• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stars rotating around planets

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Because any system revolves around its center of mass. The mass of a star is large enough compared to any planet that the center of mass is within the star.

Now, there *are* binary star systems where the stars have about the same mass. In that case, they both revolve around a center point between the two stars.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Because any system revolves around its center of mass. The mass of a star is large enough compared to any planet that the center of mass is within the star.

Now, there *are* binary star systems where the stars have about the same mass. In that case, they both revolve around a center point between the two stars.

There is no planet in space larger or containing more mass than a star?

...I'd like to explore why that is.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
There is no planet in space larger or containing more mass than a star?

...I'd like to explore why that is.
Because anything the size of a star will become a star. The immense mass and gravity of celestial objects at that size causes fusion reactions to happen in the core--which, by definition, gives you a star.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if the planet had enough mass to pull a star into orbit
the planet would self ignite a fusion process.....and be a star

and of course it would already be a star upfront and pulling

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As a comparison. There are eight planets. The Earth is one of the smaller ones. Jupiter is about 300 times as massive as the Earth and the sun is about 1000 times as massive as Jupiter. The mass of the sun is about 99.86% of the total mass of the solar system.

The sun is a smallish star.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd also point out that there are objects called 'brown dwarfs' that are from about 10 to 80 times as massive as Jupiter. They are 'failed stars' in that they are not quite massive enough for the pressure to start nuclear reactions, but they are not usually classified as planets either.

@Landon Caeli

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'd also point out that there are objects called 'brown dwarfs' that are from about 10 to 80 times as massive as Jupiter. They are 'failed stars' in that they are not quite massive enough for the pressure to start nuclear reactions, but they are not usually classified as planets either.

That's very interesting. Thanks!