• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court takes up Trump's immunity appeal

F1fan

Veteran Member
As of right now, the potential for a massive Biden win doesn't look very good. Polling -- never a particularly good indicator -- certainly suggests not. Still, the one thing we can hope for is that people who are essentially good at heart will, once they're alone in the voting booth, will finally say "I just can't vote Trump -- it's not right!" If that happens often enough (and I think it could) you might get your wish.
The thing is whether we can trust the undecided voters. Of they are still unsure then it’s embarrassing.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The thing is whether we can trust the undecided voters. Of they are still unsure then it’s embarrassing.
The thing that gives me hope most is the undecideds. To be undecided means not knee-jerk committed to a party, but to be (perhaps) a little more likely to think about who one is actually voting for, and what they stand for.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Most of all, however, I wonder whether Trump has considered this: if the Court were to come down on the side of absolute Presidential immunity, Biden would then be immune from the consequences of ignoring habeas corpus (or any other law) and locking him up and throwing away the key -- along with any other action he might conceive of that could prevent Trump running or winning an election.
I imagine his lawyers have considered this, and they feel certain that Presidential immunity will not be granted. This was a ploy to delay, delay, delay. There is no reason at all that immunity would be granted. The justices knew this, and in the best case scenario don't care what bad consequences may ensue, but want to be the center of attention, and at worst, are doing Trump a favor.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the Supreme court could have heard arguments within a short time period, but instead chose to hear arguments in the week of April 22nd. All of this, whatever the motive, is a dereliction of duty by them.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I find this horrifying. I honestly thought better of Chief Justice Roberts. But now, I think that the Court is defintely rogue, and will severely damage citizens' trust in it. Roberts is not going to go down well in the history of the Court.
Yes, the court is rogue. Trust in the court will go down and the rule of law will diminish. Trust in the rule of law was already diminished by Trump, and other sources of disinformation. We are in for a bumpy ride.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The thing that gives me hope most is the undecideds. To be undecided means not knee-jerk committed to a party, but to be (perhaps) a little more likely to think about who one is actually voting for, and what they stand for.
I have a different view of the undecideds. If you're still unsure about whether to vote for Trump or Biden, then you're not paying attention, which is an intellectual failure. I know that you don't vote in American elections, but I certain that you are firmly anti-Trump, not undecided.

Of course, that's better than those who have decided for Trump already, which I see as a moral failing. Every decent, patriotic, and relatively informed voter should already understand what a second Trump presidency will entail and reject that. Conservatives like Romney, Cheney, and Kinzinger have, the unelected conservatives who created the Lincoln Project (Steve Scmidt et al), and no doubt many conservative voters would not vote for Trump, but unfortunately, they are outnumbered by MAGA politicians and voters.

But in my opinion, anybody still undecided now will be undecided on election day as well and either not vote or vote at random. Like I said, I prefer that to MAGAs, but to be undecided at this point tells me that one won't cast an intelligent vote in November.

Some say that they are waiting to see if Trump has been criminally convicted before they choose against him by staying home or voting for Biden, which is a cut above the undecideds who stand head and shoulders above MAGAs, but I don't have much confidence in the judgment of such people if they need a jury to convict Trump in criminal court before they reject him. And they'll likely have that before the election. The first criminal trial is scheduled to begin this month, although it doesn't seem impossible that the Court will help their buddy there as well and somehow delay that trial as well.

But yeah, if presidents are given full immunity, not that he would, but Biden could disappear Trump on day one and then he could go round up rogue Supreme Court justices the next day beginning with Thomas and Alito, which should generate enough of a chill to help the other conservatives on the Court "see reason." Hopefully, they understand that when they issue their ruling.

But yes, the Court is corrupt because the Republican party is corrupt, and that's because of the incessant conservative indoctrination of an insufficiently sophisticated electorate that began with repealing the Fairness Doctrine. My take is that MAGA will eventually control the federal government and the country, and when that happens, it will be indefinitely.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I
The more I think about this, the more I'm beginning to suspect (read "realize") that SCOTUS is now politicized and acting contrary to their mandate. Put these three facts together, do a little analysis, and tell me if you don't agree:
  1. Jack Smith, anticipating a claim of "absolute immunity" asked the Court to take the question up expediently. The Court declined. This favours Trump
  2. Trump appealed the Colorado Supreme Court's decision to remove him from the ballot. The Court took that up with all due expedience. This favours Trump
  3. The Court has scheduled oral arguments for April 22 -- many weeks in the future, so hardly expeditiously -- with no hint as to when a decision will be made. This favours Trump's desire for as much delay as possible, with an election looming.
  4. Regarding the last point, the Court is almost certain to deny "absolute immunity," and so could have declined to take the case at all, because the Third District Appellate Court gave a unanimous, definitive argument, which the Court could have accepted on its merits, which would have allowed the trial to continue. This favours Trump.
I find this horrifying. I honestly thought better of Chief Justice Roberts. But now, I think that the Court is defintely rogue, and will severely damage citizens' trust in it. Roberts is not going to go down well in the history of the Court.
I find this horrifying as well.

Over the weekend I was thinking that the American people should have the right to have this adjudicated before the election, so they can make an actual informed choice for President. It's something of a travesty that it now looks like none of this will happen before the election and Trump is just going to skate by yet again using these delay tactics. It's absurd.