• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide by Gun

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Those law have to be for "tempted suicide".

Someone hits a low and they try to kill theirself and fail. Nothing like charging and prosecuting them as a way to say we're glad you survived.
I don't know about England, but in America it's not a crime.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's a different question, isn't it?

I don't see how this would help unless you ban all guns.
A single cartridge shotgun would be adequate.
While that may be, when you compare suicide rates between countries, there's a much closer correlation with handgun ownership than there is with long gun ownership.

Suave

Simulated character
Reduce access to handguns.
If I had known my friend who offed himself with his rifle was seriously considering killing himself, I would have asked to borrow his rifle, and I would have made every excuse possible to keep his rifle until he had overcome his bout with depression.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Another way might be to make people believe we will burn in hell (forever) if we kill ourselves. Just an idea.
Believe me that doesnt help. It just makes the person feel exteremely guilty and disgusting for considering it. And makes them not want to live more. I speak from personal experience.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Believe me that doesnt help. It just makes the person feel exteremely guilty and disgusting for considering it. And makes them not want to live more. I speak from personal experience.
That is a lot of negative experience for a person to have had. I hope it wasn't a long ordeal.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
That is a lot of negative experience for a person to have had. I hope it wasn't a long ordeal.
It also stops the person from seeking help. Really demonizing suicide is one of the worse things you can do.
I've considered multiple times in my life and attempted it once. Most religions often dont hold a lot of advice for it. I know cuz I looked up as many as I could and their views on it before attempting it

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I'm leaning that way to but maybe someone has a convincing argument otherwise.
There is maybe some exception if we consider people "not in the right frame of mind"?

Generally though, I wouldn't want that decision taken from me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If I had known my friend who offed himself with his rifle was seriously considering killing himself, I would have asked to borrow his rifle, and I would have made every excuse possible to keep his rifle until he had overcome his bout with depression.
I'm sorry about your friend.

If you thought that I was saying that people don't kill themselves with long guns, you misunderstood my position.

I'm talking about things like this:

If the US had the same suicide rates as in Canada, we estimate there would be approximately 25.9% fewer US suicide fatalities, equivalent to 11,630 suicide fatalities averted each year. This decline would be driven by a 79.3% lower rate of firearm-specific suicide fatalities. The male suicide fatality rate would be 28.8% lower and equivalent to 9,992 fewer suicide fatalities each year. The female suicide fatality rate would be 16.0% lower and equivalent to 1,638 fewer suicide fatalities each year. While 36% of firearm suicide fatalities could be replaced by non-firearm suicide fatalities, 64% of firearm fatalities could be averted entirely.
Suicide fatalities in the US compared to Canada: Potential suicides averted with lower firearm ownership in the US

Canada has fairly high firearm ownership rates. The biggest difference between Canada and the US on firearm policy is that handguns are considered restricted weapons (and because of this, much less prevalent than in the US).

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Does a person have a right to decide for themselves to end their life?
Yes, I have this right

I am the only one who knows what is best for me.

Other people should stick to their own business. Best not to point fingers at me, and they should realize that when they are pointing 1 finger at me, always 3 fingers point back at them