subjected to any authorisation or censorship.

As you can see...there are no exceptions. There is no censorship in my country...and I am saddened that the United Kingdom has gone backwards just to please a religious group.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And I will repeat it once again.
The Italian penal law reacts only when the rights of a determined, living person are violated.

If Charlie Hebdo draw a person who existed 1400 years ago or so...that is allowed.
Because that person cannot come to court to sue the newspaper/magazine.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I deeply respect your views but here the press is sacred and journalism is the real tool of democracy. The instrument that empowers people.
Art. 21 Italian Constitution
Art 724 Blasphemy is a crime in Italy.

There are several other laws which control speech, writing, film etc

you can see...there are no exceptions. There is no censorship in my country..
!!!

I am saddened that the United Kingdom has gone backwards just to please a religious group.
We never did any such thing.
We simply wanted to offer Equality and protection to all.

Where did you study law?
Was it in Italy?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
And I will repeat it once again.
The Italian penal law reacts only when the rights of a determined, living person are violated.

If Charlie Hebdo draw a person who existed 1400 years ago or so...that is allowed.
Because that person cannot come to court to sue the newspaper/magazine.
See post 39. :)