• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Started an Intro Class This Week

Dena

Every Rabbi wants conversion students to take an "Intro" class before their conversion. Non-Jewish spouses don't have to participate but are always welcome. I asked my husband to try to attend some of the classes with me so he would have a little more understanding and he agreed to do it. I expected the class to be dull, boring and very basic. I was pleasantly surprised that it's not just a Rabbi talking at us about things I already know. It actually involves discussion. Anyway, I couldn't read my husband through the class but he was participating. Afterward I asked him what he thought. He said it was more difficult than he had expected but then to my amazement, said that not only did he liked it but he is really looking forward to next weeks class. That is HUGE. I'm very happy that he's enthusiastically participating. Next week we'll be discussing concepts of God. I think it'll be interesting to see if he comes away from that class with any ideas (he's an atheist).

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
That's great Dena! I'm glad your husband is enthusiastic as well. Sounds like you two are in for the long haul.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Every Rabbi wants conversion students to take an "Intro" class before their conversion. Non-Jewish spouses don't have to participate but are always welcome. I asked my husband to try to attend some of the classes with me so he would have a little more understanding and he agreed to do it. I expected the class to be dull, boring and very basic. I was pleasantly surprised that it's not just a Rabbi talking at us about things I already know. It actually involves discussion. Anyway, I couldn't read my husband through the class but he was participating. Afterward I asked him what he thought. He said it was more difficult than he had expected but then to my amazement, said that not only did he liked it but he is really looking forward to next weeks class. That is HUGE. I'm very happy that he's enthusiastically participating. Next week we'll be discussing concepts of God. I think it'll be interesting to see if he comes away from that class with any ideas (he's an atheist).

That's great, Dena! Really awesome news!

Chag sukkot same'ach (Happy Sukkot)!

sunsplash

Freckled
How exciting, Dena! I wish my husband would be more openminded about taking classes or just speaking with a rabbi, but just the fact that he's discussing religion with me is a huge step. Have your hubby vibe over some "cool Jew" thoughts to my house, lol!

Dena

We'll, he's had a while to get used to the idea. Having no religion himself makes it a bit easier I think.