• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Evidence and Proofs of God’s Existence

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think anything would be enough for an atheist in this issue.
You know by now or ought to what it takes to convince a critical thinker - a sound, evidenced argument. Apologists don't have that to offer, and so can never make any progress. What do you suppose is the likeliest reason for not being able to make such a case would be? Hint: no false belief can be demonstrated to be correct, which is the corollary to no correct belief can be successfully refuted. For the critical thinker, the apologists continual inability to support their claims or refute those of their critics by those standards is the evidence that they are wrong.
It's been my experience that human nature is to pursue desirability such as beauty, charm, wealth, intellect, skill, and use. Charity is discarded and love of the virtuous kind is often seen as weakness.
That's not my experience, and I don't think that describes anybody I socialize with. That's not because such people don't exist, but because many charitable and loving people do exist, so many that it is easy to accumulate the one in one's social orbit and exclude the others, especially after retirement and expatriation, which eliminates coworkers and family - both the kinds of people you don't choose but might have to endure - from daily life.
There is one way to do this, in a comparative way. It can be done by comparing God to something similar, that is also held as true. Aliens from others planets and galaxies are anticipated/accepted to be true, by many people. What is the proof and why do you believe in something that you can not prove on demand, but only by circumstantial evidence, faith and conspiracy theory?
God isn't similar to extraterrestrials, and that's why the assessment of the likelihood of the existence of each is different. Moreover, experienced critical thinkers don't say that extraterrestrials exist, but rather that there is no known reason for them not to exist, and that all of the elements necessary for them to exist are known to be abundant in the universe. Proof isn't part of the process at all, the closest one can come is "proof" beyond reasonable doubt - an unfortunate phrase that should read compelling evidence. No faith is involved in critical thought, because it is designed to exclude ideas that depend on unjustified belief to be believed.

God as the Abrahamics conceive of it is a metaphysical concept, immune to detection, meaning unfalsifiable, and thus further consideration of the topic will be fruitless, leading to agnostic atheism). But this is not the case with possible extraterrestrial life. That's why we have SETI, but no search for anything called supernatural .
When speaking about evidences and proofs with regards to God here I am not speaking about scientific proofs but spiritual proofs.
The latter is a meaningless term. What you can have are spiritual experiences, but they don't tell you anything about reality except that you are capable of having such experiences - not what they signify about that reality. What you have are intuitions that resonate with you and which you interpret as descriptions of reality, a common habit, but not a helpful one. The critical thinker doesn't think like that. He understands that that experience is endogenous and purely subjective, like his experience of something being beautiful or valuable or funny.
I believe that the human mind cannot grasp God
They why think about it?
What are spiritual proofs and evidences of God? Some say the virtues.
How is that evidence of a god? The implication is that nature couldn't generate human beings with what human beings consider virtuous inclinations and acts.
Others, the transformative effect the Teachings of the Great Spiritual Teachers have had on the character of the individual and society.
The most transformative worldview by far has been humanism, which transformed alchemy into chemistry and subjects into autonomous citizens and moral agents.
These spiritual teachings from God work for the betterment of the world but only if practised.
But they have been practiced for millennia, and you see the result. The pinnacle of the Abrahamic religion in the West was medieval culture. Then came humanism, which set the world on the path to mutual tolerance, but it has been hampered by the religions and by authoritarian regimes since it appeared. Look at what the Christian church is doing in the States now with both its attempts to recriminalize abortion and oppress LGBTQ+. The religions need the humanists to teach them about freedom, tolerance and the Golden Rule, which they do by example, not lip service in sermons nobody is listening to. How about we go with what has a demonstrated track record instead of what has failed for centuries?
people do not understand that religion too is a science. The science of the love of God.
No, religion is the opposite of science. One is evidence-based, the other pure metaphysical speculation.
We live in an age of extreme materialism where things spiritual are not yet connected to human happiness.
I don't. Maybe you saw my response to a similar comment above. This is the dismal nihilism of these religions - that the world is a terrible place and only they have the answer - escape. But that's simply not true for growing numbers of people, who are relatively happy and comfortable, and love life. From "Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress" by Steven Pinker, 2018:

"Is the world really falling apart? Is the ideal of progress obsolete? In this elegant assessment of the human condition in the third millennium, cognitive scientist and public intellectual Steven Pinker urges us to step back from the gory headlines and prophecies of doom, which play to our psychological biases. Instead, follow the data: In 75 jaw-dropping graphs, Pinker shows that life, health, prosperity, safety, peace, knowledge, and happiness are on the rise, not just in the West, but worldwide. This progress is not the result of some cosmic force. It is a gift of the Enlightenment: the conviction that reason and science can enhance human flourishing. Far from being a naïve hope, the Enlightenment, we now know, has worked. But more than ever, it needs a vigorous defense. The Enlightenment project swims against currents of human nature—tribalism, authoritarianism, demonization, magical thinking—which demagogues are all too willing to exploit. Many commentators, committed to political, religious, or romantic ideologies, fight a rearguard action against it. The result is a corrosive fatalism and a willingness to wreck the precious institutions of liberal democracy and global cooperation."

nPeace

Veteran Member
But the Bible supports having multiple sexual partners... for men, at least.
The Bible supports it? No.
God disproved of it. Jesus confirmed that.
The Bible is a record of history, so it does not exclude things that people did - bad, or good.
The Bible is not a crutch. It is a document. It supports nothing. :D

AFAICT, the Bible doesn't say a word about smoking tobacco.
Bible principles help us with that. Hence, living by Bible standards / principles.
It does not say don't urinate in your neighbor's yard either... but it says to love him.
Hebrews 5:14

AFAICT, the Bible says nothing about drug use.
Same as above.

But the Bible often supports violence.
Same as above.

This story just came up in my feed the other day:

The opponents of a bill to outlaw using violence to punish kids with special needs in public schools cited several passages of the Bible to justify why they thought violence against special needs kids is sometimes not only warranted but actually required by God's commands.
Sad, how people misuse the Bible. :(

AFAICT, the Bible says nothing about profanity.
Yes. That it does say.
Ephesians 4:29, 30; Colossians 3:8

nPeace

Veteran Member
From believers in the Great JuJu at the bottom of the sea, who's lives have been transformed for the better according to the standards of the religion of the Great JuJu
Well. Go worship your Great JuJu if you have solid evidence for the reliability of the believers in the Great JuJu.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you prove that virtues are evolved traits?
No, nor need he.
I say they are from God. "Hardwired" into "the nature of" man. Can you prove me wrong?
No, nor need he.
You cannot read any book, and learn moral excellence.
Nor by hearing it from a pulpit. That's a good part of the problem the Abrahamic religions have, much of the rest being the poor example it sets with its bigotries, intolerances, and petty tribalism.
When a person says they studied the Bible, and you can clearly see that they study only the Torah, and sad to say, in their own understanding, you know they are babes, and can well understand why they study like a babe, and understand like a babe. They never move on to solid food - maturity.
No argument there, unless you are implying that other scripture is any more substantial. The Abrahamic religions promote the thinking you seem to be criticizing - immature thought. You are to remain in a childlike state of thinking such as magical thinking, belief by faith, and the moral development of childhood, which is that daddy knows everything and sees everything, and will reward and punish accordingly.
Those who think that religion discourages research and questioning, have really pulled the wool over their eyes ... Please give one example of religion discouraging criticism.
No, they are correct, and those who think otherwise are deceiving themselves. You say you want examples? Let's hear from two prominent theologians on the matter, Augustine and Luther:

"Scripture gives no false information." & "Since God has spoken to us it is no longer necessary for us to think." - St Augustine

"There is another form of temptation, even more fraught with danger. This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives us to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us nothing and which man should not wish to learn." - St. Augustine

"Since God has spoken to us it is no longer necessary for us to think." - St Augustine

"People gave ear to an upstart astrologer [Copernicus] who strove to show that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon. Whoever wishes to appear clever must devise some new system, which of all systems is of course the very best. This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred scripture tells us [Joshua 10:13] that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth." - Martin Luther

"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but-more frequently than not-struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."- Martin Luther
What is your evidence of the Great JuJu at the bottom of the sea?
The same as your evidence for a god.
Biblical archaeology is a science.
Archeology has falsified much of Exodus just as cosmology and biology have falsified most of Genesis.
No way Hose!
Jose, as in San Jose, aka St. Joseph.
Please tell that to those who keep asking for the scientific evidence for God.
I think you misunderstand them. Skeptics know that believers can't produce such evidence. When one asks, "Where's your evidence?" it should be understood as a rhetorical question, which is a statement such as "You don't have good evidence," not an actual request for anything, which goes back to the OP.
What is the truth about God? What is the purpose of life? What happens after death? Is there an afterlife? What will happen to the earth? What does the future hold? Is this life all there is? What is the source of true happiness? How did life begin?
If those questions can't be answered empirically (using evidence), then they can't be answered, and by answer, I mean a demonstrably correct answer, not an unfalsifiable guess. Religious speculation adds no knowledge.
If science is a study to find out answers about the natural worlds, is there any guarantee it will find those answers
No, but there's the guarantee I just gave - if it can't, nobody can, including theologians.
can we be sure we have found answers that are accurate?
If one's answers make testable predictions, then yes. If they are metaphysical speculations, then nothing at all can be said about their veracity ever.
Lumping all science in one package, and saying that they all deal with the same thing is something an unreasonable person would do.
Disagree. They all investigate physical reality empirically and physical laws and theories by induction that are testable while rejecting unfalsifiable claims.
Religious people knew the earth was circular, and not supported on anything thousands of years before science, of our modern era.
Spherical, not just circular. A coin is also circular. And if you are correct that they actually knew that, then they knew it scientifically - by properly interpreting evidence according to the laws of reason, the way the ancient Greeks determined that.
They also knew that the universe began to exist
No, they didn't. That was pure speculation common to all primitive cultures with a creation myth, hence the appearance of the word creation in the phrase.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The point is all those living by Bible standards do avoid all of them.
So do all those who live by common sense values.
Additionally, those who live by common sense also aren't homophobic and other types of intolerant unlike people who strictly live by biblical "standards".

Picking only those few that every decent person would agree on while ignoring all the nasty ones found in biblical "standards", isn't exactly an honest argument.

Glad to know you acknowledge they are "bad habits"... including using profanity.
Why wouldn't I?
Do you think I required a bible to come to such conclusion?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I know what he is doing. I'm not "dumb" - obtuse... as you seem to think.
I'm playing along. Why stop the game, when it's now getting started?

You see. The difference with the guy who has visions, dreams, revelations, and testimonies, which cause him to see the Great JuJu at the bottom of the sea, is that he is describing a brain storm - a tornado that just spun off of his mind.

So what's the difference again?

I always think it's funny how people instantly recognize their own fallacies when it's other people who engage in them using them in the exact same way to make a different point that they don't agree with.

Absolutely hilarious.
And a little sad also.

The Bible writers demonstrate that visions and dreams were not imagined thoughts, but divine - God breathed - knowledge.
Bible prophecy is both reliable and accurate.
The history of the Bible is both reliable, and accurate.
We can trust the testimony of credible witnesses. You disagree?
See?

PS: "testimony" is the number one reason that people get wrongfully convicted.
This is so because "testimony" is notoriously unreliable.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well. Go worship your Great JuJu if you have solid evidence for the reliability of the believers in the Great JuJu.
I don't have solid reliable evidence.
I have testimony.

Just like every religious believer of every religion.

It's what distinguishes religious faith from evidence based knowledge.

If you have solid reliable evidence, then you have no need for "faith".

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
When speaking about evidences and proofs with regards to God here I am not speaking about scientific proofs but spiritual proofs. I believe that the human mind cannot grasp God so it is fruitless trying to prove God scientifically as we are told He is Spirit. Then to prove God we need to look at spiritual evidences.

What are spiritual proofs and evidences of God? Some say the virtues. Others, the transformative effect the Teachings of the Great Spiritual Teachers have had on the character of the individual and society. Still others say miracles.

Readers might like to contribute by adding how their Prophet’s teachings transformed the life of the individual and society or add their own spiritual proofs of God’s existence.
When we speak of evidence, there is only a few types that are legitimately evidence. The first is empirical observation, the foundation of scientific method. The second is good logic.

The problem with "spiritual proofs" is that they violate the rules of logic, thus are worthless.

There is a really really good series on YouTube on the psychology of belief. It is a set of twelve short videos, each of which explores a different common form of irrational reasoning used by religionists. The videos go into appropriate detail, showing how valid experimentation has documented that these sorts of assumptions are flawed. Because it is a group of 12 videos, I cannot paste the link to all twelve -- that would overwhelm my post. But if you want to find it, go to YouTube, search for "psychology of belief" and look for the series that has twelve videos and a picture of Satan in classic red suit.

I will provide the link to just one, for those who prefer not to be bothered with searching.

nPeace

Veteran Member
No, they are correct, and those who think otherwise are deceiving themselves. You say you want examples? Let's hear from two prominent theologians on the matter, Augustine and Luther:

"Scripture gives no false information." & "Since God has spoken to us it is no longer necessary for us to think." - St Augustine
I need the context. I don't take things as black and white, unless they clearly are. What did St Augustine mean?
Did he mean, God said it, and so there is no need to second guess God? Or did he mean, we read it in the Bible, so no need to think about it?
As you can see, there are two different 'interpretations' of what Augustine said.
You seem to be running with the latter. Are you? If yes, why?

"There is another form of temptation, even more fraught with danger. This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives us to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us nothing and which man should not wish to learn." - St. Augustine
Sound reasonable.
My understanding of what he said, is that there is no need to go searching into the unknown, just because you do not want to accept the known :p to come up with bogus answers like multiverse and such like.
I think that pretty much is seen if you read the context.
which drives us to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which can avail us nothing

I mean, who does not want to learn and discover things? Only someone in an asylum
We are all happy to discover what is true reality.

"People gave ear to an upstart astrologer [Copernicus] who strove to show that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon. Whoever wishes to appear clever must devise some new system, which of all systems is of course the very best. This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred scripture tells us [Joshua 10:13] that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth." - Martin Luther
Um. This sounds like the scientists who said yesterday, Blah Blah Blah. This is the case, and then came back the next day and said, Blah Blah Blah. No. Sorry, this is the case. We thought that was the case.
What's wrong with that. I thought you guys said that's how science works.
Or is this a case of the man who prayed, "Lord, I thank you that I am not like that other man."?

"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but-more frequently than not-struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."- Martin Luther
Again... Context. Your own reasoning - Not reason, which Martin knows full well the Bible encourages.
When we read the words of Paul, at 1 Corinthians 1:26-30, and 1 Corinthians 3:18-22, as well as Romans 1:22, we understand what Martin is saying.
Martin was no idiot. Most people don't yhink carefully of what they read, or hear. They simply run with what they want to hear.

The same as your evidence for a god.

Archeology has falsified much of Exodus just as cosmology and biology have falsified most of Genesis.
No. The opinions of scholars falsifies nothing.
Since science can never prove anything, and is ongoing study, it is not accurate to reach such a conclusion... unless of course one simply does not like to find sufficient evidence... which is how science works.

Jose, as in San Jose, aka St. Joseph
Oh. Thanks.
You taught me something. See. My head is not so hard. :D

I think you misunderstand them. Skeptics know that believers can't produce such evidence. When one asks, "Where's your evidence?" it should be understood as a rhetorical question, which is a statement such as "You don't have good evidence," not an actual request for anything, which goes back to the OP.
Oh. I knew it. All that time I was just wasting my time. :facepalm:
Thanks. Thing is, when I tell Skeptics that's the case, they deny it.

If those questions can't be answered empirically (using evidence), then they can't be answered, and by answer, I mean a demonstrably correct answer, not an unfalsifiable guess. Religious speculation adds no knowledge.
The Bible does not contain guesses.
Is this your definition of empirical - by means of observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.?
If not, give me your definition. Let's talk about it.

Disagree. They all investigate physical reality empirically and physical laws and theories by induction that are testable while rejecting unfalsifiable claims.
Using reason. Yes?

Spherical, not just circular. A coin is also circular. And if you are correct that they actually knew that, then they knew it scientifically - by properly interpreting evidence according to the laws of reason, the way the ancient Greeks determined that.
According to that reasoning, we know nothing. It's just scientists telling us things.
Is that what you are saying?

No, they didn't. That was pure speculation common to all primitive cultures with a creation myth, hence the appearance of the word creation in the phrase.
Huh. Run that by me again. This time, in its most basic form.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I'd say the spiritual evidence and proof of God's existence lays directly on religion itself. Does your religion practice generosity? If it doesn't, it's not being part of the divinity we all experience as beings who possess a finite amount of such. If your religion makes the world a better place, that to me is evidence of God, and if it doesn't, than its divinity should be in question. Which is funny because as a member of Earthseed I don't believe my religion has the opportunity to make the world a better place (except for this).

The religion that I believe is doing the best to make the world a better place is the Baha'i Faith. I fully believe and support the message the Baha'u'llah taught some 150 years ago or so. We are in a period of building the unity of humankind. Perhaps after we do this (which won't be until long after I'm already dead), Baha'is will turn to the Kardashev Scale as have I to understand our role in the Universe. Baha'is show an exemplifying example of divinity and understanding of various religions, even if they get a few things wrong.

But the Baha'is aren't necessarily just proving that God exists, but rather, they are also creating God's presence. And to me they are the example everybody should strive for. While I don't agree with all of their beliefs, I think they can be too restrictive at times, but for being just five million members world wide they possess an undoubtedly strong understanding of not just their religion but the religions they unify with. The Baha'i Faith is the unity of religion. And honestly, if I were a better person, I would follow the Baha'i Faith until the next Messenger was found.

The religion creates God by unifying unlike religions together, and that to me proves that God exists.

nPeace

Veteran Member
So do all those who live by common sense values.
Additionally, those who live by common sense also aren't homophobic and other types of intolerant unlike people who strictly live by biblical "standards".

Picking only those few that every decent person would agree on while ignoring all the nasty ones found in biblical "standards", isn't exactly an honest argument.

Why wouldn't I?
Do you think I required a bible to come to such conclusion?
No. It just contradicts your claim to being a moral person, while knowing that you practice bad habits, like using profanity.
I just mention that fact.

nPeace

Veteran Member
So what's the difference again?

I always think it's funny how people instantly recognize their own fallacies when it's other people who engage in them using them in the exact same way to make a different point that they don't agree with.

Absolutely hilarious.
And a little sad also.
That's on;y a cover up for not laughing at yourself.
You seem to have a problem listening to anyone but yourself.
If you did, you would see there is a difference, but you can't because you can only hear yourself.
There is a big difference, which I repeatedly highlighted. Lol.

See?

PS: "testimony" is the number one reason that people get wrongfully convicted.
This is so because "testimony" is notoriously unreliable.
Not when it is verified with evidence, No.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I don't have solid reliable evidence.
I have testimony.

Just like every religious believer of every religion.

It's what distinguishes religious faith from evidence based knowledge.

If you have solid reliable evidence, then you have no need for "faith".
Sorry. No. Try reading what is said by others, and not reading what you write, and you will see.
I'm not the only one pointing out that you have conversations with yourself... and we all know why.
Why bury your head in the sand.
Come up for air, chief. :laughing:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No. It just contradicts your claim to being a moral person, while knowing that you practice bad habits, like using profanity.
I just mention that fact.

1. who says I use profanity?

2. there's nothing inherently immoral (or moral) about certain words. Morality is about how your behavior affects others. Me saying "F*CK!!!!" when I accidentally smash my finger with a hammer, does not affect other people negatively in any way and thus that isn't immoral at all.

3. the point at hand had nothing to do with me being a moral person. The topic was the bible. And your dishonest cherry picking