• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stunning Covers ...

PureX

Veteran Member
... That are often better than the originals ...

I happened upon this a week or so ago. Kasey Chambers has long been a terrific Aussie singer - songwriter that I've listened to for many years. But even I was stunned by her performance of Emenem's "Lose Yourself" live on stage a few months back. She is known as a "country singer" although she really doesn't fit into any category, as many good singer-songwriters don't (Patty Griffin, Ani DiFranco, Billie Eilish, etc.). But this performance was even a surprise given that originality. For one thing, like many of these real creative types, she rarely does covers. And she wouldn't normally have reworked it if she had, out of respect for the original. But this was just a SPECTACULAR reimagining of Emenem's song!

(Stay to the end, it morphs as she goes.)

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Here's a young Billie Eilish and Finneas covering Micheal Jackson's "Bad". She takes it in the opposite direction as Kasey Chambers did (above). And she just 'crushed' it! Nothing but the most stripped down melody and lyrics, ... and talent beyond measure.

PureX

Veteran Member
Another amazing singer-songwriter doing a cover and just totally owning it ... Johnny Cash doing the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt". Here's a guy known for being a great songwriter doing a cover of someone else's song as his last performance on Earth. Amazing.

PureX

Veteran Member
Ani DiFranco is another creative singer-songwriter that rarely covers anyone else's music, but as a life-long political activist it's only natural that she'd end up covering an American classic from the Dust Bowl era; "Which Side Are You On". What all these covers have in common is the authentic passion of their delivery. Ani has been fighting for positive social and political change since she was literally a child at her mother's side.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Eva Cassidy had a stunning, emotional voice. Alas, she left this world just before more people would be blessed to hear her (age 33, from melanoma). She did a number of great covers, here's a sample:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly I quite dig all the covers sung by Tom Elis as Lucifer from well Lucifer