• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide by Gun

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Since the largest cause of death in the US by firearms is suicide,

What can be done to prevent firearm suicide?

And should we? Does a person have a right to decide for themselves to end their life?
Should we take this decision out of the hands of the individual?

_117886357_mass_shooting_proportion2x640-nc.png
America's gun culture in charts

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

And should we? Does a person have a right to decide for themselves to end their life?

_117886357_mass_shooting_proportion2x640-nc.png
America's gun culture in charts
I suppose it is a pretty much quick and guaranteed death. I believe it is a fundamental right for a person to be able to end their life. It used to be a criminal offence in the UK, godnose how they enforced that law.:rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Suicide is a person's right (IMO).
However, before doing it, it should get
careful consideration, & perhaps therapy.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Suicide remains a leading cause of death worldwide. Every year, more people die as a result of suicide than HIV, malaria, breast cancer or even war. In 2019, more than 700,000 people died by suicide: one in every 100 deaths. For every person who dies, 20 more have attempted suicide.

Suicide still treated as a crime in at least 20 countries, report finds
I had no idea it's a crime to attempt it in some countries...folks who attempt it often are ill they need help that's terrible.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Depends on circumstance. If it's due to treatable mental health then there should be intervention. If someone is terminally ill and suffering, then perhaps they should have the right to self euthanize.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I had a student a few years ago take his life when he found a loaded gun in a relative's desk. He was a kid struggling with learning disabilities and was extremely impulsive. Likely, had the gun been locked or even unloaded he wouldn't have done it and could have lived longer than 15 years.

Unfortunately, gun suicide deaths also corespond with access to alcohol.

While I do think people have a right to end their life, that needs to be balanced with access to healthcare and counseling. In a country failing at community support systems, regulating firearms with balancing individual rights is extremely important.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Suicide is a person's right (IMO).
However, before doing it, it should get
careful consideration, & perhaps therapy.
Yea. That's my view too but I think its important to try to convince people not to do it.

I don't think death is the end of one's problems. I think it speeds it up in respect to whatever happens next as we don't really control nature.

We Never Know

No Slack
I suppose it is a pretty much quick and guaranteed death. I believe it is a fundamental right for a person to be able to end their life. It used to be a criminal offence in the UK, godnose how they enforced that law.:rolleyes:

Interesting law.
I agree its a quick and near guaranteed way.
If someone wants to commit suicide they will find a way to do it, gun availible or not.

We Never Know

No Slack
Suicide remains a leading cause of death worldwide. Every year, more people die as a result of suicide than HIV, malaria, breast cancer or even war. In 2019, more than 700,000 people died by suicide: one in every 100 deaths. For every person who dies, 20 more have attempted suicide.

Those law have to be for "tempted suicide".

Someone hits a low and they try to kill theirself and fail. Nothing like charging and prosecuting them as a way to say we're glad you survived.

Audie

Veteran Member
I had one leg over the balcony, 17 floors up.
Somehow I didnt go through with it.

In HK there's no need for guns.

Falling 17 floors would be very very certain.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
More importantly, how do we make sure people know how to do it properly? I know a survivor of this and a very fortunate one. It can fail, and it can be worse than death.

Suave

Simulated character

Soon after we graduated from high school, one of my closest friends blew out his brains. Besides a bullet, I have no clue what was going through his mind during his departure from life. I knew he was stressed out by his parents divorce and him working long hours. I figured he was a bit depressed, but I failed to realize he was going to end his life. I wish there'd been something I could have done to help him out. .:(...

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Why is it terrible that it's against the law to murder yourself?
It's often a result of severe mental illness that needs to be treated. Attempting to kill yourself and being arrested for it after you didn't die shouldn't happen(read the article. A 7 year old attempted it and survived and they can be arrested in some countries) It shouldn't be punished but treated. And no I'm not going to argue about this. This is one of those subjects that would probably cause me to get banhammered if im not careful.

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character
I had one leg over the balcony, 17 floors up.
Somehow I didnt go through with it.

In HK there's no need for guns.

Falling 17 floors would be very very certain.

I'm glad you didn't jump to your earthly demise, and you are still here among us.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would consider any law against murdering oneself as being unenforceable.
The side effect of making suicide a crime is that, in many places, a doctor who assists a terminally ill person end their life on their own terms gets charged as an accessory.