• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swiss government rejects call to abolish the crime of blasphemy

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Art 724 Blasphemy is a crime in Italy.

There are several other laws which control speech, writing, film etc
We never did any such thing.
We simply wanted to offer Equality and protection to all.
Where did you study law?
Was it in Italy?
Art 724 was depenalized and now it is applied only when someone calls a deity vulgar names (excluding prophets, saints...etc) in public. Who gets just a fine, btw.
It is more a law against vulgarity...that's all...

Btw... @oldbadger I deeply respect how you defend the juridic approach of your country.:)
I need to defend the juridic tradition of France and Italy because I studied on the basis of that tradition.
I believe a middle way is always the solution.
I think polite criticism of religion is one thing. And it is worth respecting. Vulgar satire can be disliked (I do dislike it) but the secular law protects it.

I like debating with you, btw;):)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Art 724 was depenalized and now it is applied only when someone calls a deity vulgar names (excluding prophets, saints...etc) in public. Who gets just a fine, btw.
It is more a law against vulgarity...that's all...

Btw... @oldbadger I deeply respect how you defend the juridic approach of your country.:)
I need to defend the juridic tradition of France and Italy because I studied on the basis of that tradition.
I believe a middle way is always the solution.
I think polite criticism of religion is one thing. And it is worth respecting. Vulgar satire can be disliked (I do dislike it) but the secular law protects it.

I like debating with you, btw;):)
Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, debate can be uplifting and interesting.
I like exchanging posts with you. :)

Our countries do have different cultures etc. I think we've always been in friction with France. :)

danieldemol

Premium Member
Which millions of people?
The millions of people who support death for blasphemy in places like Pakistan and Iran for a start.

[/quote]You do appear to hate Islam so much[/quote]
You wish I hate Islam. Being a critic of something doesn't mean I hate it, it just means I disagree. If disagreeing with something means you hate it then you must really hate France because you sure disagree with France's decision to post pictures of Muhammad.
There was never a decent reason to stuff nasty pictures of Muhammud over the media in the first place.
Have you (or anyone else) asked the posters of the pictures what their reasons where or did you just assume they had no decent reason for doing so?

Switzerland clearly has this nailed down and it's a good humane decision.
There is nothing humane about prevention of beliefs from being criticised, to do so allows bad ideas which are harmful to humanity to flourish, and this is inhumane.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I think we should not criticize religions. Wrong actions done by religions we should be able to criticize though, without being punished for it.:D

It is a right...it is freedom of thought, to criticize ideologies, religions, sects...etc...
Not all rights are Dharmic Rights. In the West there are many human rights that are not Dharmic Rights.

Why we should not criticize religions is easy to see

There is the Religion of Love (and mother symbolizes Love)
Many people consider "religion (about your soul, don't forget) to be Father or Mother".

IF your mother (or you) has a deformity, how would you like it if others mock her worldwide for that. Comes close to discrimination also

Zaha Torte

'Last week, Switzerland’s parliament rejected by 115 votes to 48 a proposal to abolish the crime of blasphemy in Switzerland.

Beat Flach proposed the motion, arguing that defining blasphemy as a crime places limits on free speech. We should not punish people for criticising religion, believes Flach. Instead he thinks Switzerland should send a strong signal in favour of liberty of expression....'

Read more here: Swiss government rejects call to abolish the crime of blasphemy
That's disturbing. What even is "blasphemy" by their standards?