• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court finds officers covered by 'qualified immunity' in two cases

If you're part of a violent mob that has illegally stormed a building and is attempting to barge through where officials have barricaded themselves in, in what reality do you think you won't be shot if you're the first one through a barricaded door? In what reality is charging someone--especially when you are part of a violent mob-- through a busted in window not supposed to be interpreted as a threat?
I watched the video of the scene and posted it a while back, in the beginning the hall was full of people and looks like they all left because when Ashli went through the door the officer had already had his gun drawn and pointed, there was another guy walking around the hall like no big deal, everyone else was gone. When she goes through the door he shot her. She wasn’t armed and after she was shot you can see armed men coming up the stairs that looked like a swat team. It all looked staged, the videographer I believe was also an instigator and a plant posing as a trump supporter, there was a guard who also was at the door one moment and then just leaves. All looked staged.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
"It looks staged" seems a useful shorthand to communicate to people "I don't believe it happened, even though I literally saw it happen in front of my own two eyes, and I have no evidence or rational reason to believe it didn't".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How does qualified immunity work?
It's complicated & evolving.
This interesting video covers a SCOTUS decision
regarding a prisoner forced to sleep naked on the
floor in a cold cell with raw sewage backing up into
it. The ruling reversed a prior SCOTUS trend of ever
increasing immunity for cops.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news....
11th Circuit: Officer Granted Qualified Immunity After Shooting Innocent Homeowner at Wrong Address
Excerpted....
In June of 2016 in Henry County, Georgia. Police sergeant Patrick Snook arrived at the wrong house and shot and killed the innocent homeowner, William David Powell, standing in his driveway. Sharon Powell, his wife, fled a federal civil rights lawsuit alleging excessive force against the officer. The Northern District of GA ultimately granted Summary Judgment in favor of the officer, granting him qualified immunity from standing trial in the civil case. She appealed to the 11th Circuit, which issued a published opinion on February 8.

The full opinion is in the link (no paywall).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In the news....
11th Circuit: Officer Granted Qualified Immunity After Shooting Innocent Homeowner at Wrong Address
Excerpted....
In June of 2016 in Henry County, Georgia. Police sergeant Patrick Snook arrived at the wrong house and shot and killed the innocent homeowner, William David Powell, standing in his driveway. Sharon Powell, his wife, fled a federal civil rights lawsuit alleging excessive force against the officer. The Northern District of GA ultimately granted Summary Judgment in favor of the officer, granting him qualified immunity from standing trial in the civil case. She appealed to the 11th Circuit, which issued a published opinion on February 8.

The full opinion is in the link (no paywall).
That's why I'm overall not optimistic about police reform. Until qualified immunity is struck none of us are safe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Qualified immunity is not in the Constitution.
It was invented by SCOTUS in 1967.
Qualified immunity - Wikipedia
Whaddaya wanna bet that the theocratic justices
won't reverse this decision, eh.

**** the cops.
**** the court.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those interested in how qualified immunity
works, this video shows 1 case about obsecene
sexual speech, with an explanation of how it
applied this time,, & how it might not in the future.

There is ultra-mild profanity.