• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survey Finds General Rejection Of Religion

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
Not really a big surprise. I wonder if this is good news or bad news. Seems to me that the Christians, live everyone else, are polarizing. I can't believe this to be good. I'd be happier if there were fewer Evangelicals and more "mainstream" Christians myself.

The polarization in America is gonna end in another war.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, rejection of religion doesn't mean rejection of theism. Of course, American culture is very materialistic, selfish, and impatient: quite the opposite of what all religions teach.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"No affiliation with religion" does not necessarily mean "atheist," either.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Seems like more people are waking up from the "Matrix". Blue pill or red pill?

Still, I feel there will be fluctuations where the numbers change from time to time. I do agree with Cobblestones that there will be more polarization whereas demographically there will be notable concentrations in which a specific religion may abide and be noticed. Much like the Amish (in PA) or Mormons (in UT) do already. The Bible belt may get smaller in the future, but I surmise it will still be around in the form of more concentrated communities of like minded individuals.

Amill

Apikoros
I don't care about people becoming atheists but it does make me happy to hear that the country is becoming less religious.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't care about people becoming atheists but it does make me happy to hear that the country is becoming less religious.
I dunno.... Seems to me it'll just polarize things further, as was mentioned.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Hardly. America is not the most intelligent country in the world; quite the contrary. "Less religious" doesn't really mean much.

Besides, America is still full of fanboys and fangirls. If the religious fanatics go away, they'll be replaced by people who worship movie stars, bad romance books/movies, reality shows, terrible singers, magazine CG models, etc... already such people outnumber the religious.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Hardly. America is not the most intelligent country in the world; quite the contrary. "Less religious" doesn't really mean much.

Besides, America is still full of fanboys and fangirls. If the religious fanatics go away, they'll be replaced by people who worship movie stars, bad romance books/movies, reality shows, terrible singers, magazine CG models, etc... already such people outnumber the religious.
I was just going to make the same response. Organized religion may go out of style but it looks like faith is here to stay.

On another note, when I visitied all those churches for those "Roving Reverend" reports I did for the RF newsletter, I noticed that there was an abundance of elderly people occupying the pews. I was thinking, if all these elderly people were to pass away, who would the pastor be performing mass to? Maybe this is a concern of generation.

While I don't know a lot about him as many others do, Weber's concepts seem to have some relevance to this. More specifically, he conceptualized a theoretcial iron cage that leads to extinguishing human diversity (or at least altering it significantly) because of the power of science and bureaucracy. He envisioned that religions come about as a way to cope with this excessive power of science and bureaucracy by burying one's head in the sand and pretending it's all gone away.

I know this isn't about Weber, however, it seems that people are becoming more accustomed to science and bureaucracy (something Weber predicted and was very worried about). This makes you wonder, regardless if Weber is right or not, will science effectively squash out religion? To be clear, I don't believe faith in general will be extinguished by humanity itself and so my question is about a specific form of faith, religion. I think there will be concentrations of people that stick to their religious beliefs but do you think they'll eventually be squashed out too?

The potential danger I see in this is that those who stay with their religions will be the more devoted ones.

Also, since the "baby-boom generation" is aging and dying off, I wonder if these numbers are merely an indicator of that transistory phase from the "baby-boomers" dying off and the newer generation rising. So is that all these numbers represent or is there an alternate reason and meaning, such as the domination of science and bureaucracy in Western culture?

andys

Andys
At least this survey indicates a welcome step in the right direction.
And if you Americans have to gush over some mythical being, better it be a movie star, who is relatively harmless, opposed to a supernatural being, who locks your mind in the dark ages.

Morse

To Extinguish
At least this survey indicates a welcome step in the right direction.
And if you Americans have to gush over some mythical being, better it be a movie star, who is relatively harmless, opposed to a supernatural being, who locks your mind in the dark ages.

Congrats.

I'm so glad you're happy.

A decrease in religious beliefs doesn't mean intelligence is emerging.

Beginning with those who had a reptillian brain over four million years ago the intelligence level of an average man has continued to increase. It follows normally that superstition will gradually diminish until it no longer exists. I'd say we're on track for complete rejection by the year 2150.

Beginning with those who had a reptillian brain over four million years ago the intelligence level of an average man has continued to increase.

This thread is about the results from a modern-day survey about modern-day humans. Reptiles and human evolution from them is irrelevant.

It follows normally that superstition will gradually diminish until it no longer exists.

Perhaps, however, saying that a decrease in religion is evidence of increased intelligence is what I was referring to as being inconclusive. Faith will exist whether it be in religion or elsewhere and I find it hard to believe that faith will become non-existent in humans because science involves some amount of faith in that since we don't know everything there is to know about the universe. Although there are tests to verify and validate various theories and hypothoses, there is still a small amount of faith lurking in the background. Since you brought up evolution, I'll use that as an example. There is faith within science that TOE is likely correct and there are reasons to support why TOE is likely correct. Faith is subjective and as much as science attempts to remove it, there is still a small amount left.

While superstition may indeed die off, the source of it, faith, likely will not.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Beginning with those who had a reptillian brain over four million years ago the intelligence level of an average man has continued to increase. It follows normally that superstition will gradually diminish until it no longer exists. I'd say we're on track for complete rejection by the year 2150.

What if intelligence (or its lack) is not significately linked to faith?