• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirituality and Atheism

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Do you believe that an atheist can be spiritual and vice versa? If so why so, if not why not.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Of course. Spirituality no longer necessarily clings to its etymology. As Sam Harris puts it:

Of course, “spiritual” and its cognates have some unfortunate associations unrelated to their etymology—and I will do my best to cut those ties as well. But there seems to be no other term (apart from the even more problematic “mystical” or the more restrictive “contemplative”) with which to discuss the deliberate efforts some people make to overcome their feeling of separateness—through meditation, psychedelics, or other means of inducing non-ordinary states of consciousness. And I find neologisms pretentious and annoying. Hence, I appear to have no choice: “Spiritual” it is.
In Defense of “Spiritual” : : Sam Harris

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you believe that an atheist can be spiritual and vice versa? If so why so, if not why not.

Of course, although I would rather use the less ambiguous word "religious" instead.

Atheism is of very little meaning or consequences, and certainly no obstacle for religious practice. If anything it can be an advantage.

The existence of religions that insist on the need for theism is just a historical accident and should not be taken too seriously.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Of course, although I would rather use the less ambiguous word "religious" instead.

Atheism is of very little meaning or consequences, and certainly no obstacle for religious practice. If anything it can be an advantage.

The existence of religions that insist on the need for theism is just a historical accident and should not be taken too seriously.

When I first came to the conclusion that gods were not literal beings, I joined an atheist forum. I started posted and mentioned that I still had a belief in certain things and was pretty much shut down right there and then. I was told it was all bunk and if that the existence of god was not real then none of hte other stuff would be as well. I have been wearing the label of atheist humanist/humanist atheist and kinda side stepped anything linked with spirituality and religion. All of the podcasts I listen to tend to poke fun at anything linked with those as well.

There seems to be this view that either you are all in or all out.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I first came to the conclusion that gods were not literal beings, I joined an atheist forum. I started posted and mentioned that I still had a belief in certain things and was pretty much shut down right there and then. I was told it was all bunk and if that the existence of god was not real then none of hte other stuff would be as well. I have been wearing the label of atheist humanist/humanist atheist and kinda side stepped anything linked with spirituality and religion. All of the podcasts I listen to tend to poke fun at anything linked with those as well.
As one who has been an atheist for 60 years, by the authority vested in me, I hereby
grant you permission to be an atheist, & still believe in all sorts of bunk (as do I).
If you don't believe in gods, then you're one of us.....one of us....one of us....

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
As one who has been an atheist for 60 years, by the authority vested in me, I hereby
grant you permission to be an atheist, & still believe in all sorts of bunk (as do I).
If you don't believe in gods, then you're one of us.....one of us....one of us....

Lol your posts always make me giggle.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is a separate question, IMO: does an Atheist need to be opposed to spirituality and religion?

No, he does not. But it may easily seem otherwise due to cultural circunstances.

Don't let those circunstances fool you. There is so much more for religion than what theism allows!

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami

Yes, this is the life I live.

Briefly, atheism means "without God." There are several spiritual paths that don't concern themselves with God. Buddhism is one of them.

Hoonaw

Child of the Universe
The answer is quite simple because spirituality does not imply having to believe in gods whatsoever. Yes, one can be a spiritual atheist even if considering both concepts in their most strict meaning, for they are perfectly compatible witth each other.

An atheist pantheist is just an example of a spiritual atheist.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Raw,
In watching your two videos, I was somewhat impressed.
I added these thoughts to the impression that I received.
The simplicity of "I".
The simplicity of "nothingness".
The "why" of forever.
The finality of "endlessness".
The memory of "Me".
~
Good thoughts, thank you.
~
'mud

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Back to the OP
Or somewhere in the netherland beyond breathlessness.
Is "spirituality" the loss of belief in a creator ?
Is it the loss of an internal absense of "soul" ?
Does it mean that eternity is not neccessarily infinity ?
Does it mean that I don't have to worship any form or entity ?
~
Why does the question "Spirituality and Atheism" have an 'and' in it ?
Why isn't 'or' there, why can't there be both ?
~
I still think spirituality means the memory of one's being,
after one's death, weather or not one is an Atheist or not.
~
Sorry....a death in the family does that to one, doesn't it ?
~
Like Nik used to say...:"Nuff stuff",
'mud

raw_thought

"Sorry....a death in the family does that to one, doesn't it ? Like Nik used to say...:"Nuff stuff","
'mud

My mother is dying. However, I want to keep this intellectual.* And I have lost a few friends lately. Death is not a rumor, its real!
Anyway, I wrote this poem;
OLD AGE
Everyone vanished
Their replacements
don't fool me!
* I hear ya! However, personal stuff does not translate well on the internet. As you implied. Hopefully, the intensity of my personal situation will facilitate spiritual understanding.

The Adept

Yes, because it will take time for changes in the biology of the brain to occur.
But knowing there is no god is atheism, even if accustomed to other thought processes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If "spirituality" can be taken to mean the manner and extent to which a person deals with their psychological self, then yes, an atheist not only can be spiritual, but would be in some manner and to some extent spiritual by definition.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
If "spirituality" can be taken to mean the manner and extent to which a person deals with their psychological self, then yes, an atheist not only can be spiritual, but would be in some manner and to some extent spiritual by definition.

I think a decent percentage of spirituality is psychological and I do not see that as a bad thing :)

Other atheists might argue otherwise.

Yes, you can define yourself as an atheist and also be spiritual.

This of course does not mean you will not meet the same sort of reaction from many other atheists that a Christian would get. Colloquially, many people equate atheism with lack of a belief in anything spiritual whatsoever - not just deities. But from the literal definition of the term, yes you can be a spiritual atheist. Just be prepared for certain reactions. Just as Hitchens started referring to Sam Harris as 'some sort of Buddhist' because of his spiritual writings, so will some others you meet have a difficult time referring to you as an atheist. People such as myself have a difficult time with it.