• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide and damnation

rojse

RF Addict
Yes and no to both. I'm giving you this from my understanding as a Christian since there will be many views from many different beliefs. If you are saved (meaning that you gave your life to Christ....i.e confessed with your mouth and believed in your heart that Jesus died for your sins), then no you wont be damned to hell because he paid for all your sins past, present, and future. If not, then yes. As stated, this is from my understanding and is in no way the definite. I am only a man that can give opinions and thoughts. The true answer is only known by God and I pray that his mercy is on anyone that does commit suicide.

Just to make this clear, your understanding is that if you believe in Christ, confess, and commit suicide, you will not go to hell, but if you do not believe in Christ, or do not confess, and commit suicide, you will?

namguy

Two questions, for anyone that is religious to answer:

1. Will committing suicide damn you to hell?
2. Will being assisted to commit suicide damn you to hell?

Answers and comments, please.

If one is Saved by the Blood, Christ will not condem that soul too hell. Look at the story of Samson. When the Father told him to kill the Phillestines in the their temple He didn't mean for Samson too kill himself. At that time the Power of The Lord was upon him, he could have easely jumped into the center of the temple and killed them by hand.

Assisted suicide is just that, suicide. The beliefe in the Cleansing of our sins by the Blood Of Jesus Christ is what Saves us, nothing else. Some denominations believe one can loose their salvation, nonsense, how can one change what Christ has placed in their heart & soul, no one can. Let's break it down to a another degree...I like a certain cerial, this so called cerial is all that I'll eat, none others. Now no one can change my mind about that, see what I'm trying to say here? Once you believe in The Lord Jesus Christ no one can take that from you, and that's where Salvation lies...period.

Kcnorwood

Don't catholics believe that?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
In your ideal world, what would you have God sacrifice to show his love for us?
Since I figure holding my breath till you answer the question will end up in my own suffocation...

Why does God have to sacrifice anything to show he loves us?

But to play along in your little game...
How about he sacrifice his secret identity and show everyone that he loves us without all the asinine BS?

kmkemp

Since I figure holding my breath till you answer the question will end up in my own suffocation...

Why does God have to sacrifice anything to show he loves us?

But to play along in your little game...
How about he sacrifice his secret identity and show everyone that he loves us without all the asinine BS?

Your answer leads into my answer. You see, God cannot lose anything since he is infinite in all aspects. Nonetheless, it doesn't follow that he cannot sacrifice anything. After all, if we looked at this as an equation, infinity minus any number is still infinity. He has still given up "any number", but that has not changed his own quality of being infinite. So, let's suppose it was logically possible for God to sacrifice the only thing that would leave him at less than he currently is -- his quality of being infinite. Does that sacrifice really help us more than harm us? I like my God infinite, thank you.

gnostic

The Lost One
Wouldn't martyr be considered suicide?

If you don't do anything to avoid death, even though you have the power to do so, then some of these martyrs may be considered as assisted-suicide. I believed that many of the martyr saints were vain, and deliberately sought position where they can be put to death. Their belief my be strong, but to deliberately seek martyrdom is suicide, plain and simple.

rojse

RF Addict
Your answer leads into my answer. You see, God cannot lose anything since he is infinite in all aspects. Nonetheless, it doesn't follow that he cannot sacrifice anything. After all, if we looked at this as an equation, infinity minus any number is still infinity. He has still given up "any number", but that has not changed his own quality of being infinite. So, let's suppose it was logically possible for God to sacrifice the only thing that would leave him at less than he currently is -- his quality of being infinite. Does that sacrifice really help us more than harm us? I like my God infinite, thank you.

Such an abuse of the term infinity.

If God is "infinite in all aspects", as you claim, then he is both infinitely good, and infinitely evil, infinitely large, and infinitely small, infinitely fat and infinitely thin. You can see that these are contradictions that does not make any sense at all.

Nor does an infinite sum equal infinity.

For example, if you have the sum 2 + 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + ... which progesses infinitely, the end sum will equal four. There is a whole branch of mathematics that calculates an infinite sum, and works out a finite integer.

And for not being able to subtract any number from infinity, infinity minus itself equals zero.

Apart from that briefest of discussions on infinite mathematics, God does not have to sacrifice something, however much you have tried to abuse said idea, without sacrificing infinity. For example, if he made a public appearance, all he is sacrificing is his private image and several hours of his time. Considering that he is both omniprescent and omnipotent, that is not really a sacrifice at all, is it?

Scott C.

Just one guy
What can an all knowing all powerful entity sacrifice?

The Father sacrificed His Son and the Son sacrificed His life. I think you're correct that the Son did not lose or give up anything in the long run, since He was resurrected and continues to live today. The important thing to remember is that the Son suffered beyond comparison. He suffered to an infinite degree. It was more painful and difficult that we can imagine. He paid the price for the sins of all humanity. Now it's over and the Son of God no longer suffers.

Aasimar

Atheist
The Father sacrificed His Son and the Son sacrificed His life. I think you're correct that the Son did not lose or give up anything in the long run, since He was resurrected and continues to live today. The important thing to remember is that the Son suffered beyond comparison. He suffered to an infinite degree. It was more painful and difficult that we can imagine. He paid the price for the sins of all humanity. Now it's over and the Son of God no longer suffers.

What makes you say he suffered to an infinite degree? Because some people who wrote about it later said he did? I'm sure being beaten and whipped and crucified hurt something awful, and in that pain Jesus was far from alone, but as far as some kind of imaginary suffering due too our sins (Like, you sleep with members of the own sex hurts me like acid on my face.) is just ludicrous. Especially since all of god's supposed suffering is completely needless. Omnipotence, can do anything, doesn't need to make all these silly games out of everything.

I guess it's kinda like me feeling sorry for you because you feel bad that I'm kicking cats in the street, so in order for you to forgive me, you pour gasoline on yourself and light yourself on fire to prove to me how sorry you feel for me.

Of course, that doesn't make sense, but it gets even more bizarre with the God scenario, seeing as how once you are burned to a crisp and dead you *poof* back up as if nothing happened and tell me it's okay now that I kicked that cat, as long as I remember that you set yourself on fire and love you for it.

Scott C.

Just one guy
What makes you say he suffered to an infinite degree? Because some people who wrote about it later said he did? I'm sure being beaten and whipped and crucified hurt something awful, and in that pain Jesus was far from alone, but as far as some kind of imaginary suffering due too our sins (Like, you sleep with members of the own sex hurts me like acid on my face.) is just ludicrous. Especially since all of god's supposed suffering is completely needless. Omnipotence, can do anything, doesn't need to make all these silly games out of everything.

I guess it's kinda like me feeling sorry for you because you feel bad that I'm kicking cats in the street, so in order for you to forgive me, you pour gasoline on yourself and light yourself on fire to prove to me how sorry you feel for me.

Of course, that doesn't make sense, but it gets even more bizarre with the God scenario, seeing as how once you are burned to a crisp and dead you *poof* back up as if nothing happened and tell me it's okay now that I kicked that cat, as long as I remember that you set yourself on fire and love you for it.

You're making a lot of points here. Are you trying to understand what I believe on the atonement or just explain why you think it was not necessary?

As a Christian (LDS), I believe Jesus suffered far more than just the physical agony that any of us would suffer should we be abused the way Jesus was. Actually, as LDS, I believe this suffering also occurred in the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus prayed before the crucifiction. In this environment, there was no external physical force (such as crucifiction or beatings) to cause Him to suffer. The suffering in the Garden was all due to spriritual force that we can't fully understand.

kmkemp

Such an abuse of the term infinity.

If God is "infinite in all aspects", as you claim, then he is both infinitely good, and infinitely evil, infinitely large, and infinitely small, infinitely fat and infinitely thin. You can see that these are contradictions that does not make any sense at all.

Nor does an infinite sum equal infinity.

For example, if you have the sum 2 + 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + ... which progesses infinitely, the end sum will equal four. There is a whole branch of mathematics that calculates an infinite sum, and works out a finite integer.

And for not being able to subtract any number from infinity, infinity minus itself equals zero.

Apart from that briefest of discussions on infinite mathematics, God does not have to sacrifice something, however much you have tried to abuse said idea, without sacrificing infinity. For example, if he made a public appearance, all he is sacrificing is his private image and several hours of his time. Considering that he is both omniprescent and omnipotent, that is not really a sacrifice at all, is it?

Sure, you can ignore what you knew I meant by "infinite in all aspects" and make an irrelevant argument, I guess, but to what end? I guess I could have listed all of the qualities I was talking about, but I would probably leave some out and it would take quite a bit of time. Nonetheless, your "infinity math" is completely pointless here. Who said anything about an infinite sum??? Huh??? Infinity minus infinity equals zero??? So you are saying that God should destroy his existence to show his love for us? How logical is that? Alrighty then...

Aasimar

Atheist
You're making a lot of points here. Are you trying to understand what I believe on the atonement or just explain why you think it was not necessary?

As a Christian (LDS), I believe Jesus suffered far more than just the physical agony that any of us would suffer should we be abused the way Jesus was. Actually, as LDS, I believe this suffering also occurred in the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus prayed before the crucifiction. In this environment, there was no external physical force (such as crucifiction or beatings) to cause Him to suffer. The suffering in the Garden was all due to spriritual force that we can't fully understand.

I am trying to understand, but at the same time, I wonder where you get this belief that he suffered some spiritual pain that's infinitely worse, especially if we can't fathom it. Maybe it was nothing like pain, maybe it was just annoyance. Or discomfort. Or disgust. The thing I don't get is the "I don't understand what it was and I don't think we can, but it must have been really really bad" idea that seems to come forth here. It's just the concept of "We can't fully understand." but "We know it was bad." that gets me. This feeling like we don't know what it was, but it wasn't good and it was necessary, we can't define it, but we build an entire world-view around it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Sure, you can ignore what you knew I meant by "infinite in all aspects" and make an irrelevant argument, I guess, but to what end? I guess I could have listed all of the qualities I was talking about, but I would probably leave some out and it would take quite a bit of time. Nonetheless, your "infinity math" is completely pointless here. Who said anything about an infinite sum??? Huh??? Infinity minus infinity equals zero??? So you are saying that God should destroy his existence to show his love for us? How logical is that? Alrighty then...
talk about running into left field...

namguy

I explained it yesterday but my answer isn't here! I don't know what they did with it.

namguy

1. No. Christianity doesn't believe that specific actions damn you. We are all damned because we all have sinned. Suicide is just an action, like all sins, that reflects our broken and depraved human nature. Only grace can save us from that fate.

2. See above.

Suicide is like a cry for help. It is rarely an accident, and it is usually committed to achieve a result or make a point. It is a sign of pain inside the heart that has become too unrelenting to bear.

Every sin is like that, merely a sign of what is already on the inside that comes out. It is a depravity that drives everyone in different ways, usually depending on their circumstances. For example, a poor man might be driven to steal for the sake of survival. An angry man might be driven to murder or injure.

When the Bible says, 'do not' do this and 'do not' do that, one of the major reasons is to discourage the indulgence of man's depravity, because it drives him to harm himself and harm others. Really, when it comes to suicide, it's not a matter of 'will this damn me?' but more of a matter of 'will this accomplish anything good?'. And it certainly won't, no matter what your depravity has convinced you of.

Your wrong, we're not all damed, read your Bible if you believe in it.