• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supernatural encounters

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
From D&C 129

1 There are two kinds of beings in heaven, namely: Angels, who are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones—
2 For instance, Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
3 Secondly: the spirits of just men made perfect, they who are not resurrected, but inherit the same glory.
4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.
5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.
6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear—
7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message.
8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.
9 These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God.

From D&C 129

1 There are two kinds of beings in heaven, namely: Angels, who are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones—
2 For instance, Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
3 Secondly: the spirits of just men made perfect, they who are not resurrected, but inherit the same glory.
4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.
5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.
6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear—
7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message.
8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.
9 These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God.
What source is this from,its little confusing to me

The place it happened was built over a kind of spring,a natural fountain,there was a special floor built over it to prevent the water flowing through the basement.Is that significant?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
What source is this from,its little confusing to me

It's from the Doctrine and Covenants. Part of the LDS canon scriptures. It's telling us the way we can tell if a spirit is really a messenger of God or not.
It says that if you encounter a spirit that could be from God put out your hand and ask to shake hands. Touching it would probably work as well. If it is an angel you will feel it's hand. If it is simply a spirit of a good person they will not accept the request to shake hands. Because to offer to shake hands would be an attempt to decieve you by making you think it could actually shake hands. It will just deliver it's message. But if it is a spirit not from God but pretending to be, then the spirit will offer you it's hand but you wont feel anytthing. That way you can determine if the spirit is actually from God or not.

Melancholy

異端者
To fully understand what happened to you, more details need to be forthcoming about your experience.

What did this angel look like
Did it speak to you.
were you awake and did this happen during the day or the evening.
without more details then people can't really help you.

I look forward to your experience and will try to answer and help, or if I can't I'm sure somebody else will.:)

Nanda

Polyanna
Did you think that up all by youself? It was not sewerage,trust me.

I was being serious. You didn't specify. And I wasn't thinking sewage, I was thinking natural gas. Natural gases come up from the earth, and I figured since you were talking about a natural fountain, it was possible. Yeesh...

I was being serious. You didn't specify. And I wasn't thinking sewage, I was thinking natural gas. Natural gases come up from the earth, and I figured since you were talking about a natural fountain, it was possible. Yeesh...
Oh sorry then for that rudeness.I am always having to defend myself from atheist input on other forums.Forgive me? there were no fumes just water.

Troublemane

It says that if you encounter a spirit that could be from God put out your hand and ask to shake hands. Touching it would probably work as well. If it is an angel you will feel it's hand. If it is simply a spirit of a good person they will not accept the request to shake hands.

I don't think this will work with a non-corporeal being, although now that you mention it, the angels that have visited me in the past did actually touch me. In fact they put their hands on me and through me in order to heal me, but I never got a clear look at them. Hmmm, thats interesting:---I just agreed with an LDS on matters of mysticism!

To fully understand what happened to you, more details need to be forthcoming about your experience.

What did this angel look like
Did it speak to you.
were you awake and did this happen during the day or the evening.
without more details then people can't really help you.

I look forward to your experience and will try to answer and help, or if I can't I'm sure somebody else will.:)
It did not look like a being,it was a force of some kind,an omnipotent force is my best description.I was feeling sick at the time as I did fairly often in that house,I was never sick like that after we moved from that place.I was in bed,awake during the day.first i heard a sound like a sonic boom but far away gradually increasing untill it was unbarably loud,I was eight years old at the time.I started to panic and ran out of the room into the passage and it felt like the whole house was about to fall down and then i saw an "I" as in when you speak about yourself,It was in the centre of a quickly expanding force that to me resembled rising bread dough and it was filling the whole passage and expanding towards me.it was the most consuming thing,I felt there was no ways i was going to escape it.so I ran and hid in and eventually it was silent.I think experienced shear animal terror,it still freaks me out.

Troublemane

Yes, more details please. An angel can be frightening in countenance because its not part of our normal experience. The Lord him/her/itself has appeared to me on one occasion, and I was thrown down to the ground in prostration. It was only looking at me, but that being had such a powerful presence it bowled me over just by being there. So ya, I know it can be scary. But its quite disticnt from anything demonic, which tend to appear as phantoms---they have no physical aspect. I would say that demons are perhaps totally imaginary, being just projections/externalizations of fear/negative emotions. (I actually no longer believe in the devil or demons as objective beings)

I would say however that angels do exist, and may be described not as physical but super-physical. As if they are extra-dimensional beings, can pass their hands through matter, etc.

Troublemane

It did not look like a being,it was a force of some kind,an omnipotent force is my best description.I was feeling sick at the time as I did fairly often in that house,I was never sick like that after we moved from that place.I was in bed,awake during the day.first i heard a sound like a sonic boom but far away gradually increasing untill it was unbarably loud,I was eight years old at the time.I started to panic and ran out of the room into the passage and it felt like the whole house was about to fall down and then i saw an "I" as in when you speak about yourself,It was in the centre of a quickly expanding force that to me resembled rising bread dough and it was filling the whole passage and expanding towards me.it was the most consuming thing,I felt there was no ways i was going to escape it.so I ran and hid in and eventually it was silent.I think experienced shear animal terror,it still freaks me out.
Sounds very similar to many OBE's I have heard. People tend to freak out when they feel themselves about to leave their body. Also loud noises are generally experienced as well. The description you gave of the being is ectoplasmic, so it may have been the actual form of an angel or a powerful astral being of some sort.

It may have been coming to heal you (angels do heal people often, they are attracted to suffering), and you simply started to leave your body and could sense it--which must have been a surprise, especially for one so young.

Troublemane

...unless it was a ghost. sometimes they can be attached to people or places. was your sense of the thing negative? did you feel like it was there to devour you, or was the fear simpky a response to the unknown?

...unless it was a ghost. sometimes they can be attached to people or places. was your sense of the thing negative? did you feel like it was there to devour you, or was the fear simpky a response to the unknown?
I believe that if it wanted to devour me it would have and i may not be as fearfull if it happened again.

Troublemane

Cool, so maybe it was just an astral presence whose very appearance overwhelmed your young mind! thats great! Perhaps talking about it is a way of opening up to the possiblity of communing with spirit more often? Maybe this is signalling you are ready to have more personal encounters with the divine.
:)

Melancholy

異端者
In hebrew times angels were not seen as heavenly bodies with wings, it was only when christianity was born from Constantine that angels were depicted with wings, so most people can see angels , but they don't have to have wings. Even gabriel was seen as a man without wings.
We all have personal gaurdian angels that come to us in times of need or sickness, maybe this was an angel and was looking after you, but at such a young age as you were, you couldn't understand what this thing or being was.

Angels for most part are incorporeal and can only be seen if God allows it.When they are seen they can take on any shape or form they or God so desires.
In Moses case an angel appeared as fire, so it does seem that this being could have been an angel and was trying to communicate with you.

I can't say for sure what your experience was, but I hope the information I have given you clears things a little for you.